ADVERTISEMENT

Miller Kopp

The announcers sort of chuckling about the chant says it all: this is the sort of behavior that the department and I/we, as grown-assed adults, cannot openly endorse and have to tut tut… but secretly we know isn’t a big deal and honestly we kinda love the spirit and want to see more salty welcomes to the next teams to roll into town. Get under their skin, Cats kids

Are my panties in a bunch because I don’t want my grandchildren to hear that stuff? My 4-year-old grandson was sitting right next to the student section at the Purdue game. Glad it wasn’t the Indiana game.
Zero class. ZERO!
Go to a swim meet or get ear plugs. WRA is going be loud and rowdy the rest of the year!

The ironic thing is if you to ask Kopp he would probably say if the current student support were like that when he was at NU he wouldn't have left in the first place.
If Kopp stayed he’d be playing behind Martinelli. I know first hand he was know on the team as a whiner and they were glad he left. Another recruit whose opinion of himself was higher than his talent and performance on the court. He’s on a worse team at a worse school now he really has a reason to sulk! 😢

What universe are we living in if it's considered pearl clutching to not think it's cool for hundreds of people to basically just yell "f*** you" in unison at a person in an entertainment venue? Am I some sort of weirdo here? I'm really supportive of good student section taunting!

This isn't about whether or not they should be loud. It's awesome that they're loud and that they want to show up. I was there for "Hoosier Daddy" and the hunting vests the following year. I was 5 feet away from Gene Keady when he was screaming at us for getting in their heads. But I don't recall anyone ever suggesting "why don't we just cut to the chase and yell f*** (insert name here) a bunch" because we would've thought that was insane. Although I guess that would've been fun to yell at Joe Crispin for 2 hours 😀
Joe Crispin, one of our favorite targets.

Its just a question of class.
If you were upset with Miller Kopp for insulting the NU basketball program on his way out the door, thats reasonable.
But if you then condone a bunch of people chanting "F U Miller" at him, then you are an incredible hypocrite and have lost the moral high ground. You have, in effect, stooped to his level and have given up your right to criticize him for insulting our program.

This stuff is really simple.

Reactions: StreamCat
I led many student section cheers back in my day. I would never have used the f-word like the current students did. It's shameful, and not a good look for NU.

Reactions: T_Levine
If Kopp stayed he’d be playing behind Martinelli. I know first hand he was know on the team as a whiner and they were glad he left. Another recruit whose opinion of himself was higher than his talent and performance on the court. He’s on a worse team at a worse school now he really has a reason to sulk! 😢
Careful, seems like Miller tends to read social media. May want to keep this to the pay board or get accused of having a lazy eye, my boy! I know I have invested in a mirror to scan the undercarriage of my car before I start her up.

Its just a question of class.
If you were upset with Miller Kopp for insulting the NU basketball program on his way out the door, thats reasonable.
But if you then condone a bunch of people chanting "F U Miller" at him, then you are an incredible hypocrite and have lost the moral high ground. You have, in effect, stooped to his level and have given up your right to criticize him for insulting our program.

This stuff is really simple.
I’m not sure you’re quite following. No one is saying that that yelling obscenities at player is classy. Nor is it necessarily moral, though we can argue utility if you really want to. It’s not even particularly clever. What we’re saying is that it is one of many highly effective, specialized, and focused tools being deployed by students to help us win a basketball game. (Which I personally value more than being perceived by some as “classy”).

Sure, you have every right to complain about our bloodthirsty student section. Just as they have every right to make home court the opposite of a safe space for opponents. The vast majority of us are going to enjoy the W and hope they keep making it tough on opponents in any way they can, even if they offend your sensibilities from time to time.

Reactions: IGNORE2
At least make it somewhat witty...
When Reggie Miller was playing for UCLA in the '80's, the CAL fans would scream "Cheryl" (his sister, one of greatest ever) whenever he took a shot. It was pretty funny, but had absolutely no effect on his near perfect 3 pt shooting. As I remember, he even enjoyed it.

When Reggie Miller was playing for UCLA in the '80's, the CAL fans would scream "Cheryl" (his sister, one of greatest ever) whenever he took a shot. It was pretty funny, but had absolutely no effect on his near perfect 3 pt shooting. As I remember, he even enjoyed it.
Reggie Miller and Miller Kopp have only their name in common.

Putting him in the same breath as a hall of farmer arguably top 5 shooter of all time is more offensive to a Reggie than chanting **** you Reggie.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Reggie Miller and Miller Kopp have only their name in common.

Putting him in the same breath as a hall of farmer arguably top 5 shooter of all time is more offensive to a Reggie than chanting **** you Reggie.
This was an example of fans using a slightly witty insult, not intended as a comparison of the players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT