ADVERTISEMENT

Josh King

Originally posted by corbi296:
Academics.
Exactly. It is not often that a kid from Hinsdale South has the grades for NU (at least the ones that can actually play). Possible, but very rare.

This post was edited on 4/16 10:27 PM by gocatsgo2003

Not for their football players.Their standards for football players are modestly higher than most other Division 1 football programs but looser than NU or Stanford's standards.

Has anyone actually seen Josh King's academics or are we all just talking out of our ass? What if Fitz is waiting for something like SAT/ACT scores to come in or to see King at a camp and then offers him a scholarship. Now a bunch of people insulted the kid on a message board saying that he's not good enough academically to go to our school.

And who's Frabjous? Imagine if he's Josh King's Dad or HS coach. Now you've just insulted King to their faces. Josh, if you're reading, I hope Fitz offers you and you come to NU. Don't listen to these dopes. They're not real cat fans.

"real"catfan, are real cat fans only the ones that agree with you? BTW, coaches need to be held to certain standards as well. See The Rock.

Originally posted by willycat:
"real"catfan, are real cat fans only the ones that agree with you? BTW, coaches need to be held to certain standards as well. See The Rock.
Real cat fans support the team no matter what.

Yes, coaches should be held to certain standards. The team should hold the coaches to certain standards. The athletic department should hold coaches to certain standards. A bunch of guys on a message board that think they know football, but know 1% of what the coaches know, are in no position to hold the coaches to anything.

What do you do for a living Willycat? Let's just say you're an accountant, and to go with the time of year, you're doing my taxes. I'm not happy with the refund that I got. So I endlessly scream and yell about how terrible an accountant you are. Then I go on Yelp and write that you're terrible, and no one should ever use you as an accountant. Would that hurt you making sales and getting new clients? Does it hurt our coaches trying to sell our program to recruits that this board is filled with a bunch of jerks that like to say they are cat fans, but really want to throw the coaches and the program under the bus the first chance they get? I don't know if a recruit will be influenced by this board, but I can assure you that it doesn't help, and I hope a recruit doesn't read this board and hear the negative attitude displayed by a small, but vocal handful of "cat fans."

No one is calling Josh King "stupid" or "inferior."

But it's pretty fracking clear that most high school kids--football players or not--lack the academic credentials to gain acceptance to NU. It is a very selective admissions institution. That's common knowledge. It is what it is, and is so without passing judgment on someone.

If Josh's GPA, ACT/SAT scores fall well below the range of students typically admitted to NU, then why should NU waste Josh's valuable time courting him?

He's obviously a very good football player and probably a great kid (in general, you cannot become an elite athlete and be a screw-up. Excelling in athletics requires discipline and judgment). But it may very well be that the academic credentials accumulated thus far suggest that admission to NU is highly unlikely.

Originally posted by Hungry Jack:

If Josh's GPA, ACT/SAT scores fall well below the range of students typically admitted to NU, then why should NU waste Josh's valuable time courting him?
Ok... but why do you have to talk about it on a message board especially when no one here has actually seen his test scores? Why not support the kid?

Originally posted by Hungry Jack:
(in general, you cannot become an elite athlete and be a screw-up. Excelling in athletics requires discipline and judgment).
Really? Counterpoints: Johnny Manziel, Aaron Hernandez, Lawerence Phillips, Jamies Winston. That's just elite athlete screw ups in the news this week.

Originally posted by LookGoodInPurple:
That was an unfair (and unnecessary) generalization of Hinsdale South, GCG.
Sorry? It's based on seeing actual transcripts of many players there while in recruiting.

LookGoodInPurple posted:

"That was an unfair (and unnecessary) generalization of Hinsdale South, GCG."

Why do you think it is unfair and unnecessary? Because someone has a different opinion does not make it unfair or unnecessary. Please be specific in your response.

I don't get this comment about Hinsdale South. It's in a very affluent area and is ranked in the top 15% of all Illinois public high schools by the Sun Times in 2013. It's not as good as Hinsdale Central (which is excellent), but it's very good.

How long are you going to continue this? My guess: you are a sort of "inverted troll" - you sow discord on this board by overly dramatizing otherwise innocuous comments as inflammatory or upsetting on behalf of unknowns with supposed egg-shell sensitivities.

If you are actually sincere, then what cocoon are you living in? I'd love take you out to the produce docks around real people at 4:30 a.m. - you know, the kind that lace profanity into every sentence in their communicative engagements, to desensitize you. But I do not believe you are sincere.

You know what? You want to continue the Mr. Rogers act - an act you didn't employ until only a controversial poster was removed (who I didn't find all that controversial in the context of this board), which gets me thinking . . . Fine, I don't care. You are hereby "ignored." HE GONE!

Still a bit fired up at GCG: Hinsdale South has about 6 potential scholarship athletes coming up next year. The quarterback from last year is going to Notre Dame has a very high ACT, NU had our Center who got hurt and is a straight A student in Industrial engineering and a double major in economics. Matt Mayberry was an All-big 10 level linebacker at Indiana, and Kevin Kasper was one of the top return men in the big ten at Iowa and has a super bowl ring. Hinsdale South is sending students to Columbia, Stanford, Vanderbilt, and a ton to Chicago and Northwestern this year, just not sure where that nasty statement came from. It is true that Hinsdale South has some student-athletes who happen to also be low-income African American students who may struggle to meet NU's standards,but of the 6 potential scholarship football players, 5 are easy academic qualifiers that any program would take. Not sure who you recruit for, but you did not look very hard...

Originally posted by Cat In The Cradle:
How long are you going to continue this? My guess: you are a sort of "inverted troll" - you sow discord on this board by overly dramatizing otherwise innocuous comments as inflammatory or upsetting on behalf of unknowns with supposed egg-shell sensitivities.

If you are actually sincere, then what cocoon are you living in? I'd love take you out to the produce docks around real people at 4:30 a.m. - you know, the kind that lace profanity into every sentence in their communicative engagements, to desensitize you. But I do not believe you are sincere.

You know what? You want to continue the Mr. Rogers act - an act you didn't employ until only a controversial poster was removed (who I didn't find all that controversial in the context of this board), which gets me thinking . . . Fine, I don't care. You are hereby "ignored." HE GONE!
A Cat In The Cradle classic!

Based on? one or two years of being an RA as your sample?

Didnt like the Hinsdale kids growing up, but can guarantee you there are a lot that would make the grade...

Originally posted by hornetcatlover:
Still a bit fired up at GCG: Hinsdale South has about 6 potential scholarship athletes coming up next year. The quarterback from last year is going to Notre Dame has a very high ACT, NU had our Center who got hurt and is a straight A student in Industrial engineering and a double major in economics. Matt Mayberry was an All-big 10 level linebacker at Indiana, and Kevin Kasper was one of the top return men in the big ten at Iowa and has a super bowl ring. Hinsdale South is sending students to Columbia, Stanford, Vanderbilt, and a ton to Chicago and Northwestern this year, just not sure where that nasty statement came from. It is true that Hinsdale South has some student-athletes who happen to also be low-income African American students who may struggle to meet NU's standards,but of the 6 potential scholarship football players, 5 are easy academic qualifiers that any program would take. Not sure who you recruit for, but you did not look very hard...
Now you're going back to the classes of 1996, 2006 and/or walk-on level players to try to back up your point. Mayberry was indeed academically and athletically qualified to go to Northwestern, but chose not to. Robby Regan was a highly-qualified student but not a scholarship-level athlete. I presume the center you are referring to is your son. Besides King, I'm not aware of any BCS-level prospects on Hinsdale South's current roster.

I recruited for Northwestern football. Players capable of earning BCS-level offers were all I was concerned about, with potential walk-on's as a secondary concern. I could care less how many non-athlete students were headed to the Ivies, Stanford, Northwestern, etc. from that perspective.

Originally posted by gocatsgo2003:
Now you're going back to the classes of 1996, 2006 and/or walk-on level players to try to back up your point. Mayberry was indeed academically and athletically qualified to go to Northwestern, but chose not to. Robby Regan was a highly-qualified student but not a scholarship-level athlete. I presume the center you are referring to is your son. Besides King, I'm not aware of any BCS-level prospects on Hinsdale South's current roster.

I recruited for Northwestern football. Players capable of earning BCS-level offers were all I was concerned about, with potential walk-on's as a secondary concern. I could care less how many non-athlete students were headed to the Ivies, Stanford, Northwestern, etc. from that perspective.
This is absurd. You can say that about a lot of high schools and the reason would be largely by chance. Only a third of scholarship-worthy players are able to get into NU.

You could have said the same thing about Wheaton North HS when I went there, i.e. that there are very few WNHS players up to that point who could get a scholarship to NU, but that was just by chance. WNHS sent players to Wm and Mary and the Air Force Academy that year, but only one of four scholarshipped players had the grades to get into NU. The truth is WNHS (and other local high schools like Glenbard West, G. North, and WWS) is rated one of the top high schools in the state and has sent three players recently to NU. It's a good high school and students tend to score high on college entrance exams, but the fact that Adamle, Trumpy, and Thorson were good athletes and bright enough students to get into NU is still largely by chance.

Originally posted by Gladeskat:

This is absurd. You can say that about a lot of high schools and the reason would be largely by chance. Only a third of scholarship-worthy players are able to get into NU.

You could have said the same thing about Wheaton North HS when I went there, i.e. that there are very few WNHS players up to that point who could get a scholarship to NU, but that was just by chance. WNHS sent players to Wm and Mary and the Air Force Academy that year, but only one of four scholarshipped players had the grades to get into NU. The truth is WNHS (and other local high schools like Glenbard West, G. North, and WWS) is rated one of the top high schools in the state and has sent three players recently to NU. It's a good high school and students tend to score high on college entrance exams, but the fact that Adamle, Trumpy, and Thorson were good athletes and bright enough students to get into NU is still largely by chance.
Some is chance, some is demographics. Sorry, but recruiting isn't a touchy-feely world where everyone is a winner.

Some is chance, some is demographics. Sorry, but recruiting isn't a touchy-feely world where everyone is a winner.
I guess not when you comment on recruiting.

Any Bayesian would know what a prior distribution is.

If you start with a strong (prior) belief, say that a student is inferior because of the school he goes to, then it takes ample evidence to overturn it.

This conversation has taken a weird (guess not for Northwestern) turn.

How long am I going too continue supporting the team? My entire life. I'm not any other poster. I'm a long time reader but decide to finally come on the board to tell everyone how big of jerks they are being with their negative attitudes about the program, the coaching staff, the athletic department... Do I take offense when someone says something negative about a player, coach, athletic department staffer, potential recruit, student, professor, dorm janitor, Allison hall cook, or Evanston townie? Well, I don't lose any sleep over it, but I just don't understand why it exists. You say you love something or youre passionate about something, but then you trash everything about it. I'd rather see an influx of Iowa fans that openly admit they hate NU and Fitz rather than the hypocritical asses that are all over this board.

Additionally, most of the people mentioned can't even defend themselves. What's the worst thing Fitz can do in response to all the negativity concerning his decision to not fire the staff that won the Gator Bowl? It's to actually respond to it. Everyone gets on their soapbox and flings their $hit at the decision and no one involved can say a word. So I'm not involved and I'll defend Fitz and Phillips and the program and every player from one going to the NFL down to a lowly back up long snapper.

I think we should ask ourselves what we want from NU football and athletics every time we start to write a post. Then after we're done typing ask yourself if it's a positive step toward that. We should also realize that everyone involved has gotten to where they are because they're much more knowledgeable than we are about their sport. As a result, the idea of holding a coach accountable by writing on a message board is only creating a negative environment and attitude surrounding the program that does nothing to improve things. Fitz knows the last two seasons are unacceptable. He's said himself many times. He doesn't need message board clowns to tell him that. That's why I'm here and that's why i started posting,

As for this thread, someone asks about a recruit. We jump on his academics, his high school... What if Fitz wants this player but hasn't offered a scholarship for tons of reasons. What if he scores high on his ACT and gets in? I know people from hinsdale can afford a Kaplan class. Maybe he'll get his score up. Or maybe he doesn't even need to and none of us have seen his transcript or have any idea about his academics. What happens then? Maybe he reads this thread and thinks "wow NU fans are assholes," goes in to recruitment with a bad taste mouth and focuses on the 20 other options out there. Should this thread matter? No, but why take a 5 yard penalty before the opening kickoff. That's just absurd.

Relax. I can assure you no one other than yourself would take much offense from this thread. There are plenty of good football players /students who don't have the academic profile to get an offer from NU. Nothing wrong with that. It just is what it is.

I live in Darien and as a disclaimer my kids didn't go to Hinsdale South but when you ask who would be offended I would disagree. I can tell you there are coaches at local schools one of whom I know very well that are very sensitive to how their school is perceived. Is this thread amongst a small group of NU fans going to matter? I doubt it but what is achieved by starting it? Recruiting is hard enough. Why make it harder. There was a recruit some years back from this area (not at H.S.) who we were after who chose another school. I do know it was partially due to the whole concept of "fit". There were posters who were surprised why he didn't choose NU given the academics. We all know the realities of the academic admissions at NU. While I truly want recruits to end up anywhere that is best for them I also don't think it helps contributing to a perceived culture of our school which may or may not be accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT