ADVERTISEMENT

Mea culpa: Fitz blames himself for Duke debacle

I am sure it was but Vitabile was the best center they had so he played. Let me be clear, the implication of the story is not that Vitabile was not capable of learning the necessary techniques it's that he was never taught. For the most part the NFL is not a teaching league. They expect the fundamentals to be mostly in place by the time a player gets to the league. They reinforce, fine tune and teach their respective schemes.

Thank you. But my questions are this: Should not both the offensive coordinator and the head coach be able to see or know that our players lacked those fundamentals? Would that not be apparent on film comparisons?

Thank you. But my questions are this: Should not both the offensive coordinator and the head coach be able to see or know that our players lacked those fundamentals? Would that not be apparent on film comparisons?

I don't have any additional information on the context of the alleged comments about Vitabile's lack of fundamentals, but it would seem logical that, to your point, the coaches should be able to tell if a player lacked fundamentals or had poor technique.

I am postulating that with the type of offense that NU runs with roots in the spread, the emphasis may be on different techniques for the linemen, requiring more mobility and blocking in space. Teams like Stanford run a pro offense, which seems to prepare players better for the next level. QB's who play in the spread have to learn how to drop back, whereas QB's in the pro set already should have this down in college.

It still doesn't excuse the poor performance of the OL, but I suspect the Vitabile situation may be more endemic to the spread offense.

QB's who play in the spread have to learn how to drop back, whereas QB's in the pro set already should have this down in college.

While your point is correct, that doesn't seem to have been an insurmountable hurdle for Trevor, who is having a much better NFL career than Kevin Hogan.....

While your point is correct, that doesn't seem to have been an insurmountable hurdle for Trevor, who is having a much better NFL career than Kevin Hogan.....

True but I think it's a testament to Trevor's smarts and hard work to learn the drop-back technique so well. Plus Denver has a lot of shotgun snaps so he would be very comfortable with those plays. With more NFL teams going to the spread, maybe our linemen may benefit from playing in the NU offense... with "maybe" being the operative word.

I don't have any additional information on the context of the alleged comments about Vitabile's lack of fundamentals, but it would seem logical that, to your point, the coaches should be able to tell if a player lacked fundamentals or had poor technique.

I am postulating that with the type of offense that NU runs with roots in the spread, the emphasis may be on different techniques for the linemen, requiring more mobility and blocking in space. Teams like Stanford run a pro offense, which seems to prepare players better for the next level. QB's who play in the spread have to learn how to drop back, whereas QB's in the pro set already should have this down in college.

It still doesn't excuse the poor performance of the OL, but I suspect the Vitabile situation may be more endemic to the spread offense.

Sorry but I just don't agree. This has nothing to do with the spread. Fitz knows that our OL are not being taught proper OL techniques. The parent of a former starting NU OL posted on this board that the position coach gave absolutely no guidance to his son when that player was asked to make a switch from guard to tackle. How do you make that type of radical position switch without the coach working with the kid on his footwork, hand placement etc.?

Last edited:
... and because he himself was the Mizzou D.C. before being named head coach and the guy he fired was actually co-coordinator, making the in-season much more straightforward.
You appear to have skipped over my post #76 where I explained all of this. But yes. The Mizzou coach saw a problem and created a plan for it which he was ready to implement even if it was mid-season.

Sorry but I just don't agree. This has nothing to do with the spread. Fitz knows that our OL are not being taught proper OL techniques. The parent of a former starting NU OL posted on this board that the position coach gave absolutely no guidance to his son when that player was asked to make a switch from guard to tackle. How do you make that type of radical position switch without the coach working with the kid on his footwork, hand placement etc.?

Okay, that does sound bad. I can see stuff like that happening in high school but not in a Power 5 program.

I support Pat Fitzgerald and believe he is the ideal head coach for NU but I disagree with his handling of his staff. FItz is clearly a loyal and stubborn guy who was certain that "his guys" could grow into their positions of responsibility. In the case of Cushing, that clearly hasn't happened and it is unlikely to happen if it hasn't occurred by now. The lack of player development over a number of years and the resulting poor performance of the OL is holding the program back and this year could be the reason an otherwise very talented team does not contend for a Big Ten title. That is unfair to the players, the coaching staff, the school, the administration and the fans. A change is needed and I really hope that FItz sets his pride aside and makes a change this upcoming offseason for the good of the program.

It may not be so much pride, but due to the fact that he was probably promoted well before he was ready, and so he feels that he should give others who aren't quite qualified a chance to grow into the role. Speculation of course, but I'm just trying to fathom why he can't bring himself to do the obvious.

Okay, that does sound bad. I can see stuff like that happening in high school but not in a Power 5 program.

I wonder if Slater is starting as a true frosh because he actually learned hand placement and footwork before arriving at NU. Thus surpassing those who only knew Cushing's tutelage (or lack thereof).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT