ADVERTISEMENT

Man that was winnable

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Neb was red hot in the first half, we weren’t. Got it very close toward the end then went ice cold down the stretch (like at Wis). Boo’s worst game in a long time. If he has a slightly below average game (vs 2-15 shooting), we win. So hard to win on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
Well said. Definitely a gut punch but not a fatal blow. Still have all our goals in front of us - to steal a line from a former football “guy” - but can’t have any let ups next week. Need to beat ILL and OSU.

I think we *need* to win one of the next three (home OSU “easiest,” other two hard). That would put us at 5-5 after the first half of the league schedule. Back half of the schedule is theoretically quite a bit easier. But can’t take that for granted. Today would have been really nice to get.

Neb was red hot in the first half, we weren’t. Got it very close toward the end then went ice cold down the stretch (like at Wis). Boo’s worst game in a long time. If he has a slightly below average game (vs 2-15 shooting), we win. So hard to win on the road.
That game was 100% winnable, but for some reason to me it never had the feel of a game we were going to win. Even when we got to down 1 and had 3-4 possessions where we could have taken the lead. I just never felt it.

To be that close in a road game where Boo shoots that poorly says a lot for how far we have come though. Our defense was a lot better the last 15 minutes - just got cold at a bad time

That may have been a game where Nebraska’s losing a starter to injury actually helped them win the game. It took about 25 minutes for the Cats to figure out how to deny the pass off on double teams that kept giving Nebraska easy paths to the basket. Conversely, Nebraska did a nice job of overplaying Buie after the first 5 minutes. I haven’t watched the Huskers much this year, but have to figure the personnel changes they made to adjust for the injury surprised the Cats. It would have been nice if the adjustments came earlier.

Disappointing, but this team can really play, when they do. Up and down--not a consistent team, although they have the chance to finish in the top tier of the B1G

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Bad loss. Nebraska not a great team, Gotta win games like that if you wanna finish in top 1/3 of BigTen.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Bad loss. Nebraska not a great team, Gotta win games like that if you wanna finish in top 1/3 of BigTen.
They also beat Purdue and MSU at home. Those teams not gonna finish in the top 1/3rd?

It’s really hard to win on the road in this conference and Nebraska is very tough at home. It was a winnable game, but not many teams are going to beat them in Lincoln this year.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman

Can't really call it a bad loss when the other team is favored, playing at home and ranked higher than you.
I had it Nebraska 75 Northwestern 72 going into the game. Vegas had it Nebraska by 2.5?

However, we could have won that game. Edge to Hoiberg on the coaching side of things. They shredded us for 30 minutes before we turned up the intensity. Felt like we were the better team.

Last edited:
So hard to win on the road in Big Ten. Refs are human. Close calls go the way of the home team. There was a particular stretch in the second half where it seemed to lean against the cats. And the make up call late in the first that gave Neb three free throws was not a foul. But no news flash here.

Bad loss. Nebraska not a great team, Gotta win games like that if you wanna finish in top 1/3 of BigTen
They are not that bad a team, especially at home and that is where we had to play them. So far they have beaten IU, us, Purdue and MSU and I think all at home

If Boo was Boo we win
Anyone else wonder if Boo was sick or something on Saturday? He missed an awful lot of shots short, and he seemed to be tired and less active on both ends of the floor vs normal. I'm sort of hopeful it was just that and/or a patchy one-off game, rather than some injury that might linger. He's been pretty consistent this year so not as worried about the start of a slump or something, unless there is an exogenous reason why (e.g. he's hurt).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT