ADVERTISEMENT

Mich / Wisc Brawl

Reminds of the rule that if there's a deflection and the ball goes out of bounds, the ten second clock also resets. At least it used to, might have changed. Which means that, even if unlikely, a team could have a 30 second shot clock violation without a 10 second.
That happened late in the Wisconsin game when Davison got trapped on the sideline in front of our bench and called timeout. Ten second clock reset. Seems dumb to me - maybe reset it to 3 or 5, but not the full 10.

Maybe you’ve never seen that because nobody presses 3rd team scrubs down 15 with 15 to go.

I will never blame a coach for coaching deep into his bench when they find themselves in a tough spot. Not gonna let any of my guys get embarrassed if I can help it.

Just a thought. GOUNUII
I’ve seen teams press like that late. It’s kind of expected that the losing team keeps doing everything. Some teams continue to foul when it’s over. NFL teams continue to throw when down by 3-4 scores and seconds left.

Gard had a chance to de-escalate the situation and instead brought his gas can.

Again no excuses for Howard. I thought he should have been suspended rest of season including Big 10 tourney.

Reactions: hoosboot
I don't think anybody has mentioned this detail, maybe I missed it...

Gard said "one of the refs told me that if I called a timeout, the backcourt violation clock would reset to 10."

That struck me as pretty strange - a ref, apparently annoyed by Howard's full court press, giving advice to a coach on how to deal with it.
Why do you need to “deal” with it? 15-20 secs left run the clock and enjoy your double digit win.

I’m a big fan of teams who are winning being gracious no matter how poorly the other team is acting. In the Illinois vs Mich state game the other day, at the very end Illinois could have probably had a huge dunk instead kid stopped under basket and let the clock tick off. I’ve also seen them just let the shot clock expire and hand the ball to the ref even though the other team gets it back.

Let's accept your premise that Gard is a jerk (albeit an apparently non-violent one). Let's further say that Howard probably has experienced Gard's jerkiness in the past and should not have been surprised. However, let's further speculate that Howard's emotions got the best of him. So, as a result, several minutes after he and Gard are no longer talking, Howard reaches over several people and cuffs someone other than Gard. Help me understand that one.
By that stage Gard was behind a police officer. I’m sure if Gard was in range he would have received the cuff. I’ll say it again Howard didn‘t get enough discipline in my opinion, but we have zero idea what the Wisky asst coach was saying. I’m sure he wasn’t a choir boy

By that stage Gard was behind a police officer. I’m sure if Gard was in range he would have received the cuff. I’ll say it again Howard didn‘t get enough discipline in my opinion, but we have zero idea what the Wisky asst coach was saying. I’m sure he wasn’t a choir boy
I'll take a wild guess that the assistant was saying "WTF are you doing pressing our reserves when there is 15 seconds left in the game and you guys are down 15???"

Players on both benches were snickering while Howard had his guys frantically trying to get the ball - for no reason whatsoever.

I'll take a wild guess that the assistant was saying "WTF are you doing pressing our reserves when there is 15 seconds left in the game and you guys are down 15???"

Players on both benches were snickering while Howard had his guys frantically trying to get the ball - for no reason whatsoever.
IMHO, you've got the competitive situation completely wrong.

Don't think that any U.S. sport programs have a handshake line. Guess you can say hockey does but that is only after a final game in the Championship Series. Baseball players just stay in their dugout or head to the locker room. Same with football players, except for a few that talk/congratulate others on the field. Don't think I have ever seen a handshake line in the NBA.
Think the NBA used to shake hands but then they dropped it due to hothead issues, but I don’t follow the NBA much so maybe I’m mistaken

You should state your case. "I disagree" is a waste of time.
So, I should "take a wild guess" like you did? Okay.

I'll take a wild guess that the Wisconsin assistant wasn't saying, "WTF are you doing pressing our reserves when there is 15 seconds left in the game and you guys are down 15???"

Players on both benches weren't snickering about anything to do with Michigan pressing. Players on Michigan weren't even snickering and, if players on Wisconsin were snickering, they were snickering that they were beating a team they hate by 15.

Or I could just say,
IMHO, you've got the competitive situation completely wrong.

I got the sense Gard was going to let it go while simply walking through the handshake line...that all changed when Howard declared that he was "going to remember that shit". The "shit" that was predicated upon Howard pressing the bench players while down 15 with 15 seconds left in the game.
Absolutely. I would find myself, or anyone for that matter, hard pressed to just ignore "I'm going to remember that shit" without confronting the person saying it to me. Whether it's just to explain myself or call him the idiot he is. Just walking by and ignoring that in the heat of the moment would be very hard to do.

Think the NBA used to shake hands but then they dropped it due to hothead issues, but I don’t follow the NBA much so maybe I’m mistaken
No other team sport requires a handshake line after a game. Not hockey, baseball, pro basketball or College or pro football. Do away with it, as it serves no purpose. If players want to congratulate or mingle with other players, let them just do it on their own.

No other team sport requires a handshake line after a game. Not hockey, baseball, pro basketball or College or pro football. Do away with it, as it serves no purpose. If players want to congratulate or mingle with other players, let them just do it on their own.
as we are talking about coaches here, CFB coaches do have the traditional handshake, whereas the players mingle as you said.

NHL does it after every postseason series and I think it's a great tradition. Battle the heck out of another team for 1-2 weeks but then afterward still have class and appreciation for the effort by both sides. I know they also used to do it after postseason series in the NBA (remember MJ and the Pistons - when we finally beat them they ditched the handshake line) - but not sure if that is still the case.

Izzo had some good comments on the issue, I thought.

Absolutely. I would find myself, or anyone for that matter, hard pressed to just ignore "I'm going to remember that shit" without confronting the person saying it to me. Whether it's just to explain myself or call him the idiot he is. Just walking by and ignoring that in the heat of the moment would be very hard to do.
You sound like you're secretly insecure about what you did. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Howard made a statement:

“I am offering my sincerest apology to my players and their families, my staff, my family and the Michigan fans around the world. I would like to personally apologize to Wisconsin’s Assistant Coach Joe Krabbenhoft and his family, too.

“Lastly, I speak a lot about being a Michigan man and representing the University of Michigan with class and pride, I did not do that, nor did I set the right example in the right way for my student-athletes. I will learn from my mistake and this mistake will never happen again. No excuses!”

I am 99% sure this was written by some PR person. Now it will be up to him to either demonstrate it is, regardless, a genuine reflection of his beliefs, or just an attempt to cool things off.
Well, we will not know for a while since he has been suspended for the rest of the season

That’s his excuse but do you really believe that? 15 secs left and up 15 points- like it matters if they turn the ball over? Having seen lots of last minute substitutions I can’t recall another coach ever doing that.

Howard’s obviously a poor loser but Gard should have been the bigger man and just let it go. If he wants to talk call him later in the week once emotions aren’t on defcon one

none of this excuses Howard. Just saying Gard made it all worse and based on what I’ve seen of him in the past it fits his demeanor
I would have to see the end of the game but if they were having trouble getting the ball up court because of the press then yes. Several reasons. Teachable moment for the players is one of them. But we have seen how games can go downhill quickly. Best to stop it quick.

Reminds of the rule that if there's a deflection and the ball goes out of bounds, the ten second clock also resets. At least it used to, might have changed. Which means that, even if unlikely, a team could have a 30 second shot clock violation without a 10 second.
Is that if the ball gets deflected from the front court into the backcourt

That happened late in the Wisconsin game when Davison got trapped on the sideline in front of our bench and called timeout. Ten second clock reset. Seems dumb to me - maybe reset it to 3 or 5, but not the full 10.
It resets to 10. Not sure why but it does. Seems to defeat the reason for a 10 second clock

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I don't understand why this is considered a rip. I would love it if we could say that about Northwestern.
Me too I could’ve choose to be a fan of any other team or go be a fan of Michigan but I chose Northwestern because I love everything about the school and what it stands for, not too worried about a snarky comment here and there doesn’t phase me.

I don't understand why this is considered a rip. I would love it if we could say that about Northwestern.
Not me - I want less fans in front of me so that I can see the game while calmly seated.

Also, quieter fans. Too much noise at a sporting event is a distraction.

• Haha
Reactions: 4IUSox2 and ubercat
For what it's worth, Juwan Howard held a press conference today where he expressed deep regret and apologized for his actions. I do think it is worth something because we are living in an era where increasingly people don't apologize and, instead, double down on their bad actions or behaviors. Howard's apology seemed heartfelt and I give him credit for it. Everyone makes mistakes. How you respond to your mistakes speaks to your overall character.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT