ADVERTISEMENT

Martinelli

I am trying to get my head around memorizing the phone book thing. First, how is someone capable of that and, second, why would anyone want to do that? Then I looked up Mr. Lucas on Wiki. Still alive and made a career around memorization.

Reactions: drewjin
Jerry Lucas aside, another huge boost to the program by the somewhat unexpected emergence of Martinelli is that next year, with Hunger healthy, we'll have a decent rotation even if Beran doesn't return for his Covid year.

Jerry Lucas aside, another huge boost to the program by the somewhat unexpected emergence of Martinelli is that next year, with Hunger healthy, we'll have a decent rotation even if Beran doesn't return for his Covid year.
We need Buie for one more year. The other 2 guys (Audige and Beran) don't have to return and we'll still be pretty good next year,

Reactions: DaCat
We need Buie for one more year. The other 2 guys (Audige and Beran) don't have to return and we'll still be pretty good next year,
There are going to be lots of teams with mature 6th years staying around giving them tons of depth. Why not NU?

Reactions: drewjin
I am trying to get my head around memorizing the phone book thing. First, how is someone capable of that and, second, why would anyone want to do that? Then I looked up Mr. Lucas on Wiki. Still alive and made a career around memorization.

Rice had a football player who solves Rubik's cubes behind his back.

He used to read the obituaries and delete the entries from his "phone book", every morning.

He used to read the obituaries and delete the entries from his "phone book", every morning.
This is untrue.
Jerry Lucas only memorized strings of numbers, never the names, according to his own website.

“tell me the page number, and how many rows down, and I’ll tell you the number.”

He’s got some CD-ROMs to sell you, because he’s brilliant!

Lucas is a very smart guy. You might recall that while he was with the Knicks he spent a good bit of time memorizing the Manhattan telephone directory. If I remember correctly, he lost interest somewhere around the "M"s.

Some people have photographic memories, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are smart.

Some people have photographic memories, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are smart.
Lucas was smart as I pointed out earlier in this thread. He got straight A's in high school and received an academic scholarship to OSU, from which he graduated Phi Beta Kappa.

Lucas was smart as I pointed out earlier in this thread. He got straight A's in high school and received an academic scholarship to OSU, from which he graduated Phi Beta Kappa.
Lucas is very smart; however “uses free time to memorize in the phone book” is not good evidence of this.

Memorizing numbers in the phone book is a really, really, really dumb thing to do.

So is selling CD-ROMs in 2023.

Lucas is very smart; however “uses free time to memorize in the phone book” is not good evidence of this.

Memorizing numbers in the phone book is a really, really, really dumb thing to do.

He did it because he was bored. I have repeatedly posted the evidence that Lucas was a very bright guy. Whether or not memorizing part of the Manhattan phone book is a really really dumb thing to do is a matter of opinion - you have yours and I have mine. Cheers;)

Reactions: DaCat

Back in the 70s there really wasn't much else going on for entertainment. Maybe watching paint dry.

Reactions: No Chores
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT