ADVERTISEMENT

Miller Kopp

Meh. I think our chants are the exact opposite of “weak sh*t.” Our rabid student section is making a huge difference, pearl clutchers be damned. We don’t win the last 2 games without them. We’ve somehow turned into the Big Ten version of the Raider’s Black Hole. I’m not going to criticize their *highly effective* methods, even tho they may be a notch distasteful from time to time.

If you don’t like it, maybe start a chant that’s more clever (and louder) than our “bloodthirsty” (TM-West Lot Pirates) students. If not, sit back and enjoy the W. Just win, baby!
Yup. Still waiting for the purple seaters to start a chant….

Like it, don’t like it, Kopp passed up a wide open 3 late in the game on a play that looked designed for him. Students went nuts. Not hard to draw the connection.

I personally would not engage in such a chant. (“We want Miller, on the other hand, was hilarious and delicious.”) But the victim attitude from so much of the Indiana press and fan base is something. Don’t want to hear the shit? Don’t leave your school for a conference rival and talk the shit on your way out the door. Maybe Kopp ought to spend less time on his Tiktok and more on his shooting and preparedness for the game, since he clearly had more of an impact on NU hoops than he realized. Just not in the way he thought.

Wish him well in life, but this is all fair game on the court. Where’s the line? Going after McCaffery’s kid for mental wellness on Sunday would not be okay, and I’m confident it won’t be an issue.

It’s a game, man. Competition is great, but there is a line.
He transferred in conference. It’s a
Like it, don’t like it, Kopp passed up a wide open 3 late in the game on a play that looked designed for him. Students went nuts. Not hard to draw the connection.

I personally would not engage in such a chant. (“We want Miller, on the other hand, was hilarious and delicious.”) But the victim attitude from so much of the Indiana press and fan base is something. Don’t want to hear the shit? Don’t leave your school for a conference rival and talk the shit on your way out the door. Maybe Kopp ought to spend less time on his Tiktok and more on his shooting and preparedness for the game, since he clearly had more of an impact on NU hoops than he realized. Just not in the way he thought.

Wish him well in life, but this is all fair game on the court. Where’s the line? Going after McCaffery’s kid for mental wellness on Sunday would not be okay, and I’m confident it won’t be an issue.
thank you … I almost posted the exact thing. You want to avoid this … don’t transfer in conference bc as it’s becoming more and more clear with each game and each behind the scenes video - the frustrating decline of NU hoops with increased talent on the floor was more about Nance, Young and Kopp and less about Collins

There were kids at the game and they might think that's OK.

Now your child playing high school sports has that chant pointed at them.

Is that ok?

Love the enthusiasm but be better than that.
If your kid transferred to a rival school in his league and talked a bunch of crap about his former team on the way out, I wouldn’t expect a warm and fluffy welcome back, my guy.

People swear? People don’t like other people? This is terrible.
I don't think the point is that we're not aware of this. The point is that some things are just not called for. The standards of public behavior have seriously declined in this country, and the results are evident in our national dialogue and almost anywhere else you care to look.

If we want to talk uncalled for… Kopp was making fun of an IU student for their lazy eye on instagram after the student criticized IU basketball. While I would have preferred a more clever chant I wasn’t up in arms with this chant. If he just transferred out I would have been like come on now but he bad mouthed the university and has acted like an ass on social media.

As far as the DUI chant I’m perfectly fine with that. Kid made a dumb choice that put others lives at risk. At most universities if you get a DUI you end up with a lot worse punishments than being suspended for basketball games. A DUI is more than just a dumb college mistake. It’s a serious offense. It’s more than just getting caught partying and drinking. Kid decided to get behind the wheel and endanger everyone on/near the road. I don’t have much sympathy for the back lash or those actions.

Overall I’m just glad the student section is loud enough to be heard on TV. Makes it more fun to watch and an actual home court presence. The board was up in arms about the student turn out earlier in the season now and they are up in arms about the students when they turn out.

The ironic thing is if you to ask Kopp he would probably say if the current student support were like that when he was at NU he wouldn't have left in the first place.

The chants of our student body directed at Kopp were uncalled for, in my opinion. If you want to joke around, joke around. I use foul language rather liberally. However, I would never direct it at an opposing player in a chant. Especially a player that gave our school THREE YEARS OF HIS LIFE. Their chants made us seem like douche bags. Again, my opinion.

Northwestern.....Indiana's B1G team
100% agree. I am all for chanting and heckling but I thought swearing at him was uncalled for. Could have just done the “Miller, Miller” sing song thing. I’ve loved our student section this year but I thought the FU Miller was not cool, regardless of how he left the program he’s still a 21 year old (or close?) kid that played for Northwestern.

Yeah the “we want Miller” while he was on the bench was a good one. You shouldn’t chant F U Miller to him while he’s on the floor though. Just not necessary or cool IMO.
Y’all have your panties in a bunch. Great student sections have done far worse.

This is soooo Northwestern country club attitude. No wonder most schools think of us as elitist losers.

I don't mind the profanity so much as the lack of originality. If I want NU fans to "be better," it ain't because they said a naughty word.

I love what the fans have become in the last couple weeks, and I want them to keep it up. Maybe if IU plays NU in the BTT, we can take this lame chant and turn it on its ear. If they then try instead "LOVE YOU, MILLER" will the sarcasm come across?

As far as the DUI chant I’m perfectly fine with that. Kid made a dumb choice that put others lives at risk.
Yep. I do not know Indiana law and don't feel like looking it up, but probably a DUI is only a felony for a 2nd offense. Yet, it seems it should be above some alcohol level. 0.27 is just ridiculous and it has to exponentially be more threatening to other's safety than 0.09.

I don’t have a problem with FU Miller, but also I wouldn’t mind if some of this backlash encourages the students to be more creative/less profane next time with the same results.

The overarching message to Wildside, though, from all of us, should be: THANK YOU AND KEEP IT UP.

Anyone claiming “DUI” was unnecessary is just plain soft. Has the guy done anything to atone for that at all? Seems like he caught a huge break — as he suspected he would when pulled over — that other normal students wouldn’t.

Were they chanting F U miller or F**k u miller? To me there is a big difference. Boy was Collins giving him way to much credit in postgame for his career at NU.

Regardless of whether you like him, or not, Coach Collins clearly didn’t like the chant. And if we lose that game last night, it was because of Miller stealing the inbound for that final Indiana basket

Kudos to him, keeping his head in the game.

Regardless of whether you like him, or not, Coach Collins clearly didn’t like the chant. And if we lose that game last night, it was because of Miller stealing the inbound for that final Indiana basket

Kudos to him, keeping his head in the game.
That's giving Kopp a lot of credit for a real boneheaded play.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
That's giving Kopp a lot of credit for a real boneheaded play.
Yes. Our boneheaded play but he made the right call and didn’t foul. He hasn’t played well since he changed jerseys but that one moment he gets credit.

Actually, the Kopp play that impressed me wasn't the late steal on our bad inbound pass but the one where Chase (I think) knocked the ball out of his hands and he dove onto the floor to tip it to a teammate. Most guys would just dive on the floor to pounce on it, perhaps losing the ball in a toss-up at worst, but he had the presence of mind to know he couldn't pull that off, so he found a teammate. The steal at the end was more of a gift.

Reactions: NUCats
Meh. I think our chants are the exact opposite of “weak sh*t.” Our rabid student section is making a huge difference, pearl clutchers be damned. We don’t win the last 2 games without them. We’ve somehow turned into the Big Ten version of the Raider’s Black Hole. I’m not going to criticize their *highly effective* methods, even tho they may be a notch distasteful from time to time.
What universe are we living in if it's considered pearl clutching to not think it's cool for hundreds of people to basically just yell "f*** you" in unison at a person in an entertainment venue? Am I some sort of weirdo here? I'm really supportive of good student section taunting!

This isn't about whether or not they should be loud. It's awesome that they're loud and that they want to show up. I was there for "Hoosier Daddy" and the hunting vests the following year. I was 5 feet away from Gene Keady when he was screaming at us for getting in their heads. But I don't recall anyone ever suggesting "why don't we just cut to the chase and yell f*** (insert name here) a bunch" because we would've thought that was insane. Although I guess that would've been fun to yell at Joe Crispin for 2 hours 😀

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Are my panties in a bunch because I don’t want my grandchildren to hear that stuff? My 4-year-old grandson was sitting right next to the student section at the Purdue game. Glad it wasn’t the Indiana game.
Zero class. ZERO!

Are my panties in a bunch because I don’t want my grandchildren to hear that stuff? My 4-year-old grandson was sitting right next to the student section at the Purdue game. Glad it wasn’t the Indiana game.
Zero class. ZERO!
At least YOU didn't graduate in the Class of ZERO.

Last edited:
Reactions: StreamCat
I always speak for myself, but based on that thread I'm also not alone.

You are, of course, welcome to disagree all you want.

Well, you said “we root for Nance and Young”. Should have said “I” root for Nance and Young if you “always” speak for yourself. I don’t root for Nance or Young.

Zero class. ZERO!
Yes.

What universe are we living in if it's considered pearl clutching to not think it's cool for hundreds of people to basically just yell "f*** you" in unison at a person in an entertainment venue? Am I some sort of weirdo here? I'm really supportive of good student section taunting!

This isn't about whether or not they should be loud. It's awesome that they're loud and that they want to show up. I was there for "Hoosier Daddy" and the hunting vests the following year. I was 5 feet away from Gene Keady when he was screaming at us for getting in their heads. But I don't recall anyone ever suggesting "why don't we just cut to the chase and yell f*** (insert name here) a bunch" because we would've thought that was insane. Although I guess that would've been fun to yell at Joe Crispin for 2 hours 😀
Yes.

Well, you said “we root for Nance and Young”. Should have said “I” root for Nance and Young if you “always” speak for yourself. I don’t root for Nance or Young.
"I always speak for myself, but based on that thread I'm also not alone."

If that's still confusing the second time let me know and I'll try to find some visual aids.

• Love
Reactions: IGNORE2
I always speak for myself, but based on that thread I'm also not alone.

You are, of course, welcome to disagree all you want.
Nance and Young spent four years at NU giving it their all on and off the court. Actively pulling for them now and in the future (except if they run into the ‘Cats in March).

Like you, I also wish no ill will toward Kopp, but him bombing out at IU doesn’t phase me either. I don’t look back at his time in Evanston with any fondness, just indifference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT