ADVERTISEMENT

Kinda sick of the "NU hasn't won at Wisconsin since 2000" thing

rwhitney014

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2007
We've played there four times. It makes it sound like we've lost a dozen games to them. You know what has happened since 2000? We've won more in the series than they have. 5-4. They've been really good for 15 years and we managed to miss them on the schedule a lot, but the fact is we leave Madison tomorrow night no worse than .500 against them in the last 15 seasons.

I am sick of it, too. I am not very optimistic about tomorrow, but the fact that we have not won there since 2000 is not very relevant. What is relevant is how good are we going to be this year when we go to Madison.

You have a great shot, we have a very good defense but not much on offense except Stave and Erickson.
Chryst calls a better game (usually) then our more recent OC"s and even better than when Chryst was OC because he's calling h shots.
Of course in the million to one shot that Corey Clement is good to go and Traylor 100% and effective, we're a much better offense.
The loss of Wheelwright at WR hurt a lot but one of these days both Jazz Peavy and Reggie Love are going to break out, they are our best athletes at WR but neither has been very productive so far.

We've played there four times. It makes it sound like we've lost a dozen games to them. You know what has happened since 2000? We've won more in the series than they have. 5-4. They've been really good for 15 years and we managed to miss them on the schedule a lot, but the fact is we leave Madison tomorrow night no worse than .500 against them in the last 15 seasons.

I agree that it's not exactly relevant to the outcome of this particular game, but it is a story line that in this series the home team was won every game since we won in Madison. While the home team always has a little bit of an advantage, it's pretty rare to see a stat like that. Interesting to me at least.

I agree that it's not exactly relevant to the outcome of this particular game, but it is a story line that in this series the home team was won every game since we won in Madison. While the home team always has a little bit of an advantage, it's pretty rare to see a stat like that. Interesting to me at least.
Why wasn't the story line last year that Wisconsin hasn't won in Evanston since 1999 or whatever it was.

The stat I found interesting is margin of victory. In Madison WIS has won by an average of 30. In Evanston NU has won by an average of 5. That seems like a lot more than simple home field advantage. That said, when we have gone to Madison over the last 15 years, the NU team for that year has generally been so-so. Likely that has more to do with it than anything. This team has already won more games than any of the teams that have lost in Madison since 2000

It'll stop being a problem if we win tomorrow. If not, well, deal with it.

... And yet one of my best memories as an NU fan was sitting in Camp Randal Stadium as Ron Dayne fumbled with the game effectively over and then us winning that game.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I can see an upside to the "poor cats can't win in Madison" buzz. Great bulletin board material. Whatever happens, it won't be the instant classic that we had there in 2000 (1st big conference win in OT) or 1996 (the fumble).

It'll stop being a problem if we win tomorrow. If not, well, deal with it.

I wouldn't care if we had lost the last 8 games there since 2000. Again, we've only played there 4 times. Two of those times, Wisconsin had top 10 teams. Good on them. It's just misleading considering we have a winning record against them in that period, even though on the whole they've been by far the better program during that time.

If you are tired of this line, wait till we play at Ohio State next year, where we have not won since 1971! I was there and so was the late Randy Walker.who told me he was on a recruiting visit to OSU.

I'm tired of all these "school X hasn't done Y since Z" lines. They're just tricking LAZY. If you listen closely, you hear them all the same time. And some are just soooo stupid. I think I heard that some college that isn't exactly a football powerhouse "hasn't been to a bowl game since 2012". That's 3 tricking years! Stats like this are only good if the stat being cited is freakishly rare.

The think about the NU stats is that they NEVER flip them around. Like ND hasn't beaten since 1994.

I wouldn't care if we had lost the last 8 games there since 2000. Again, we've only played there 4 times. Two of those times, Wisconsin had top 10 teams. Good on them. It's just misleading considering we have a winning record against them in that period, even though on the whole they've been by far the better program during that time.

+1
Wisky has built their season beating up on teams with losing records. We'll see if their glossy defensive stats are real or not. I feel we have a good chance in this game.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
+1
Wisky has built their season beating up on teams with losing records. We'll see if their glossy defensive stats are real or not. I feel we have a good chance in this game.
Our O has shown to be somewhat challenged (and our OL is hurting) and they do have a strong D. That said, I would guess that their O will find the going pretty difficult as well. Should be a defensive struggle with a couple key plays making the difference. Let's hope those plays go our way.

Ha. Here is a stat that has absolutely no value, which is what makes it fit in here perfectly.
Haven't beat a team in 10 years, 20 years, that's small potatoes.
Notre Dame is 0-4 all time against University of Chicago, they have never beaten the Maroons.
So, clearly this means that if they were to play today, Notre Dame would have no chance in the match-up.

Reactions: shakes3858
The stat I found interesting is margin of victory. In Madison WIS has won by an average of 30. In Evanston NU has won by an average of 5. That seems like a lot more than simple home field advantage. That said, when we have gone to Madison over the last 15 years, the NU team for that year has generally been so-so. Likely that has more to do with it than anything. This team has already won more games than any of the teams that have lost in Madison since 2000
For me, the NU loss at Madison in 2013, the week after the Ohio State game, was just about the most disappointing result since Pat Fitzgerald came to Evanston. I really, really hope that NU comes ready to play tomorrow.

This one strikes me as very winnable, and perhaps NU's best chance since 2000.

For me, the NU loss at Madison in 2013, the week after the Ohio State game, was just about the most disappointing result since Pat Fitzgerald came to Evanston. I really, really hope that NU comes ready to play tomorrow.

This one strikes me as very winnable, and perhaps NU's best chance since 2000.

Agree about the 2013 debacle. Kids just didn't show up.

I am optimistic about tomorrow. No reason on earth why they shouldn't have a good showing. Team is on a winning streak, key defensive players are doing well. Not saying Cats will win but I think they play tough.

I'm tired of all these "school X hasn't done Y since Z" lines. They're just tricking LAZY. If you listen closely, you hear them all the same time. And some are just soooo stupid. I think I heard that some college that isn't exactly a football powerhouse "hasn't been to a bowl game since 2012". That's 3 tricking years! Stats like this are only good if the stat being cited is freakishly rare.

The think about the NU stats is that they NEVER flip them around. Like ND hasn't beaten since 1994.

+1

4 Good UW teams have beaten 4 crappy NU teams in Madison and 4 solid/good NU teams have beaten 4 solid/average/mediocre UW teams in Evanston doesn't have the same ring to it.

Here's some fun with stats:

When was the last time UW beat an 8+ win NU team in Madison? I don't know, but it hasn't happened in at least 40+ years.

Reactions: NUCat320
Ha. Here is a stat that has absolutely no value, which is what makes it fit in here perfectly.
Haven't beat a team in 10 years, 20 years, that's small potatoes.
Notre Dame is 0-4 all time against University of Chicago, they have never beaten the Maroons.
So, clearly this means that if they were to play today, Notre Dame would have no chance in the match-up.

A lot of it is simply when you play people. Northwestern has a 3-1 record against Oklahoma, but is 3-5 against Miami, Ohio (even our 1995 Rose Bowl team lost to them).

UW usually wins the battle in the trenches.

The 'Cats have managed to grind out victories pretty much due to having the superior QB play.

When they don't have that - they have often gotten pummeled.

The 'Cats are pretty much .500 against UW going back to the Alvarez year - so in terms of W-Ls, it's been even.

Well, for those of you who were sick of the narrative, this was an example of how to end it. Just win, baby.
I think I'm renaming Camp Randle, Ryan Field North after today. Notre Dame Stadium is Ryan Field East. Nebraska's Memorial Stadium is Ryan field West (will rename Kinnick that next year). After the Illinois game, Soldier field will be Ryan Field south.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT