ADVERTISEMENT

Let the QB speculation intensify!

The stop it quote was actually responding to someone mentioning Green as an option too. But I notice your tone has subdued now that you see more of your quotes than the cute ones that you pulled. Apology accepted.

I don’t apologize for anything. I don’t think Green is a viable P5 quarterback based on everything I’ve seen/heard, the fact that he’s the #2 is not a good situation for a litany of reasons, and I’m very thankful that we have Hunter Johnson.

What exactly are you arguing? Green is not a viable starter for a P5 team. Almost all walkons aren't viable starters for a P5 team. Just because he may start a game doesn't make him a viable starter. It makes him the best of a bad lot.

And if you think the story is he is beating out two scholarship players for the back-up spot - well, it's either because he is better than them or they are worse than him. And I believe it is the latter.

What a load of crap. Maybe, just maybe, Green is #2, because he's actually decent and is beating out other decent players. The entire narrative that Green is a walk-on and so is not a viable P5 QB is a horseshit assumption, and that's the point. It was horseshit then, and it's equally horseshit now. It could be as you people believe, that he's #2 because everyone else blows, but you have no idea if that's the case. It's just as likely, and more likely so I would say, that the kid actually has some talent. As his pedigree, his HS performance, and his coaching references allude to.

Why don't you give him (and the other QBs) the benefit of the doubt before suggesting that they all blow?

Last edited:
What a load of crap. Maybe, just maybe, Green is #2, because he's actually decent and is beating out other decent players. The entire narrative that Green is a walk-on and so is not a viable P5 QB is a horseshit assumption, and that's the point. It was horseshit then, and it's equally horseshit now. It could be as you people believe, that he's #2 because everyone else blows, but you have no idea if that's the case. It's just as likely, and more likely so I would say, that the kid actually has some talent. As his pedigree, his HS performance, and his coaching references allude to.

Why don't you give him (and the other QBs) the benefit of the doubt before suggesting that they all blow?

Because I’ve heard that they all blow from people whose opinions I trust.

I don’t apologize for anything. I don’t think Green is a viable P5 quarterback based on everything I’ve seen/heard, the fact that he’s the #2 is not a good situation for a litany of reasons, and I’m very thankful that we have Hunter Johnson.
Can Hunter play against Purdue if Clayton ain’t ready?

It says that when you let a freshman QB take the reigns over upper classmen, no body wants to sit on the bench for years to get a shot.
Really? Does that also happen at places like OSU, UCLA or North Carolina?

It says that when you let a freshman QB take the reigns over upper classmen, no body wants to sit on the bench for years to get a shot.

Agreed.

NU missed out on several A list prospects during the Thorson-Alviti log jam. As a result, the staff ended up signing higher amount of developmental prospects than many have grown accustomed to.

During Fitz's tenure, quarterbacks have often spent somewhere in the vicinity of three years with McCall prior to taking the reins of the offense full time (Persa, Kafka, Siemien). It's important to remember that Green, while a walk on, has the most time vested in the system of the eligible quarterbacks not named Clayton. Smith, Marty, and Whitaker are redshirt sophs or younger.

It's very possible that TJ, at the moment, may be the best equipped to run the offense, but has a very limited ceiling, thus making him a less than ideal (but necessary) starting option (and not viable in the intermediate to long term - eg: the entire 2018 season and beyond).

Fortunately, NU has Johnson waiting in the wings and even if Hunter were experience the type of success that would tempt him to leave prior to exhausting his eligibility, at that point it's very possible Marty (or Whitaker) would be ready to run the operation.

Outside of this temporary period of uncertainty, I'm very optimistic about the quarterback room moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: cat inkansas
It's quite simple. If Clayton is not able to play against Purdue, then we obviously want to play the QB that gives us the best chance to win that game. We don't necessarily need the second coming of Payton Manning. If TJ Green is the guy, then I'm behind him 100%. I don't care what it says about recruiting, blah blah blah.

It's quite simple. If Clayton is not able to play against Purdue, then we obviously want to play the QB that gives us the best chance to win that game. We don't necessarily need the second coming of Payton Manning. If TJ Green is the guy, then I'm behind him 100%. I don't care what it says about recruiting, blah blah blah.

Well said.

1) Thanks for the run-on sentence where you essentially repeated the same statement five times (including an edit for clarity). That gave me a headache. Assuming you were eight Yuengling's deep?

2) I think the point you are trying to make is in the first sentence - that he "is actually decent and is beating out the other decent players". Of course, that is absolutely possible.

3) That said, when someone knows as much about quarterbacking as anyone I've ever met saw him throw in person and described his arm (albeit last year) as a poor-man's Kain Colter - that's not a very good sign. Maybe it got better magically this off season and he is a viable P5 starter. Great.

4) You can keep arguing the exceptions until you tire yourself out. But almost all walk-ons are not viable P5 starters. Just stop. Don't know how else to tell you that. You can argue Mayfield, our own Randy Dean, awesome. Still exceptions, not the rule. Every example you give me, I'll give you 50 more. (and by the way - Mayfield had P5 offers, he just chose to walk-on, like the kid at Minnesota today - that's a very different scenario).

5) Pedigree is great for the mental side. If a player has not shown the physical side, won't really help him much. And H.S. performance is great. For high school. Try throwing a 15 yard out in the Big 10. Slightly different.

6) What I will tell you despite all this resistance, the one area where a walk-on kicks any scholarship players ass is the chip on their shoulder. Especially when they felt they should have received scholarship offers. And when they don't get to eat with the others. That does help overcompensate for other weaknesses.

I walked on the NU wrestling team,beat out the returning starter,then took fifth in the Illinois Wrestling Open which included about 30 wrestling teams, including a bunch of division one schools. All in my first two months on the team. Dwayne Bates wasn't even a reciever in he,yetywas all big ten and a pro at WR!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
TJ Green is no ordinary walk-on. Son of an NFL QB and an outstanding high school career. Apparently is farthest along in learning the system. To me he sounds vaguely familiar to another former NU QB, CJ Bacher. Not the greatest of arms but no noodle either. Just needs to be good enough.

Regardless of any differences (or similarities), comparing NU to those three schools is silly.

Completely different programs.
Why? They play NCAA football, right? They play , using the same NCAA rules , right? They are allowed to give the same amount of scholarships, right? They are allowed the same amount of coaches, right? So why shouldn't NU be expected top compete and recruit against them?

TJ Green is no ordinary walk-on. Son of an NFL QB and an outstanding high school career. Apparently is farthest along in learning the system. To me he sounds vaguely familiar to another former NU QB, CJ Bacher. Not the greatest of arms but no noodle either. Just needs to be good enough.

120+ FBS coaches saw his tape and/or watched him play in person, knew he was the son of an NFL QB and had an outstanding high school career, yet not one extended an offer. And it wasn't like he was playing in a tiny conference or for a no-name school.

Look, I'm rooting for the kid, but am measured in my expectation for all the reasons I mentioned and bloodlines and HS performance doesn't help you much when Nick Bosa is about to put you on your ass. But maybe he had a hell of a off season and all of a sudden is putting it together. Who knows?

And being furthest along in learning the system, like the Green starting, can be good or bad. It can say he has a great grasp and learns quickly, or it can say more about the other two.

1) Thanks for the run-on sentence where you essentially repeated the same statement five times (including an edit for clarity). That gave me a headache. Assuming you were eight Yuengling's deep?

2) I think the point you are trying to make is in the first sentence - that he "is actually decent and is beating out the other decent players". Of course, that is absolutely possible.

3) That said, when someone knows as much about quarterbacking as anyone I've ever met saw him throw in person and described his arm (albeit last year) as a poor-man's Kain Colter - that's not a very good sign. Maybe it got better magically this off season and he is a viable P5 starter. Great.

4) You can keep arguing the exceptions until you tire yourself out. But almost all walk-ons are not viable P5 starters. Just stop. Don't know how else to tell you that. You can argue Mayfield, our own Randy Dean, awesome. Still exceptions, not the rule. Every example you give me, I'll give you 50 more. (and by the way - Mayfield had P5 offers, he just chose to walk-on, like the kid at Minnesota today - that's a very different scenario).

5) Pedigree is great for the mental side. If a player has not shown the physical side, won't really help him much. And H.S. performance is great. For high school. Try throwing a 15 yard out in the Big 10. Slightly different.

6) What I will tell you despite all this resistance, the one area where a walk-on kicks any scholarship players ass is the chip on their shoulder. Especially when they felt they should have received scholarship offers. And when they don't get to eat with the others. That does help overcompensate for other weaknesses.
Wow, I'm a Yuengling guy, but didn't realize E-Cat was as well!

120+ FBS coaches saw his tape and/or watched him play in person, knew he was the son of an NFL QB and had an outstanding high school career, yet not one extended an offer. And it wasn't like he was playing in a tiny conference or for a no-name school.

Look, I'm rooting for the kid, but am measured in my expectation for all the reasons I mentioned and bloodlines and HS performance doesn't help you much when Nick Bosa is about to put you on your ass. But maybe he had a hell of a off season and all of a sudden is putting it together. Who knows?

And being furthest along in learning the system, like the Green starting, can be good or bad. It can say he has a great grasp and learns quickly, or it can say more about the other two.

32 NFL teams watched Tom Brady's tape from UM, no small school, and decided to pass on him multiple times. People develop at different speeds. If he's winning the competition in practice, I'm ready to see him get Saturday snaps.

Good thing he doesn't have to face dOSU. If Clayton is not ready at the start of the season, TJ only needs to lead NU past Purdue and maybe Akron. Purdue is good but they don't have Nick Bosa.

Look, I'm the first one who talks about our coaches not being uniquely gifted in finding talent (and this doesn't even count because we didn't exactly offer him either). But, if the kid gets to college and starts beating out scholarship players, that's a different story. Once you get on campus, all the star ratings and even the competitive offers means dick. Everyone is equal in having to show it on the field. Rashawn Slater and Samdup Miller had other offers, but were missed out by most of the country and the recruiting services relative to their Freshman All-American performances. Never mind all the "exceptions" like Sherrick McManus, Montre Hartage, Lawrence Taylor etc... We never saw Parker Westphal play. Tom Derricks. Jovan Witherspoon.

Nothing you wrote earlier suggests that you are rooting for the kid, so let's cut the bull. You're still not giving him credit for where he is on the depth chart. That maybe he had a hell of a off season and all of a sudden is putting it together is also BS - since he was already beating out the other scholarship QBs after Alviti and Thorson last year.

And cut the grammar lessons. There is not a single run-on sentence, so if you had difficulty processing, the problem lies else where.

Look, I'm the first one who talks about our coaches not being uniquely gifted in finding talent (and this doesn't even count because we didn't exactly offer him either). But, if the kid gets to college and starts beating out scholarship players, that's a different story. Once you get on campus, all the star ratings and even the competitive offers means dick. Everyone is equal in having to show it on the field. Rashawn Slater and Samdup Miller had other offers, but were missed out by most of the country and the recruiting services relative to their Freshman All-American performances. Never mind all the "exceptions" like Sherrick McManus, Montre Hartage, Lawrence Taylor etc... We never saw Parker Westphal play. Tom Derricks. Jovan Witherspoon.

Nothing you wrote earlier suggests that you are rooting for the kid, so let's cut the bull. You're still not giving him credit for where he is on the depth chart. That maybe he had a hell of a off season and all of a sudden is putting it together is also BS - since he was already beating out the other scholarship QBs after Alviti and Thorson last year.

There’s a reason everyone is so excited about Hunter Johnson.

Wow, I'm a Yuengling guy, but didn't realize E-Cat was as well!
38544449_10156478419188197_4348075816450523136_n.jpg

For those worried about Clayton's injury affecting his ability to "bond" with his receivers, this:

Asked if he has been healthy enough to get in the work necessary to establish a relationship with his wide receivers, he said, "Thankfully I've been able to throw since the first day of spring practice, which was awesome. So we've been able to work on timing, especially this summer when we had a lot more time to work. So it's been really good. I feel I've got really good chemistry, if not the best, with all the guys since I've been here."

https://nusports.com/news/2018/8/6/football-the-skip-report-picking-up-where-they-left-off.aspx

For those worried about Clayton's injury affecting his ability to "bond" with his receivers, this:

Asked if he has been healthy enough to get in the work necessary to establish a relationship with his wide receivers, he said, "Thankfully I've been able to throw since the first day of spring practice, which was awesome. So we've been able to work on timing, especially this summer when we had a lot more time to work. So it's been really good. I feel I've got really good chemistry, if not the best, with all the guys since I've been here."

https://nusports.com/news/2018/8/6/football-the-skip-report-picking-up-where-they-left-off.aspx
Saw that and was pleased. He had great chemistry with AC, his roommate. I would assume hey practiced a lot together and brain stormed football a lot together. I wonder if CT's young bride can catch?:)

Reactions: DaCat
Saw that and was pleased. He had great chemistry with AC, his roommate. I would assume hey practiced a lot together and brain stormed football a lot together. I wonder if CT's young bride can catch?:)

At this point in his marriage biology might be more important than chemistry. :D

Oh man.

"Once you get on campus, all the star ratings and even the competitive offers means dick" - I agree. Exactly as much as bloodlines and high school performance

"Rashawn Slater and Samdup Miller had other offers, but were missed out by most of the country and the recruiting services relative to their Freshman All-American performances" - Sam Miller was a four star (at least until espn screwed up the composite - still ended up a very high three). He committed very early to us, but several were sniffing. Rashawn Slater committed to us in January of the year before he graduated, yet already had three P5 offers. None of these are even close to being similar to Green.

If you are trying to argue that it's newsworthy any time a player outperforms their star ratings - okay? Do you expect Freshman AA teams to be only the five-stars? Also remember - Freshman AA teams are just as much about opportunity than talent.

And that is another reason to watch tape, not star ratings.

"Never mind all the "exceptions" like Sherrick McManus, Montre Hartage, Lawrence Taylor etc". - Sherrick McManus. Montre Hartage. Lawrence Taylor. That is an interesting three you picked (of which none were walkons, and the first two show how the staff is uniquely gifted in finding talent).

"Nothing you wrote earlier suggests that you are rooting for the kid, so let's cut the bull" - you know, other than me directly saying I am rooting for the kid. HOT TAKE!

You're still not giving him credit for where he is on the depth chart. - This is fair. I probably am not and should give a bit more credit.

"That maybe he had a hell of a off season and all of a sudden is putting it together is also BS - since he was already beating out the other scholarship QBs after Alviti and Thorson last year" - Based on beating out two freshman? With what, one snap ahead of Smith?

Am probably being harsh - but from all I've seen and heard, will echo GCG - very glad Johnson is in the mix. Now, if Green beats out Johnson - well, that is a very different story.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern

ECat wrote: "I'm the first one who talks about our coaches not being uniquely gifted in finding talent."
Really? You must be uniquely gifted to make that statement.

ECat wrote: "I'm the first one who talks about our coaches not being uniquely gifted in finding talent."
Really? You must be uniquely gifted to make that statement.

Yes, usually, the first one, means there is only one. You must uniquely gifted to point out something so obvious.

Oh man.

"Once you get on campus, all the star ratings and even the competitive offers means dick" - I agree. Exactly as much as bloodlines and high school performance

"Rashawn Slater and Samdup Miller had other offers, but were missed out by most of the country and the recruiting services relative to their Freshman All-American performances" - Sam Miller was a four star (at least until espn screwed up the composite - still ended up a very high three). He committed very early to us, but several were sniffing. Rashawn Slater committed to us in January of the year before he graduated, yet already had three P5 offers. None of these are even close to being similar to Green.

If you are trying to argue that it's newsworthy any time a player outperforms their star ratings - okay? Do you expect Freshman AA teams to be only the five-stars? Also remember - Freshman AA teams are just as much about opportunity than talent.

And that is another reason to watch tape, not star ratings.

"Never mind all the "exceptions" like Sherrick McManus, Montre Hartage, Lawrence Taylor etc". - Sherrick McManus. Montre Hartage. Lawrence Taylor. That is an interesting three you picked (of which none were walkons, and the first two show how the staff is uniquely gifted in finding talent).

"Nothing you wrote earlier suggests that you are rooting for the kid, so let's cut the bull" - you know, other than me directly saying I am rooting for the kid. HOT TAKE!

You're still not giving him credit for where he is on the depth chart. - This is fair. I probably am not and should give a bit more credit.

"That maybe he had a hell of a off season and all of a sudden is putting it together is also BS - since he was already beating out the other scholarship QBs after Alviti and Thorson last year" - Based on beating out two freshman? With what, one snap ahead of Smith?

Am probably being harsh - but from all I've seen and heard, will echo GCG - very glad Johnson is in the mix. Now, if Green beats out Johnson - well, that is a very different story.
Think he will earn a schlorship then?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT