ADVERTISEMENT

Ken Pom Preseason Pegs NU at 58

Medill90

Jan 30, 2011
If I counted right, that's 11th in the Big Ten.

A couple slots ahead of Minny. Some are looking for big, big things out of Minny this year.

12 conference teams in the top 64 and Illinois is in the 80's. It supports my thesis that the Big Ten is wide open this year. And, as people on this board know, I selectively promote those facts which support conclusions I've already made.

Pomeroy in the past admitted that he does the preseason on a wing and a prayer....needs a few games for the model to settle in.

(edited to correct my miscount and Illinois' slot in 80's)

Last edited:
If I counted right, that's 11th in the Big Ten.

A couple slots ahead of Minny. Some are looking for big, big things out of Minny this year.

12 conference teams in the top 64 and Illinois is in the 80's. It supports my thesis that the Big Ten is wide open this year. And, as people on this board know, I selectively promote those facts which support conclusions I've already made.

Pomeroy in the past admitted that he does the preseason on a wing and a prayer....needs a few games for the model to settle in.

(edited to correct my miscount and Illinois' slot in 80's)
Wrassler has us top 25. Don't give up on me

No one believes your posts are for real or credible from the your first post. So no one was in your corner to begin with that would be necessary for anyone to give up on you.

No one believes your posts are for real or credible from the your first post. So no one was in your corner to begin with that would be necessary for anyone to give up on you.
Our success this year hinges on breaking the press,and not committing turnovers bringing the ball up the court. With our height and scorers,we are a great half court team. Let's wait and see if we have enough speed and ball handling ability to beat the likes of well conditiined,smaller lineups like LotoLoand Michigan.

Our success this year hinges on breaking the press,and not committing turnovers bringing the ball up the court. With our height and scorers,we are a great half court team. Let's wait and see if we have enough speed and ball handling ability to beat the likes of well conditiined,smaller lineups like LotoLoand Michigan.
Dude....breaking the press is the least of the concerns. Running an offense each and every possession is the big issue.

Very few teams press every possession.

Reactions: NUCat320

Not sure what I did to trigger this but no offense meant

Wrestlerone, you have been 'spot on' regarding all of this stuff. Good to have knowledgeable posters as yourself on here. Is Jordan Ash back this year? And although everyone says that Nance is a couple years away, I see him having a primary role this year, and a significant one.

Wrestlerone, you have been 'spot on' regarding all of this stuff. Good to have knowledgeable posters as yourself on here. Is Jordan Ash back this year? And although everyone says that Nance is a couple years away, I see him having a primary role this year, and a significant one.
Turk. Hope all is well. Guys that don't understand hoops think that Ash won't play a pivotal role for NU! That injust and fradulant thinking will be exposed the first time an opposing guard blows right by Law or Turner/ Taylor/Greer. Point is, Jordan Ash is our best defender,and best ball handling point guard. Ash,if healthy,will play 25-30 minutes a game and make us all forget the Bmac problem of last year.

What is our offensive system?
We are going to pound it inside sometimes.also penetrate and dish out. Focus on getting the ball to our best three point shooters. Lots of movement and ball rotation. Without Ash in the lineup,we have no chance at fast break type of offense. It will likely be what I just said. Possible have the centers do some post up stuff. If nothing is open underneath,just dish it out. Focus on defense for sure.

Turk. Hope all is well. Guys that don't understand hoops think that Ash won't play a pivotal role for NU! That injust and fradulant thinking will be exposed the first time an opposing guard blows right by Law or Turner/ Taylor/Greer. Point is, Jordan Ash is our best defender,and best ball handling point guard. Ash,if healthy,will play 25-30 minutes a game and make us all forget the Bmac problem of last year.
I dont understand all the hate this board has with Ash? He was one of our most dependable players last year and will only get better this year being our senior point guard. As Turk noted, you pointed all of this out 2 years ago when everyone was loving on I Brown and B Mac.

I dont understand all the hate this board has with Ash? He was one of our most dependable players last year and will only get better this year being our senior point guard. As Turk noted, you pointed all of this out 2 years ago when everyone was loving on I Brown and B Mac.
Thanks. Ash is a physical specimen. Capable of defending quick and elite point guards with 4.4 speed. He was so much better than Bmac last year on defense. Once Ash was injured last year,the wildcats lost 7 in a row. Defense wins championships. No wonder Ash was made captain this year. All one has to do is watch the Oklahoma game where Ash shut down the lottery ticket frosh point guard who was blowing by Bmac. That was earlier in the season. Ash eventually started a few games over Bmac.

Reactions: NUCat320
Thanks. Ash is a physical specimen. Capable of defending quick and elite point guards with 4.4 speed. He was so much better than Bmac last year on defense. Once Ash was injured last year,the wildcats lost 7 in a row. Defense wins championships. No wonder Ash was made captain this year. All one has to do is watch the Oklahoma game where Ash shut down the lottery ticket frosh point guard who was blowing by Bmac. That was earlier in the season. Ash eventually started a few games over Bmac.
I think Ash has to play 30+ minutes a game. If he regains his 3 pt shot then he could contend for first team All Big10.

LOL! The posts about NU making the Final 4 and Elite 8. And yes, Ash played 31 minutes v. Trae Young and Oklahoma and shut OU down to 104 points and Young to 31 points and 12 assists. Definitely, his defense shut down Trae Young. Facts get in the way of your posts every time.

Think I understand. I've had that poster on ignore since all the obnoxious basketball postings earlier in the year.
Yeah.... it can be confusing sometimes when you have a certain voluminous poster on Ignore here, but I'll take the confusion any day over the alternative.

Reactions: HawkCat
Bryant McIntosh dribbles until the shot clock is under 10, drives the lane and turns it over.

Will be tough to run this year. :rolleyes:

I thought that *was* the system: “Isolation ‘N Chuck It.” The INCI offense.

While I think NU have some players capable of executing INCI, perhaps CCC will become a little less rigid in running it exclusively.

If NU finishes 58 in KenPom, it will probably have been a pretty decent season.

If you're looking for the exact location of the bubble, the KenPom 50s is where it resided last year. Four teams in the 50s made the Big Dance - Rhode Island at 52, UCLA at 56, Alabama at 57 and New Mexico State at 60.

The other six teams in the KenPom 50s made the NIT.

So yea, I'd take that this year.

Our ranking is 11th in the B1G but every team aside from Rutgers is between 13 and 85. It should be a very exciting year. Can't wait!!!

You're also the one who called for a change on the Defensive Line, and it happened!

F the haters Wrassler, you made me a believer! At least you rank above the Moose now.
Love it! We play Michigan early this year. I'm telling you right now,they will blow right by us without Ash at point guard. Ash is the only guy on our team that can truly cover a blue Chip,3 and four star recruit,point guard,which the BT has tons of!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT