ADVERTISEMENT

Langborg eligible??!!!

Would this be a Covid year? He graduated from Princeton, played a 4th year at NU but Ivy League suspended 20-21 season due to Covid. A lot of players got to play a 5th season. The question is whether it is 5 in 5 or is 5 in 6 permitted

No sign of him in the practice videos. Or the Twitter feed. (Sorry, X.) Not in any of the publicity pix. Obviously not on the NUSports website roster. So...

Would this be a Covid year? He graduated from Princeton, played a 4th year at NU but Ivy League suspended 20-21 season due to Covid. A lot of players got to play a 5th season. The question is whether it is 5 in 5 or is 5 in 6 permitted
He’s not at an Ivy School anymore so Ivy rules shouldn’t apply.

Reactions: CatManTrue
The issue is that the NCAA did not grant players an “extra” year, it simply ruled that the 20-21 season (and only that season) did not count toward eligibility. Those that played that year only got an “extra” season because the NCAA treated 20-21 as if it never happened. For example, Boo played 5 years but in the eyes of the NCAA he only played 4 because 20-21 didn’t count.

Unfortunately for the Ivy players, the league sat out the 20-21 season. They don’t get to make that season up later. Then add in the Ivy rule that you only get 4 years to use your eligibility, and that forced Langborg to transfer out of the Ivy to use his 4th and final year of NCAA eligibility.

For him to be ruled eligible now, the NCAA would have to proactively grant only Ivy players a true extra year of eligibility as compensation for the league shutting down that season. There are 2 St. John’s players who transferred from the Ivy who sued the NCAA to be granted this extra year but their request for an injunction that would allow them to play was denied because the NCAA didn’t prevent them from playing in 20-21, the league did. So for now there’s no path for someone like Langborg to play unless the NCAA decides to grant an extra year specifically to Ivy players, which would be a surprising development but I guess is in the realm of possibility.

The issue is that the NCAA did not grant players an “extra” year, it simply ruled that the 20-21 season (and only that season) did not count toward eligibility. Those that played that year only got an “extra” season because the NCAA treated 20-21 as if it never happened. For example, Boo played 5 years but in the eyes of the NCAA he only played 4 because 20-21 didn’t count.

Unfortunately for the Ivy players, the league sat out the 20-21 season. They don’t get to make that season up later. Then add in the Ivy rule that you only get 4 years to use your eligibility, and that forced Langborg to transfer out of the Ivy to use his 4th and final year of NCAA eligibility.

For him to be ruled eligible now, the NCAA would have to proactively grant only Ivy players a true extra year of eligibility as compensation for the league shutting down that season. There are 2 St. John’s players who transferred from the Ivy who sued the NCAA to be granted this extra year but their request for an injunction that would allow them to play was denied because the NCAA didn’t prevent them from playing in 20-21, the league did. So for now there’s no path for someone like Langborg to play unless the NCAA decides to grant an extra year specifically to Ivy players, which would be a surprising development but I guess is in the realm of possibility.

Sounds like grounds for a more fulsome NCAA and/or court review. Certainly a gray area, maybe a good reason to keep a scholarship open.

He was at Collins’ camp today and heard it from a few people. Could very well be wishcasting. But if it’s true…
Season 3 Christmas GIF by Pee-wee Herman

Sounds like grounds for a more fulsome NCAA and/or court review. Certainly a gray area, maybe a good reason to keep a scholarship open.
I don't know how gray it really is. The NCAA didn't instruct the Ivy to take the season off, so I'm not sure what the appeal would be. Even an appeal to the Ivy wouldn't do much. Langborg wasn't allowed by Ivy rules to play his last year at Princeton even though he had a year of eligibility remaining, but he was able to transfer to NU and use that final year.

For this to work, the NCAA would have to retroactively grant all players 5 full years of eligibility rather than pretending 20-21 didn't happen. Not saying it can't happen, I just don't see how there's a legal angle. Seems like it would have to be a voluntary action by the NCAA.

I don't know how gray it really is. The NCAA didn't instruct the Ivy to take the season off, so I'm not sure what the appeal would be. Even an appeal to the Ivy wouldn't do much. Langborg wasn't allowed by Ivy rules to play his last year at Princeton even though he had a year of eligibility remaining, but he was able to transfer to NU and use that final year.

For this to work, the NCAA would have to retroactively grant all players 5 full years of eligibility rather than pretending 20-21 didn't happen. Not saying it can't happen, I just don't see how there's a legal angle. Seems like it would have to be a voluntary action by the NCAA.

Correct.

Wow, this is wild. Can’t imagine it actually comes to fruition though or I feel like it would have leaked to the NU media/NU Twitter (X). This is the first I’ve heard about it via the board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT