ADVERTISEMENT

Multiple sources now reporting that B1G has waived minimum games rule for OSU*

If dOSU had dodged NU in the B1G game, there was a chance they would have made it to the CFP.

Now, those hopes are shattered, because NU is going to beat the Bucks. Have fun in the Citrus Bowl Bucks.

You very rarely see this in baseball when it comes to a batting title. The batting title goes to the person who has the batting average and has 3.1 plate appearances/game his team has played (in 162 games, that's 502 PA). In rare circumstances, however, a batting title is awarded to someone who didn't have enough plate appearances, but is close enough that if you give them an 0-fer-whatever-they-have-left-to-get-502 and they're still in the lead, they win. Tony Gwynn won a batting title in 1996 with only 498 PA, for example. The more you know!

My point being, if OSU plays this weekend and loses, or even if they forfeit but officially get the sixth game, they qualify. If they don't play and end up undefeated, they don't. It makes sense in this case that they're still rewarded since they beat Indiana. I don't love that the rules are changed, and I doubt Indiana (or NU, for that matter) would get the same treatment, but it makes sense.

Now, get back to me next week when OSU has a random outbreak and can't play on 12/19.
I thought of this same thing - a perfect comparison.

Your or my perception of fair has nothing to do with it. What matters are the rules for the 2020 season that were agreed to by all schools, including OSU, before the season began. You can’t change the rules after the fact. This is the equivalent of changing what constitutes a pass interference penalty during the 4th quarter of a game. It just can’t happen.

I didn’t make any claims based on my perception. If anything, I acknowledged it wasn’t fair but gave reasons as to what influenced the decision.

I also stated that I generally don’t like changes to rules in mid-game or mid-season. This is a weird year where unprecedented “rule changes” occur far beyond the boundaries of a football field, and in essence, this is the third rule change during the period of a traditional season. Also within the rules is the ability of the Big 10 to vote and change the rules. So an argument could be made that a change of rule was within the rules.

I’m not defending the decision. As an OSU fan I would have accepted OSU not playing in Indy as an, “It is what it is.” The fact that they are playing is also an, “It us what it is.”

If dOSU had dodged NU in the B1G game, there was a chance they would have made it to the CFP.

Now, those hopes are shattered, because NU is going to beat the Bucks. Have fun in the Citrus Bowl Bucks.

I love the attitude ECat.

Well you have to beat up on somebody to make the revenue. Competitive games are good for the conference. Having 1 powerhouse and 13 also rans is not good for the revenue business in the long run.

I agree, but we’re not there yet. Right now It’s OSU responsible for the most revenue. You look at year after year, OSU games are among the most viewed broadcasts not only with Fox but when all networks are included. That’s a huge bargaining chip for the Big 10.

The conference does need to become more competitive on the top end. It was one of the first things Urban Meyer said when he came from the SEC.

Bottomline, the B1G Conference Leadership created this mess months ago when they canceled the first revised 10-game conference only season.

Then came the 8-game conference season. This was doomed from the beginning, as they left no room for makeup games, etc. At least the original 10-game conference schedule had room some room for makeups, etc.

This is 2020 and anything can happen.
A complete cluster **** from the start. They actually delayed into a virus surge! It’s not like that was improbable from the start. They cancelled the season and thought everyone would follow their lead. That rudderless ship called the NCAA did zero to assist and at least try and bring a consensus to the table. What exactly do they do anyway besides collect paychecks?

OSU is the right team from the East to play. They beat Indiana straight up and they didn’t get the game in this week because of Michigan. OSU could have lost 100-0 to Michigan and still been East champion. Nu would have been crying foul of the situation happened in reverse.

Now NU has another meaningless game with Lovie. They all have been because they are so bad. well, we were so bad last year. This game means much more for the Lovies. A chance to beat a ranked team, a chance to end a horrendous head to head skid against NU. If we take the game even partially serious, we win. I trust Fitz will have them ready to retain the Hat.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
My two cents....I generally don’t agree with rule changes in mid-game or mid-season, but this isn’t a generally normal season. After all, we are currently on the 3rd permutation of the 2020 conference football schedule. Unexpected unprecedented changes have been the normal for all of us since March.

This is a money decision. Not just trying to make the Conf. Championship game more lucrative, but for the Fox Sports contract. The biggest rating game for the Conference was taken away, the Conference wants to make sure the game in Indy attracts both Conference fans and out of Conference fans. Not just for the purposes of this year, but for negotiations with the contract renewal.

Is it fair that OSU gets consideration that a NU, IU, Illinois, or Rutgers wouldn’t? An argument could be made for- no. Is it fair that NU, IU, Illinois, or Rutgers, gets an equal share of TV, Bowl, or Playoff revenue as OSU? An argument could be made for-no.

Klemman,

Let me start by saying you are far and away my favorite visitor on this site. Insightful and balanced...although I want to push back against two things in your more recent posts.

1) Ohio State is part of the Big Ten conference. Part of the deal is that member institutions share resources. While the Buckeyes certainly bring a sizable financial windfall, for many years they significantly benefited from being associated with outstanding/elite academic institutions like Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. In my mind there's no real argument to be made. Everyone should get as close to equal treatment as possible, per the spirit of the conference. If that isn’t appealing, programs can always choose to go independent.

2) Having an additionally week of prep time over your opponent is a significant advantage. It's not really debatable. Just ask any coach. Do the results always show because of it? That's a different story.

Thanks for dropping by. I always look forward to your posts.

Last edited:
Klemman,

Let me start by saying you are far and away my favorite visitor on this site. Insightful and balanced...although I want to push back against two things in your more recent posts.

1) Ohio State is part of the Big Ten conference. Part of the deal is that member institutions share resources. While the Buckeyes certainly bring a sizable financial windfall, for many years they significantly benefited from being associated with outstanding/elite academic institutions like Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. In my mind there's no real argument to be made. Everyone should get as close to equal treatment as possible, per the spirit of the conference. If that isn’t appealing, programs can always choose to go independent.

2) Having an additionally week of prep time over your opponent is a significant advantage. It's not really debatable. Just ask any coach. Do the results always show because of it? That's a different story.

Thanks for dropping by. I always look forward to your posts.

Thanks for the kind words CCF1. I wasn’t defending the Big decision or saying that OSU is entitled to special consideration. Rather, inequities are present in many ways, and that’s just the reality.

As far as the extra week to prepare, there are advantages. Again my point is that there are advantages and disadvantages for having a bye, depending on the team’s status and the opponent.

Avoiding injuries the week before the Big Championship is the biggest advantage. Wear and tear in the abbreviated season shouldn’t be an issue for either team.

Game planning for NU? Maybe OSU finds something they can exploit. Correct me if I’m wrong but the Wildcats are pretty basic. Maybe I’m stereotyping but They play tough, disciplined, and smart. They are consistent. Good offense, very good D, and they win the turnover battle. I don’t know how you can game-plan against that beyond doing the same.

OSU’s weaknesses this year have been lack of game experience in the O-line, and defensive backfield. Fields handling an all out blitz where he knows he’s going to get hit. Tough to improve those things when only practicing.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
I agree, but we’re not there yet. Right now It’s OSU responsible for the most revenue. You look at year after year, OSU games are among the most viewed broadcasts not only with Fox but when all networks are included. That’s a huge bargaining chip for the Big 10.

The conference does need to become more competitive on the top end. It was one of the first things Urban Meyer said when he came from the SEC.

Found this interesting.

Thanks for the kind words CCF1. I wasn’t defending the Big decision or saying that OSU is entitled to special consideration. Rather, inequities are present in many ways, and that’s just the reality.

As far as the extra week to prepare, there are advantages. Again my point is that there are advantages and disadvantages for having a bye, depending on the team’s status and the opponent.

Avoiding injuries the week before the Big Championship is the biggest advantage. Wear and tear in the abbreviated season shouldn’t be an issue for either team.

Game planning for NU? Maybe OSU finds something they can exploit. Correct me if I’m wrong but the Wildcats are pretty basic. Maybe I’m stereotyping but They play tough, disciplined, and smart. They are consistent. Good offense, very good D, and they win the turnover battle. I don’t know how you can game-plan against that beyond doing the same.

OSU’s weaknesses this year have been lack of game experience in the O-line, and defensive backfield. Fields handling an all out blitz where he knows he’s going to get hit. Tough to improve those things when only practicing.

Totally fair response.
RE: Gameplanning, etc.

There are always new wrinkles you can put in to exploit tendencies/weakness. A staff like Ohio State’s will certainly make the most of the extra time they have.

Perhaps, more importantly is actually getting reps with a specific game plan in mind. Ohio State gets to focus exclusively on Northwestern up to Dec 19th, whereas Northwestern was concerntrating on Illinois this past week. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but the Buckeyes are practicing this week, yes? The extra practice time should, in theory, lead to better execution of that plan.

I’m summarizing quite a bit here, but Northwestern’s defense often comes out with their base personnel, but gets VERY creative with their pressure packages.

The offense under Bajakian’s lead, while capable of getting bogged down for several series in a row, does offer quite a bit of “eye candy” to process. Maryland fell for it bad in week 1 and the jet action with McGowan could have led to a game clinching score against the Spartans, if not for the fumble. It’s certainly not you guys dealt with against lU, but’s led by a very capable and experienced QB.

I know NU has the reputation of “crushing the fundamentals” and nearly all college programs have similarities, but the ‘Cats schemes are more nuanced than many might initially think.

Last edited:
Totally fair response.
RE: Gameplanning, etc.

There are always new wrinkles you can put to exploit tendencies. A stafff like Ohio State’s will certainly make the most of the extra time they have.

Perhaps, more importantly is actually getting reps with a specific game plan in mind. Ohio State gets to focus exclusively on Northwestern up to Dec 19th, whereas Northwestern was concerntrating on Illinois this past week. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but the Buckeyes are practicing this week, yes? The extra practice time should, in theory, lead to better execution.

Northwestern’s defense, while often in their base package, gets very creative with their pressure packages. The offense under Bajakian’s lead, while often getting stuck in the mud, does offer quite a bit of “eye candy” to process. I know NU has the reputation of “crushing the fundamentals” and nearly all college programs have similarities, but the ‘Cats schemes are more nuanced than many might initially think.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that NU has been repping some OSU stuff this week as well, at least with the starters.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Let's make this simple so you can understand. Participating in the Conference Championship Game and the result have NOTHING to do with participation n the playoffs!
The B1G was basically told that OSU would enhance their playoff chances - since it only has 6 games under its belt - with a conference championship. Normally, a conference championship doesn't ensure a sure path to the playoffs but this year is different,

And if Clemson beats ND (likely) and Florida beats Bama, those 4 teams - all with one loss - could get in over 6-0 OSU, IF they can get by Northwestern - a big if. The B1G wants teams in the Playoffs (money) which is why they wanted OSU in the CCG. Because of their shortened schedule, a possible conference championship would look better on their resume, this year especially.

Throw it right back at you: Do you understand now ?

Whether having a week off being an advantage or not, really depends on a retrospective of the team’s performance. Aka, “If it’s used as an excuse or not”. Come out making big plays and it’s because you’re well rested and had time to prepare.

Struggle and it’s because the break took away your momentum, caused you to lose your timing, too much time too think about it, the other team was beat up or couldn’t focus on you, or took you out of your routine.

I say in retrospect because you can’t predict either.

It hasn’t worked out this way but if Michigan played up to their talent or reputation, if OSU plays NU again in Indy a few years from now, the Buckeyes could be coming off of a game against a top 5-10 team full of future pros, and the Wildcats a game against Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT