ADVERTISEMENT

My personal connection to UNC-Asheville

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
For 14 years now, I’ve been following the tradition I grew up with, teaching my kids the importance of sports gambling early.

As one of four children in a two-parent home, the split was easy: kids got 3 teams in each regional, parents got 2.

As a parent of three since 2014, this becomes much more difficult. Our split has become 15 total teams for the kids, 9 total for the parents. So the kids get four teams in three regionals, three in the other. The parents get two in most regionals, three in one. And then, we’ve implemented team 64 as the mom/dad shared entry.

Our pool is always randomly drawn (I claim NU by rule when they make it). My favorite memory is when Gonzaga lost in 2017 (effff Gonzaga, 2017), and my then five-year-old just ripped apart his five-dollar runner up (+ an elite eight loser) winnings. “Second place is first loser”, he said, or something like this. He didn’t even watch One Shining Moment.

Anyway, we’re now in year nine of the 15/15/15/9.5/9.5 split, and the mom/dad shared club has never won.

Last night, the final team picked, the mom/dad split? UNC-Asheville.

Let’s make history and help get the Cats to the round of 16! (We’ll beat UCLA, too.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT