ADVERTISEMENT

It’s truly remarkable how bad guard recruiting has been

Nope He just simply didn't want to sit behind McIntosh two years in a row. It was as simple as that, and was quite obvious...

And he was not a B1G PG or LG. He was a SG and not a guy to play much D.

But hey, let’s see how is assist to turnover ratio develops at his new home.

And he was not a B1G PG or LG. He was a SG and not a guy to play much D.

But hey, let’s see how is assist to turnover ratio develops at his new home.
He subbed him for Bmac when he did pkay most of the time, so I guess Collins thought he was a PG.

Well, while I know little about Underwood, he has accomplished as much as CCC in his first year in the B1G. He has four ncaa appearances, conferences championships and a pretty impressive overall HC record.

So based on his credentials, I suspect he should make as much if not more than CCC. Might be fairer to judge after he has his own players and see what has been accomplished.
Huh? Illinois was a 20-win team in the season prior to Underwood, and 14 after, with half the BIG wins. CC sctually improved our total from Carmody on both fronts.

Reactions: willycat
He subbed him for Bmac when he did pkay most of the time, so I guess Collins thought he was a PG.

First, who else was there to sub? Ash? Gaines? Tallest midget.

Second, proof will be in the pudding. I am on record stating CCC made a mistaken w Brown. CCC thought he could play LG, I thought was not the case.

Brown was not successful in LG role at NU. Did some highlight stuff, but clearly not LG stuff as evidenced by his diminished PT and subsequent transfer.

Now he is playing somewhere and putting stats together. So, let’s see. Wanna to fashion a bet related to Brown’s ability to play PG? I’m guessing there is zero chance you will make a bet in that vein and 100% chance you will craft a variety of excuses to explain it away.

Well, while I know little about Underwood, he has accomplished as much as CCC in his first year in the B1G. He has four ncaa appearances, conferences championships and a pretty impressive overall HC record.

So based on his credentials, I suspect he should make as much if not more than CCC. Might be fairer to judge after he has his own players and see what has been accomplished.
He also left a program that was/is under NCAA investigation.

Huh? Illinois was a 20-win team in the season prior to Underwood, and 14 after, with half the BIG wins. CC sctually improved our total from Carmody on both fronts.

Well, looks like underwood lost 8 players, 6 to graduation and two to coaching change. Also, the two big time recruits to Groce decommited and Underwood was forced to bring in some real crap.

But again, let’s see how it plays out. Want to wager year five CCC vs year five Underwood - the first season each coach had their own players? I dunno know how it will play out but Underwood has shown some recruiting success and historic coaching success.

Second, proof will be in the pudding. I am on record stating CCC made a mistaken w Brown. CCC thought he could play LG, I thought was not the case.

Brown was not successful in LG role at NU. Did some highlight stuff, but clearly not LG stuff as evidenced by his diminished PT and subsequent transfer.

Now he is playing somewhere and putting stats together. So, let’s see. Wanna to fashion a bet related to Brown’s ability to play PG? I’m guessing there is zero chance you will make a bet in that vein and 100% chance you will craft a variety of excuses to explain it away.
Isn't Mr. Brown sitting this season out, after transferring? Guess we'll have to wait a bit to see his exploding numbers.

He also left a program that was/is under NCAA investigation.

I saw that too. This question started about compensation and who should make more. Seems like the east coach is or has been riddled with well paid coaches that leave one program after another under a cloud to take the next one to greatness.

Not saying I want that or agree with that. But under the question of compensation, the industry pays for results. Always has.

Isn't Mr. Brown sitting this season out, after transferring? Guess we'll have to wait a bit to see his exploding numbers.

Your right. I was thinking about Vassar. But that what long memories and the archives are good for. Wager offer stands.

I saw that too. This question started about compensation and who should make more. Seems like the east coach is or has been riddled with well paid coaches that leave one program after another under a cloud to take the next one to greatness.

Not saying I want that or agree with that. But under the question of compensation, the industry pays for results. Always has.
They also pay for the fines that the NCAA orders.

Your right. I was thinking about Vassar. But that what long memories and the archives are good for. Wager offer stands.
Vassar had another rough night last night: 1-7 from the floor, 1 assist, 2 TOs in 26 minutes. Gotta be tough to get any rhythm after essentially sitting out 4 years.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Vassar had another rough night last night: 1-7 from the floor, 1 assist, 2 TOs in 26 minutes. Gotta be tough to get any rhythm after essentially sitting out 4 years.

Might have just been a stretch of a recruit for P5

Reactions: Pukecat
Might have just been a stretch of a recruit for P5

He has rare, rare physical gifts which he did not know how to use at PG. (as an aside, Isiah Thomas could jump higher than anyone on his St. Joe's team....any maybe even Indiana team....though Tony Brown could jump...but he never dunked in a game)

When he played as a frosh it was mostly for defensive situations...very end of half or end of game...situational....D only.

Bunch of large programs offered when he was in early high school...want to say Illinois as a freshman.

Well, looks like underwood lost 8 players, 6 to graduation and two to coaching change. Also, the two big time recruits to Groce decommited and Underwood was forced to bring in some real crap.

But again, let’s see how it plays out. Want to wager year five CCC vs year five Underwood - the first season each coach had their own players? I dunno know how it will play out but Underwood has shown some recruiting success and historic coaching success.
CC managed to keep Crawford, so it is possible to keep the other coache's recruits. And Underwood is a terrible in- when game coach. He has been stubbornly trying to get his players to run a scheme that is totally inappropriate for them for a year plus now, with a grand total of 15 wins to show for it. Contrast to Collins, who quickly adjusted in year 1 when he saw his players could not run his scheme...

I'd wager you, but sadly, you have no screenname left to offer me...

Well. apparently SOMEONE did, or else Haywood would have not felt the need to post...
I think you missed the joke. The original thought was that it was ironic that Collins used a spare scholarship on a guy who wasn't B1G potential.......and NU couldn't use that spare for subsequent years. Haywood was building on the irony. A couple of well crafted thoughts!

I think you missed the joke. The original thought was that it was ironic that Collins used a spare scholarship on a guy who wasn't B1G potential.......and NU couldn't use that spare for subsequent years. Haywood was building on the irony. A couple of well crafted thoughts!
Oh, OK, I thought he was commenting on the reason why the schollie was open in the first place- that Carmody always had short rosters...

Oh, OK, I thought he was commenting on the reason why the schollie was open in the first place- that Carmody always had short rosters...
I'm not going to do the research to back it up, but my impression was BC always used his full complement of scholarships, but often to really bad players (Ajou, Turner, many others).

Reactions: IGNORE2
I'm not going to do the research to back it up, but my impression was BC always used his full complement of scholarships, but often to really bad players (Ajou, Turner, many others).
Yeah, that may be it. Just always seemed like we were short players I guess..

CC managed to keep Crawford, so it is possible to keep the other coache's recruits. And Underwood is a terrible in- when game coach. He has been stubbornly trying to get his players to run a scheme that is totally inappropriate for them for a year plus now, with a grand total of 15 wins to show for it. Contrast to Collins, who quickly adjusted in year 1 when he saw his players could not run his scheme...

Wager on year 5? It’s a blind wager. CCC results are in. Odds are in your favor. Underwood might not make it five years. Cmon Mikey, let’s bet!

And down we go into the BC CCC rabbit hole. Cue the usual suspects and arguments. Anyone have the script handy?

Just pull a LG off the street and give him the extra unused scholarship, so that the board can complain about him because he isn’t a Big Ten caliber backup guard.
Well, it has been suggested that NU pull someone off the soccer team to kick FGs, so maybe there is someone playing IMs who can play PG.....

Just pull a LG off the street and give him the extra unused scholarship, so that the board can complain about him because he isn’t a Big Ten caliber backup guard.

Isn’t there an argument around here that CCC deserves to be a top paid B1G coach because of his recruiting abilities?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT