ADVERTISEMENT

Locations of Tourney Games...and where we might go

Grafcat

May 27, 2006
So it looks like Milwaukee is out -- it's 4/5 games (and 12/13), so we won't be there.

Indianapolis is 7/10 games (two sets of them). So if we can somehow beat Purdue or make noise in BTT that's a possibility. The other 7/10 games are in Sacramento (yuck) and Tulsa.

We are most likely in the 8/9 world. Options there are Tulsa, Greenville, Buffalo, or Salt Lake City. Not so driveable from Chicago.

So it looks like Milwaukee is out -- it's 4/5 games (and 12/13), so we won't be there.

Indianapolis is 7/10 games (two sets of them). So if we can somehow beat Purdue or make noise in BTT that's a possibility. The other 7/10 games are in Sacramento (yuck) and Tulsa.

We are most likely in the 8/9 world. Options there are Tulsa, Greenville, Buffalo, or Salt Lake City. Not so driveable from Chicago.
More than the location, the biggest problem with an 8 or 9 seed is drawing a #1 seed in the Round of 32.

Is pre-publishing seeds a new thing? I always thought, first and second rounds were unbundled about 15 years ago, the top four seeds were placed in locations by priority order.

More than the location, the biggest problem with an 8 or 9 seed is drawing a #1 seed in the Round of 32.
My other favorite team is Kansas. If NU draws them in the second round, I'll have no problems saying tough luck to the Jayhawks.

Is pre-publishing seeds a new thing? I always thought, first and second rounds were unbundled about 15 years ago, the top four seeds were placed in locations by priority order.
correct. but at this point you have fairly good visibility into the 1 seeds, and can infer from there. I think it's settled Kansas (Tulsa), Nova (Buffalo), and Gonzaga (SLC) will get 1 seeds. The 4th one will go to either one of the top ACC teams (NC would be Greenville, Lville would be Indy), or one of the top Pac 12 teams (which would be Sacramento).

That said, if we lose out maybe we drop to a 10. Or if we beat Purdue we could rise to a 7 or maybe better if we make noise in the BTT too. So it's a lot of guesswork.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Ironically we might be better of losing badly and getting to a 10 seed or, better still, doing some damage and getting up to a 5, 6, or 7.

Still not sure how we'd end up playing Duke (likely a 4 or so) but boy would that be fun.....

Well come on, we're not winning the tourney or anything. So I don't mind that much.
I'll give you that, but a bit of an extended stay would be awesome. How cool would it be to make the Sweet Sixteen in our first Tourney appearance?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Lara and I will fly to Buffalo if we land there. Have room for about 300-350 lbs between the two backseats...

I am still debating a flight to Tulsa...

I am not sure that's right.

I was under the impression that the top 4 seeds' geographic preference dictate what matchups go where.

Looking at last year's bracket, Brooklyn had, for example, a 2/15 matchup, and the corresponding 7/10 matchup. But it also had a 3/14 and 6/11 matchup too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT