ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at NU's crucial penalties down the stretch vs. Purdue

Crucial penalties down the stretch against Purdue cost Northwestern its best shot at a win in more than a month.

Flagging fortunes

Having only been able to hear the game on WGN not able to know what TV showed with regard to that game killing penalty late in the 4th that erased a sure win by giving the Boilermakers a whole new set of downs.

Dave’s comment at the time was that the flag came in very late. I was left with the impression that it was a very iffy call. What did others see? I see Lou’s comment about contact while the ball was still in the air.

Last edited:
Having only been able to hear the game on WGN not able to know what TV showed with regard to that game killing penalty late in the 4th that erased a sure win by giving the Boilermakers a whole new set of downs when they had otherwise been stopped. (If I recall correctly it was a called pass interference on an uncatchable ball.)

Dave’s comment at the time was that the flag came in very late. I was left with the impression that it was a very iffy call. What did others see?

It was clearly interference. One thing that has struck me this year is an apparent lack of communication among the D-backs. The killer PI was unnecessary, but Ruiz didn’t know it. Had the other defendants let him know, he very well could have avoided the flag.

Ruiz has had a LOT of "discipline" (on the field) issues in his young career: poor run fits (remember ND?), PI penalties, and lacking coverage awareness. He has the physical tools to be a very good player. He needs to get his head together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT