ADVERTISEMENT

Izzo postgame interview

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
From the MSU radio network. Loosely quoted.

We’ve been good. There’s a big difference between good and great and great and elite. And we’ve just been good.

They didn’t beat us on skill, they beat us on effort categories, and that’s on me. (Defense, rebounding, turnovers are the effort categories )

Audige usually takes a bunch of bad shots and he didn’t take any.

Izzo also called out Nicholson and Roper as Michigan kids who MSU didn’t offer and who played well.

He was definitely, as always in defeat to NU, more critical of his team than complimentary of NU :) He only likes NU when they lose to him.

Tom Izzo is like the Nebraska fanbase. They’re all class and warmth until they lose to someone they consider inferior.
He hasn’t felt this poor since NU beat them last year. After that game he also gave NU no credit and it was all about his guys playing horribly. He’s a sore loser and he’s also full of shit with the over the top compliments of NU or any other team when he wins.

Well.... are we trying to pretend that NU isn't inferior to MSU usually? We played a hell of a game today and caught MSU on a bad night trying to defend a long winning streak. Take nothing away from our guys, but clearly that MSU team is more skilled, but we played a helluva' game.

Tom Izzo is like the Nebraska fanbase. They’re all class and warmth until they lose to someone they consider inferior.
Having traveled to Lincoln with both the football team and the men's basketball team for NU wins in both cases, I have to say that Ive found the UNL fans THE nicest fans in college sports, bar none. Lots of stories can be told, but they were extremely gracious, hospitable and friendly to a fault, even in losses.

Well.... are we trying to pretend that NU isn't inferior to MSU usually? We played a hell of a game today and caught MSU on a bad night trying to defend a long winning streak. Take nothing away from our guys, but clearly that MSU team is more skilled, but we played a helluva' game.
We didn’t play a hell of a game. We shot a horrible 34%. That right there makes it not a hell of a game. MSU definitely helped with their turnovers but give our defense credit.

We also shot 58% from the free throw line. If you had told me we would shoot 34% from the field and 58% from the free throw line I would say it’s an easy 20 point loss.

MSU certainly didn’t play their best but neither did we. But we won so let’s not make it look like the talent level is the Globetrotters against the Generals. MSU is more talented but you sound like Izzo where any good team has to play horrible and we have to play lights out to win because there’s such a disparity in talent and skill. Not the case.

Wow, did he really say that? I hope that message gets passed along to Chase and he takes it upon himself to prove opposing coaches wrong the rest of the season.
I’d agree with izzo in that instance. Too often audige gets the ball and is determined he’s shooting it. He’s a much better player when he lets it come via the offense

Wow, did he really say that? I hope that message gets passed along to Chase and he takes it upon himself to prove opposing coaches wrong the rest of the season.
Loosely quoting, but he definitely called out Audige’s lack of terrible shots. It was a classic radio network interview: “tell me your thoughts, coach”, followed by five minutes of stream of consciousness.

Not a pretty game, but a less-skilled-than-most-opponents Cats team should seek to ugly it up a little. Defense should get you minutes.

Reactions: hdhntr1

We’ve been good. There’s a big difference between good and great and great and elite. And we’ve just been good.

They didn’t beat us on skill, they beat us on effort categories, and that’s on me. (Defense, rebounding, turnovers are the effort categories )

Izzo also called out Nicholson and Roper as Michigan kids who MSU didn’t offer and who played well.

He was definitely, as always in defeat to NU, more critical of his team than complimentary of NU :) He only likes NU when they lose to him.
Being a Boiler, we have seen this act before.

We didn’t play a hell of a game. We shot a horrible 34%. That right there makes it not a hell of a game. MSU definitely helped with their turnovers but give our defense credit.

We also shot 58% from the free throw line. If you had told me we would shoot 34% from the field and 58% from the free throw line I would say it’s an easy 20 point loss.

MSU certainly didn’t play their best but neither did we. But we won so let’s not make it look like the talent level is the Globetrotters against the Generals. MSU is more talented but you sound like Izzo where any good team has to play horrible and we have to play lights out to win because there’s such a disparity in talent and skill. Not the case.
We have a very thin margin of error when we are going up against a team like MSU. . We did a lot of good things in this game including playing great D. Our O was so so but our D and hustle plays (rebounding and turnovers) enabled that to be enough despite playing so so on O. If we shoot 40-45% and playing the rest of the game the way that we did, it would have been a blowout.

He said both Chase and Boo usually take bad shots.....I watched the whole interview, and it was fascinating. He is nothing but brutally honest. His respect for Collins is apparent.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and drewjin
He said both Chase and Boo usually take bad shots.....I watched the whole interview, and it was fascinating. He is nothing but brutally honest. His respect for Collins is apparent.
From the game recap on ESPN.com:

"If there's a guy who deserves a big win other than Chris Collins, I don't know him," Izzo said.

From the game recap on ESPN.com:

"If there's a guy who deserves a big win other than Chris Collins, I don't know him," Izzo said.
Yeah, total dick. 🤣

I have a hard time not thinking that we're seeing some paraphrasing of Izzo, but maybe he didn't engage in coach-speak and actually said what most people already know. 🤷‍♂️

They might be better than NU, but I don't think by all much. They didn't exactly thump the Cats in the first meeting, which NU led much of the way. Northwestern has some talent, but they just need to make some damned free throws and finish games.

Yeah, total dick. 🤣

I have a hard time not thinking that we're seeing some paraphrasing of Izzo, but maybe he didn't engage in coach-speak and actually said what most people already know. 🤷‍♂️
If you watch his interview, while he was extremely critical of the team, he did say multiple times NU is a good team. Lots of praise for Ryan Young as well.

This is an awful take. As others have said, NU didn’t play exceptionally well.

Fact is that the Cats are not all that far away from being near the top of the conference standings. Have been in every single Big Ten game (including against MSU previously). Of course, almost doesn’t count for much and the loss to Penn State was particularly brutal. But let’s not pretend it was David vs. Goliath today, no matter what the rankings said.

why would he be any other way? What’s the alternative? All things aside… Admitting he beat an inferior opponent is a jerk move that belittles them, while also downplays his team’s success. Conversely, we’re clearly inferior to their program - would you like to hear him say “my team should be better than losing to Northwestern?”

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
They're Michigan State and NU isn't. Northwestern might have been ranked with a similar record, but it wouldn't have been 10th.
MSU is 14-3, their best win is Loyola, with wins over UConn, NU and Louisville. Wake is 14-4 with wins over NU, VaTech, FSU, Syracuse and UVA. MSU is ranked, WFU isn't. Rankings are pointless at this stage of the season.

Reactions: GatoLouco
MSU is 14-3, their best win is Loyola, with wins over UConn, NU and Louisville. Wake is 14-4 with wins over NU, VaTech, FSU, Syracuse and UVA. MSU is ranked, WFU isn't. Rankings are pointless at this stage of the season.
Their best win is UConn. Let's not carried away with all the Loyola love around here.

Don't know why people have a problem with this. His job is to get his team to play to their potential. Basically he said NU worked harder and that is why we won. But his job ids to get HIS team ready to play the next game so the "lack of respect" isn't really. It is more to correct his players and get them playing the way he needs them to play

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT