ADVERTISEMENT

Matt's in the finals!

DocCatsFan

Oct 26, 2006
He made it to the final round of the US Am. What an unbelievable accomplishment for such a young kid! He will be playing in the US Open, The Masters, and the British Open next year. It will be 4 majors for this kid by the time he's 19!

I watched most of it on NBC and the kid is absolute money around the greens, culminating with a 20-foot birdie putt at 17 to win the match. I think he's also had chip-in birdies the last two days. Hope we can make some noise in the NCAAs with him (like WIN it), because I think he'll have some players around him too. I wonder if he'll stay four years?

Originally posted by Catreporter:

I watched most of it on NBC and the kid is absolute money around the greens, culminating with a 20-foot birdie putt at 17 to win the match. I think he's also had chip-in birdies the last two days. Hope we can make some noise in the NCAAs with him (like WIN it), because I think he'll have some players around him too. I wonder if he'll stay four years?
I would expect him to stay 4 years. He's coming here because his parents have insisted he get a solid education. We have had other guys who have played in Majors as teenagers and stayed all 4 years despite seemingly being able to take their talents to the pro ranks-- Luke Donald and Eric Chun come to mind.

The problem with our team has always been depth. To win in the college format you've really got to be good top to bottom. With All-American Jack Perry coming back and only losing Nick Losole I think we can make some noise. Josh Jamison, Bennet Lavin, Matt Negri-- these are all players that can score. One thing is for sure, whether we win as a team or not, Matt Fitzpatrick is going to be a favorite to win the NCAA individual title. Obviously Luke was the last Cat to pull that one off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT