ADVERTISEMENT

More Fitz Love

That wasn't very flattering to the NU program. Jerks.

Here another click through list of coaches ranked on basis of their college career:

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016...layers?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Is it mere coincidence or pro-forma that the majority of this list of collegiate HCs with college football player experience are former QBs? This unavoidable fact underscores the importance of what the QB position, the most demanding, the most essential to success and most critiqued position on the gridiron, holds - both in the film room, the recruiting trail and among university athletic director-ships. FItz is the rare exception except for Frank Solich (UNL & currently @ Ohio), Diaco (currently @ U Conn) and Sumlin (currently @ aTm).

It is critical that NU offensive brain trust accelarates Clayton Thorson's game-time effectiveness at controlling the game and the scoreboard, as well as that of his backups. It's a very good thing that Mike Kafka is a GA at this point of the pre-season. IMHO, Kafka will be instrumental in getting Mick McCall's offense to the next level, if only because he will be more relate-able with McCall's stable of QBs. McCall's past success at NU for developing high quality primary offensive playmakers is impressive, but the current set of QBs is going to be Mick's most challenging of his NU career. I truly believe kafka is gonna smooth things out for Thorson & Co. immensely.

I think Thorson will develop into a really good quarterback. He has all the tools and he seems to be a hard worker. What concerns me more is the development of a competent backup. We saw how important that was against Penn State last year. Hopefully, Kafka can help with that since he came off the bench himself to lead the team during his junior year when Bacher got injured.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
"The only thing keeping Fitzgerald from coaching at a school with title potential is Fitzgerald. He’s elected to remain at Northwestern for a decade, shunning interest from prominent football powers."

That says it all. We should all love this guy. Instead, some people only seem able to bitch about him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT