ADVERTISEMENT

January 21st

When was the last time the two teams played? I remember watching a game at Alumin gym in 84 maybe?

When was the last time the two teams played? I remember watching a game at Alumin gym in 84 maybe?

NU played Loyola every year except one from 1981-1996, and has not played them since. That last meeting was a 64-57 NU win on 12/21/96 in Evanston.

Reactions: mountaindrew
It is now official UW at NU at 11 and St. Bonnies at LU at 3 Brunos at 7
I think Saint Bonaventures might fall of quite a bit this year, but no matter, its great to have Loyola in the Atlantic 10. Instant rivalries with Saint Louis U and Dayton! (my son is at SLU)

Reactions: Hungry Jack
If we can play DePaul almost every year ... though is that the reason? We already have one local opponent?
DePaul is playing Loyola on December 3rd.

There must be some sort of grudge or hurt feelings behind NU's and Loyola's refusal to play each other.

Supposedly, Loyola tried to poach a Wildcat recruit early in the Carmody era by piggybacking on the kid's visit to Evanston and that soured the relationship. With the increase in local matchups on the schedule this year, maybe there is a chance in the future. I like playing UIC, Chicago State and NIU. Makes more sense than Merrimac or the like.

Supposedly, Loyola tried to poach a Wildcat recruit early in the Carmody era by piggybacking on the kid's visit to Evanston and that soured the relationship. With the increase in local matchups on the schedule this year, maybe there is a chance in the future. I like playing UIC, Chicago State and NIU. Makes more sense than Merrimac or the like.
I don't believe that because a lot of posters here, have stated that BC did not recruit

WC-a question for you and others. Would you rather have CC or BC coach the teams of the last 5 years

I will take this staff. Two younger coaches that went to the tournament with less talented players. Should be able to relate to today's players.

Lowry has coached teams to the tournament and had some success.

They seem to be coaches that will hold the players accountable which should help Collins

I will take this staff. Two younger coaches that went to the tournament with less talented players. Should be able to relate to today's players.

Lowry has coached teams to the tournament and had some success.

They seem to be coaches that will hold the players accountable which should help Collins
I’ll take that sister from Loyola over CCC

Do you think Carmody would take an assistant coach's position and salary?
Dude's 70 and has been retired for three years, right? I like to think he's enjoying the free time and all that.

I just imagine the combination of skill sets as 75% of a perfect head coach, I'm not talking about things that could really happen.

WC-a question for you and others. Would you rather have CC or BC coach the teams of the last 5 years
Personally would prefer BC.

Don't think, though, BC would be a great solution. We'd probably end up playing Princeton while not going to the offensive board, retreating to a 1-3-1. Saw zero evidence BC could excel in any other format. If he was the genius strategist some around here suggest, he would have been snagged by another more high profile program than ours. Even for his limitations on recruiting, there was a great story to tell: he was doing it at NU, so many barriers to recruiting better players. He could surely sell the idea would recruit better at, let's say, Virginia Tech.

Still, we would have faired better over the last 5 years with the same players. But I suppose I am at the point of believing a nice La-Z-Boy could do better than CC.

Personally would prefer BC.

Don't think, though, BC would be a great solution. We'd probably end up playing Princeton while not going to the offensive board, retreating to a 1-3-1. Saw zero evidence BC could excel in any other format. If he was the genius strategist some around here suggest, he would have been snagged by another more high profile program than ours. Even for his limitations on recruiting, there was a great story to tell: he was doing it at NU, so many barriers to recruiting better players. He could surely sell the idea would recruit better at, let's say, Virginia Tech.

Still, we would have faired better over the last 5 years with the same players. But I suppose I am at the point of believing a nice La-Z-Boy could do better than CC.
And you state “there are too many unknowns” to determine if CCC can develop players or not.

Unreal.

And to boot - your stated logic above about BC says we can’t get a great coach - he would just be “snagged by a more high-profile program”. How can we ever win based on that logic?

Unreal.

And you state “there are too many unknowns” to determine if CCC can develop players or not.

Unreal.

And to boot - your stated logic above about BC says we can’t get a great coach - he would just be “snagged by a more high-profile program”. How can we ever win based on that logic?

Unreal.
1) yes too many unknowns. That’s being kind to CC considering, but not limited to, last season.

2) yes, like most lower profile programs, if you get a great coach, he’s going to be snagged by a program a level above. And you hire a next good coach. Exceptions exists, but that’s the norm. Every single year. Just happened to Seton Hall. BC as a comparison was not snagged, was let go and landed at Holy Cross.

3) writing unreal does not make your rebuttals any more pungent

Reactions: IGNORE2
1) yes too many unknowns. That’s being kind to CC considering, but not limited to, last season.

2) yes, like most lower profile programs, if you get a great coach, he’s going to be snagged by a program a level above. And you hire a next good coach. Exceptions exists, but that’s the norm. Every single year. Just happened to Seton Hall. BC as a comparison was not snagged, was let go and landed at Holy Cross.

3) writing unreal does not make your rebuttals any more pungent
You write many eloquent remarks, but some, in my view, are inherently contradictory, which provokes a reaction. It’s what I mean by not getting to have it both ways. And it has nothing to do with my sense of taste or smell.

In the summer, players get 4 hours a week with coaches, plus teM workouts. All the other free time is on them. What do they do with it.

Let's use Ty. Hecame into NU as a shooter. In his free time does he make 300 to 400 shots every other day? Is that the coaches fault or his fault?

In the season they have games, practice getting ready for games and school. They do get one day per week. NCAA rule. But what do they do with that day. Chill or go work on their game.

It is easier to get rid of the coach than the players. To me until you get players with that dog mentalitly, doesn't matter who the coach is.

Coach K was on the hot seat at Duke until he got the Dawkins class and the class that came in the next year and won the chip.

Coach Cal, take away Camby, Rose and Davis, he is an average coach. His five stars have struggled in the tournament the last couple of years.

Emani Bates was told since 8th grade he is the best p.ayer in the country. Look at him the past two years, you can tell he is not in the gym working on his game and he has access to high level trainers. I bet Izzo was so happy he decommited from Michagan St.

Reactions: DaCat
I like PWB idea of looking at McIntosh as a successor.

He played hear and j kws what it takes to win here. He is younger so should be able to identify with today's players. Plus he will have a hand in recruiting players, so he could get started with his type of guys out of the gate.

Collins was close to .500 last year and should be able to maintain that while the transition takes place.

If for some reason the new coaching staff works out, fine.

If it's a horror show, then might have to develop another plan.

Assuming CC gets fired after this year, hiring a 28 year old with virtually no coaching experience to replace him would be suicidal.
Well, Brad Stevens became an assistant at age 25 and head coach of Butler at 30, so yeah McIntosh will need a couple years under new (interim) coach Lowery or for Collins to remain coach until his contract ends in 2025.

You wouldn't fire anyone this year.

Mac has already moved up through the ranks, so giving him one more year is not going to hurt and he is recruiting the players he wants and building a relationship.

Starting over with w new coach, you have two year to see what he does and if he can't do it, you just repeat the cycle.

Might not be the best solution, but it's a start.

@Styre what would your plan be?

There are plenty of examples of it working out. It may. It may not work out. But I'm putting myself out there.

Just for conversation purpose, let's here so other ideas.

Stating firing collins, bring back BC. And hitting the post button.. That's easy

You wouldn't fire anyone this year.

Mac has already moved up through the ranks, so giving him one more year is not going to hurt and he is recruiting the players he wants and building a relationship.

Starting over with w new coach, you have two year to see what he does and if he can't do it, you just repeat the cycle.

Might not be the best solution, but it's a start.

@Styre what would your plan be?

My plan would be to pay a successful mid-major coach who was looking to move up. I think it's a fool's errand to hire coaches with 0 HC experience straight into the Big Ten. I guess you could elevate Lowery, but his HC resume (early success at SIU with Weber/Painter's recruits followed by a horrendous collapse) makes me nervous.

OK that makes sense. Question is would NU pay the buyout for collins and his staff and the buyout for the new coach to get out of his existing contract,, plus his new salary and staff at NU.

Umass got martin, but he had been let go from South Carolina so it was not as costly.

Maybe go with Lowry instead as he has some experience. Use the interim tag. While looking for someone else.

Reactions: Styre
My plan would be to pay a successful mid-major coach who was looking to move up. I think it's a fool's errand to hire coaches with 0 HC experience straight into the Big Ten. I guess you could elevate Lowery, but his HC resume (early success at SIU with Weber/Painter's recruits followed by a horrendous collapse) makes me nervous.
" I think it's a fool's errand to hire coaches with 0 HC experience straight into the Big Ten"

Careful, some people might get upset that you are referring to Coach Collins.

At least with McIntosh, if he puts in 3 years as an assistant and turns out to be good at it, he'd be a natural fit. Collins was never that.

" I think it's a fool's errand to hire coaches with 0 HC experience straight into the Big Ten"

Careful, some people might get upset that you are referring to Coach Collins.

At least with McIntosh, if he puts in 3 years as an assistant and turns out to be good at it, he'd be a natural fit. Collins was never that.

I've said this before, but Collins is the only coach in the Big Ten with no prior head coaching experience and no other ties, whether as a former assistant or player, to his program. (I didn't think he was a bad hire at the time or anything.) The only one similar to him is Shrewsberry, who only had two years as HC at IU South Bend, so we'll see how he ends up doing.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
This was my apprehension about Collins from the word go. And unfortunately, it proved true.

No more guys without head coaching experience!

If I'm the AD, I only want to talk to guys with head coaching experience as well as experience at any level in a P6 program. The P6 experience is because it took Carmody too long to understand what he didn't know.

Lastly - and none of us have any way of knowing this - please no more offense first guys. I think CC and Carmody strongly leaned to that side of the game.

Obviously, the coach needs to work well on both sides of the ball. But with the probable talent gap between NU and the B10, I think the way to be consistent is to start with strong fundamentals and an emphasis on defense. I dont think either CC or Carmody had that.

If someone could help me it would be appreciated. My computer for this site has popped out of the last read mode for the forums again. Is this because I have chosen not to join as a regular member. Thanks for your help as it is a problem to search for last read posts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT