ADVERTISEMENT

Lakeside Field STH Zoom last night - anyone attend?

Baz=Heisman

Feb 11, 2023
I couldn’t make it and would love to hear any key takeaways if there were some. For some reason, NU didn’t record for on-demand viewing. Thanks!

I attended. Coach Braun kicked it off from his car with a very positive message. A series of presentations followed which were informative if marketing spin-heavy. Not a whole lot of news if you have reviewed the materials on the web site. Much use of the word “unique.”

The big takeaway for me was to stay away from the east side which I was considering in order to obtain the closest replica of my RF seats and find affordable tickets. No grandstand on that side will be more than 9 rows high and they cautioned that sight lines over the opposing team who will be on that sideline will be poor and obstructed. Also, that is where visiting team fans will be seated. The west stands, alternatively, will have more rows and (I think I heard this right) will be elevated.

They said the north stands will have the most capacity of any section including student seating for the two games when students are on campus, and the band. There was no mention of DJ Commando.

They really pitched these specialty tailgating areas that will be created on the lakefill. The one on the south practice field will be a beer garden and across the pond further south will be areas you can get access to with screens to follow the game if you don’t have tickets.

They reiterated the messages we have seen that those who do not buy tickets will not be penalized when new stadium seat selection occurs. But someone asked if those who buy tickets for the next two years will accrue additional purple points and they said yes. So it depends upon how you define a penalty, I guess.

I did not pay careful attention to the parking pitches but I recall they said the two garages would not allow tailgating and only the top uncovered deck of the large two level deck on south campus would be available to fans. They mentioned a number of activities on campus that will happen concurrently (at music building and art museum) for which parking will be reserved.

Hope that helps. Call your rep with any questions.

I attended. Coach Braun kicked it off from his car with a very positive message. A series of presentations followed which were informative if marketing spin-heavy. Not a whole lot of news if you have reviewed the materials on the web site. Much use of the word “unique.”

The big takeaway for me was to stay away from the east side which I was considering in order to obtain the closest replica of my RF seats and find affordable tickets. No grandstand on that side will be more than 9 rows high and they cautioned that sight lines over the opposing team who will be on that sideline will be poor and obstructed. Also, that is where visiting team fans will be seated. The west stands, alternatively, will have more rows and (I think I heard this right) will be elevated.

They said the north stands will have the most capacity of any section including student seating for the two games when students are on campus, and the band. There was no mention of DJ Commando.

They really pitched these specialty tailgating areas that will be created on the lakefill. The one on the south practice field will be a beer garden and across the pond further south will be areas you can get access to with screens to follow the game if you don’t have tickets.

They reiterated the messages we have seen that those who do not buy tickets will not be penalized when new stadium seat selection occurs. But someone asked if those who buy tickets for the next two years will accrue additional purple points and they said yes. So it depends upon how you define a penalty, I guess.

I did not pay careful attention to the parking pitches but I recall they said the two garages would not allow tailgating and only the top uncovered deck of the large two level deck on south campus would be available to fans. They mentioned a number of activities on campus that will happen concurrently (at music building and art museum) for which parking will be reserved.

Hope that helps. Call your rep with any questions.

With regards to "no tailgating", this means no open fires/grills. You can drink booze, eat prepared/uncooked foods in all lots.

@T_Levine note for ticket selection

Reactions: T_Levine
We are putting visiting fans on the east sideline, most visible to tv cameras?

Did this plan change from putting them in the north grandstand?

We are putting visiting fans on the east sideline, most visible to tv cameras?

Did this plan change from putting them in the north grandstand?
That is what I gathered. They really talked up the north grandstands, saying they would be the most spirited and exciting section of the stadium (and, oh!, the skyline views!).

After years of fighting off all the jokes about RF being like a high school field, I suspect the east stands will truly resemble what you find in one.

Last edited:
That is what I gathered. They really talked up the north grandstands, saying they would be the most spirited and exciting section of the stadium (and, oh!, the skyline views!).

After years of fighting off all the jokes about RF being like a high school field, I suspect the east stands will truly resemble what you find in one.
So, we would pay more for the East section than the North and we are putting visitors in the East? Paying more to sit with visiting fans doesn’t make sense.

So, we would pay more for the East section than the North and we are putting visitors in the East? Paying more to sit with visiting fans doesn’t make sense.

I actually think this is strategic and one of the most noteworthy takeaways from the call.

With the possible exception of the top 1-2 rows, the East Stands are going to generally be bad seats, plain and simple. This call warned our "loyal" fans. They are priced like they are because at the end of the day they're still sideline seats, but we'll gladly take the revenue from visitors who don't know any better and who will just be frustrated for the one game they attend.

When I was at the spring practice, the thought had crossed my mind that at least the first 3-4 rows would be miserable for anyone who might not be able to see the field over a standing lineman.

My question (if anyone actually knows from the call or their ticket rep): North Stands are separated N1, N2, N3, N4, N5. Do we know where the students will be seated?

I don’t know anyone, unless they are retired and rich, who is doing anything other than the north end zone stands given the cost and the crappy east stands setup. I’m still pumped about this but not having more rows on the east side is definitely a miss.

I actually think this is strategic and one of the most noteworthy takeaways from the call.

With the possible exception of the top 1-2 rows, the East Stands are going to generally be bad seats, plain and simple. This call warned our "loyal" fans. They are priced like they are because at the end of the day they're still sideline seats, but we'll gladly take the revenue from visitors who don't know any better and who will just be frustrated for the one game they attend.

When I was at the spring practice, the thought had crossed my mind that at least the first 3-4 rows would be miserable for anyone who might not be able to see the field over a standing lineman.

My question (if anyone actually knows from the call or their ticket rep): North Stands are separated N1, N2, N3, N4, N5. Do we know where the students will be seated?
My ticket rep indicated that there will be “a small allocation” for visitors in both the north and east stands. Just a guess on my part but I would think this would be the east side of the north stands and north side of the east stands so visitors would be in the NE corner.

I don’t know anyone, unless they are retired and rich, who is doing anything other than the north end zone stands given the cost and the crappy east stands setup. I’m still pumped about this but not having more rows on the east side is definitely a miss.
The East Side viewing limitations are dumb. Would take very little effort to safely raise them about 5 feet or so.

Reactions: Just Gary
The East Side viewing limitations are dumb. Would take very little effort to safely raise them about 5 feet or so.
Per the rendering, the seats from roughly the 35 to goal line appear to be elevated. Only the center seats appear to be ground level.

All east side will be shit viewing. Only slightly better than 85% of the Wrigley seating. Should be all to the NU band/students/ visitors.

All east side will be shit viewing. Only slightly better than 85% of the Wrigley seating. Should be all to the NU band/students/ visitors.

These posts bashing the east stands are hilarious. I doubt any current STH will have to sit there unless they want to. And if you're not a STH what do you care? You're not going to the game anyway lol

At the end of the call, the speakers said the students and band would be in the largest section. Which one is the largest section? Who knows!

My ticket rep indicated that there will be “a small allocation” for visitors in both the north and east stands. Just a guess on my part but I would think this would be the east side of the north stands and north side of the east stands so visitors would be in the NE corner.
Your logic makes sense. This is interesting, though, because I figured the N5 section would be the best of the north stands (slightly in the corner rather than directly in the end zone). Good to know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT