ADVERTISEMENT

It'll be Northwestern or Stanford for 3-star RB Nathaniel Peat

We might find out on this one whether the new facilities will pay off as we know that Stanford's location and campus is tough to beat.

I wonder if Stanford is going to take two running backs and if the offer is there is still commitable. They already have one commitment from a highly-rated back from Oakland. And Brock, per Denny's, is likely headed to Iowa State which, if true, leaves us with two promising recruits still considering our offers.

I wonder if Stanford is going to take two running backs and if the offer is there is still commitable. They already have one commitment from a highly-rated back from Oakland. And Brock, per Denny's, is likely headed to Iowa State which, if true, leaves us with two promising recruits still considering our offers.

Yes.

Seems like Iowa State is making a late push. Either way, don't think he ends up in Evanston.
I thought ISU had gotten another RB (Breese Hall) about the same size with similar offers just a couple days ago

Didn't ISU just get a similar RB?

It is between NU and Minny.
Geez, that isn't good. PJ Fleck is really doing good for Minny with Illinois recruits. Already has plucked 2 of the top 5 Illinois kids and Brock would make 4. I prefer taking my chances against Stanford with the other RB as Minny seems to be the college of choice for "Top" Illinois talent this year. Yikes!

Geez, that isn't good. PJ Fleck is really doing good for Minny with Illinois recruits. Already has plucked 2 of the top 5 Illinois kids and Brock would make 4. I prefer taking my chances against Stanford with the other RB as Minny seems to be the college of choice for "Top" Illinois talent this year. Yikes!

fleck is a used car salesman whose Schtick is appealing to a certain kind of kid. I won’t shed any tears over kids that pick Minnesota over NU.

fleck is a used car salesman whose Schtick is appealing to a certain kind of kid. I won’t shed any tears over kids that pick Minnesota over NU.

Or Iowa State for that matter. For my money... If a kid can't differentiate between the opportunities at NU, Minnesota, and Iowa State, then all the best to him.

Any recruit that chooses Minnesota or Iowa State over NU is not prioritizing academics. In the latest US News rankings, NU is ranked #11 with Minnesota at #69 and Iowa State as #115. And please spare me the b.s. about certain majors...there is no way Brock has a prospective major that is playing into his decision. I really hope there is a Principal or Guidance Counselor at Brock's high school that can set him straight.

Or Iowa State for that matter. For my money... If a kid can't differentiate between the opportunities at NU, Minnesota, and Iowa State, then all the best to him.

From everything I’ve heard, Coach campbell at ISU runs a pretty decent program. My comments regarding Fleck and Minnesota were not solely aimed at the difference in academic prestige of the two universities.

Nubin is pretty good.

While I agree that he looks good on tape, his Opening results were enough to make me go "hmm..." This is from this year's Las Vegas regional, which drew a ton of national guys for whatever reason (FULL RESULTS HERE; Nubin is at 90.12 overall in the annoyingly-unsortable/unsearchable PDF posting that Nike is doing this year):

Height: 6-1.5
Weight: 189
40: 4.74
SS: 4.56
VJ: Either 35 or 38 (I'm going to assume the 358 is a typo, but would love to see that one)

This was on a day reported to be 80 degrees and sunny where plenty of guys were running in the 4.5s and 4.6s. That's... not a very good testing day for a DB.

Again, I would love to have him based on tape because he looks like a big, long corner with change of direction skills, but those results are at least enough to make you re-evaluate the tape:

Last edited:
From everything I’ve heard, Coach campbell at ISU runs a pretty decent program. My comments regarding Fleck and Minnesota were not solely aimed at the difference in academic prestige of the two universities.

My comment stands.

So? I disn’t say they weren’t good. I think that most kid that fall for the Fleck pitch are not the poster child FItz recruit.
Kids go to schools for all kinds of reasons. I have been very clear on my opinion of Fleck, but going after a 17 year old kid for “falling for the Fleck pitch” is very harsh to me. Would think he has a circle of adults around him in the decision making process including family and coaches.

We don’t always go after choir boys, but you know better than most that NU’s background checks are as good as anyone’s.

Reactions: NUCat320 and 2388bb
Kids go to schools for all kinds of reasons. I have been very clear on my opinion of Fleck, but going after a 17 year old kid for “falling for the Fleck pitch” is very harsh to me. Would think he has a circle of adults around him in the decision making process including family and coaches.

We don’t always go after choir boys, but you know better than most that NU’s background checks are as good as anyone’s.

I am not saying they are bad kids. I think they are kids who are less mature, focused and ambitious than most of the kids FItz lands.

I am not saying they are bad kids. I think they are kids who are less mature, focused and ambitious than most of the kids FItz lands.
Some times they are ambitious with a different order of priority. I bet there are plenty of guys who hope that college gang bangs have just gone under ground.

I have no idea what Brock's major will but Iowa State has a fine engineering school. Also, I have been to 5 games there the last few years and the crowds and gameday experience far exceed those of NU's. Don't know how much that matters to the players.

I have no idea what Brock's major will but Iowa State has a fine engineering school. Also, I have been to 5 games there the last few years and the crowds and gameday experience far exceed those of NU's. Don't know how much that matters to the players.

1) I would be shocked if Brock ends up an engineering major.

2) Choosing ISU over NU for engineering would be pretty dumb on a “Jordan Thomas the petroleum engineer” level.

THe other RB is a different kind of guy. More a speedster at 5'8 170, he doesn't fill the same kind of role

I understand the agriculture program is also noteworthy.

I love the Jordan Thomas reference and still remember that recruitment after all these years. Just tells me that other than first hand knowledge of the prospect and the recruitment, all the speculation is perhaps fun but frequently wrong. All OK. We win some, we lose some. Keep the ball moving forward in increments. A little better group of athletes this year than last year.

Reactions: NUCat320
Any recruit that chooses Minnesota or Iowa State over NU is not prioritizing academics. In the latest US News rankings, NU is ranked #11 with Minnesota at #69 and Iowa State as #115. And please spare me the b.s. about certain majors...there is no way Brock has a prospective major that is playing into his decision. I really hope there is a Principal or Guidance Counselor at Brock's high school that can set him straight.
That's misleading. It depends upon which program and which specialty a player is interested in. In Business, there are some programs at Minny that I'm certain rank higher than NU. I"d even say that maybe 7 or 8 other BigTen teams are ranked higher in certain business specialties than NU. Same with engineering. NU is better known for its graduate programs and research. Medill is solid though. And the undergrad is solid as a general overview with a #11 but even Ohio State has better programs in some areas. So, it depends upon what a student is interested in.

That's misleading. It depends upon which program and which specialty a player is interested in. In Business, there are some programs at Minny that I'm certain rank higher than NU. I"d even say that maybe 7 or 8 other BigTen teams are ranked higher in certain business specialties than NU. Same with engineering. NU is better known for its graduate programs and research. Medill is solid though. And the undergrad is solid as a general overview with a #11 but even Ohio State has better programs in some areas. So, it depends upon what a student is interested in.

So you’ll find whatever excuse you can to crap on NU, eh?

GTFOH

No.

that escalated quickly
When I was a Sr. in High school I went to a Fraternity pledge weekend at Illinois. I pledged the fraternity that had the prettiest girl who paid the most attention to me. I didn't realize it at the time but now 45 year later, I'm sure of it. Not my proudest moment by a long shot. 17 year old brains don't always prioritize in a predictable of respectable way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT