ADVERTISEMENT

McKeown

The women’s basketball team is like the football team of the previous two seasons in that they’re not even competitive. They have played 15 games and lost seven by 20+ (and four of those were by 30+).

I’m glad they beat Rutgers because going winless in conference seemed like a real possibility. Hopefully they can get another win or two but they are getting blown out by the better teams in the conference. It’s going to be a long season.

The women’s basketball team is like the football team of the previous two seasons in that they’re not even competitive. They have played 15 games and lost seven by 20+ (and four of those were by 30+).

I’m glad they beat Rutgers because going winless in conference seemed like a real possibility. Hopefully they can get another win or two but they are getting blown out by the better teams in the conference. It’s going to be a long season.
Yeah, haven’t seen them play in a month, but if they played like they did 30 days ago, we may have seen the last win.

It’s sort of a reality of women’s basketball that even middling teams are going to get absolutely smoked by the really good teams, who are in turn going to get smoked by the tiny handful of truly elite teams. Considering the women’s hoops team has had its share of quality teams and even reached some really high highs, I think these wave cycles of being down and then building up to a great team of veterans is an alright thing.

Reactions: ThirdCoast
It’s sort of a reality of women’s basketball that even middling teams are going to get absolutely smoked by the really good teams, who are in turn going to get smoked by the tiny handful of truly elite teams. Considering the women’s hoops team has had its share of quality teams and even reached some really high highs, I think these wave cycles of being down and then building up to a great team of veterans is an alright thing.
This is really bad for a coach who has established himself as a well-respected, successful coach. I mean, we have not gotten killed repeatedly like this in other down years. (And I do contrast losing when getting killed vs. losing close games, the latter being the way NU men did in recent down years). While I am big on setting reasonable expectations, I think our inherent NU disadvantages are materially smaller for women’s sports than men’s, so I don’t pass this season off as expected.

Agreed. The regular blowouts is not something that we’ve seen during McKeown’s 16-year tenure at NU. Even in his worst season (the first one in 2008-09) when the team went 7-23, we only lost five games by at least 20 points with the largest a 28-point defeat. This year we have already lost games by 38, 40 and 58! The program is going to require a complete reboot to simply get back to competitiveness, let alone winning.

40 point loss at home to a team just above NU at the bottom of the league. I know Joe is out, but this is utterly embarrassing.

I haven't seen any news on with what McKeown is sick, but he has missed several games now this season due to illness. The cats have consistently shown bad defense in pretty much all aspects of the game. I don't know who is supposed to be handling that for them, but I think that coach needs replacing.

The players show flashes of potential, and some of them seem like they could be star material and Mott and McWilliams are the only seniors afaik, so they have at least a season or two to get things humming.

I haven't seen any news on with what McKeown is sick, but he has missed several games now this season due to illness. The cats have consistently shown bad defense in pretty much all aspects of the game. I don't know who is supposed to be handling that for them, but I think that coach needs replacing.

The players show flashes of potential, and some of them seem like they could be star material and Mott and McWilliams are the only seniors afaik, so they have at least a season or two to get things humming.
Unfortunately, they need to replace the staff. This team is lost out there.

Reactions: cat inkansas
It’s hard to be optimistic about the future of the current roster when the team is regularly losing by 30+ points.

I'm not a basketball expert like many on this board, but it seems to me that they could go a long way to cutting that spread with better defensive positioning and response to ball movement. Easy example, often times, multiple cats will close out on a single player receiving a pass, leaving one or two other players even more wide open. That seems like a fixable error.

On the subject of beatdowns -- in a game now being played, the Univ of Houston women's team was SCORELESS during the entire first quarter. Score was West Virginia 17, Houston 0. (How low can you go?)

Unfortunately the women's game can be prone to blowouts. Right now in a Big 12 conference game, at halftime West Virginia leads Univ of Houston, 35-8. The Cougars were held SCORELESS in a 17-0 1st quarter.

Reactions: EagerFan
So in the second quarter WV only doubled their score while House octupled theirs? Man, Houston’s tough!

Reactions: GatoLouco
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT