ADVERTISEMENT

Men's hockey

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
I apologize if this is old news or material, but my daughter told me last night that Northwestern has "filed the paperwork" to establish a D1 program in ice hockey (stepping up from "club" - ACHA).
I'm not sure if that makes sense, but perhaps someone knows about this?

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
I apologize if this is old news or material, but my daughter told me last night that Northwestern has "filed the paperwork" to establish a D1 program in ice hockey (stepping up from "club" - ACHA).

I certainly hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt this considering we don't have a place to play reasonably close to campus. While Allstate Arena would be fine for me personally since I live on far NW side, it didn't really work for basketball student attendance-wise.

It would be amazing news if true, but with all the chaos at the University and in the Athletic Department, I doubt it's happening now.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

This would be a surprising and somewhat shocking development. So many questions? How would this be funded? What are the Title IX implications? Are we adding women’s sports? Subtracting men’s? I’d assume games over at All-State or perhaps Wintrust if indeed factual. Would love for this to be true; but I’m very skeptical at this point. 🤞

Reactions: nu greek
I certainly hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt this considering we don't have a place to play reasonably close to campus. While Allstate Arena would be fine for me personally since I live on far NW side, it didn't really work for basketball student attendance-wise.
It isn't just the place to play but also the place to practice that there is not room for Practice close to campus is probably even more important

This would be a surprising and somewhat shocking development. So many questions? How would this be funded? What are the Title IX implications? Are we adding women’s sports? Subtracting men’s? I’d assume games over at All-State or perhaps Wintrust if indeed factual. Would love for this to be true; but I’m very skeptical at this point. 🤞
It may be a way for more men's schollies as I believe you would not just have mens hockey but womens as well and they probably get more schollies

It isn't just the place to play but also the place to practice that there is not room for Practice close to campus is probably even more important
Currently the hockey club plays at Robert Crown Community Center, located at 1801 Main.
Evanston finished building the facility in 2020.
There are 2 NHL-sized rinks there and locker rooms.
So that would work for practices at least.

"NU’s $1 million investment in Robert Crown, aimed to help aid the center’s long-term viability, covers use costs associated with both the men’s club hockey team and Synchronized Skating Team through 2026."

Currently the hockey club plays at Robert Crown Community Center, located at 1801 Main.
Evanston finished building the facility in 2020.
There are 2 NHL-sized rinks there and locker rooms.
So that would work for practices at least.

"NU’s $1 million investment in Robert Crown, aimed to help aid the center’s long-term viability, covers use costs associated with both the men’s club hockey team and Synchronized Skating Team through 2026."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT