ADVERTISEMENT

Nance/Young

What? They both have a chance to make the final four or win a National Championship. NU may not win 8 games.
Young not good enough to play at NU but starting at Duke? Something is very wrong with that.
Titanium999 throws comments out there like that all thetime. 75% are intended as jokes, I think.

Cappy, this is the second time in couple weeks I've seen you jump into a conversation. I'm not a big policing guy, but this board has needed it for awhile. I say applause, applause. I hope you'll continue to scale back some of the repetition, campaigning and obvious exaggerations.

Cappy, this is the second time in couple weeks I've seen you jump into a conversation. I'm not a big policing guy, but this board has needed it for awhile. I say applause, applause. I hope you'll continue to scale back some of the repetition, campaigning and obvious exaggerations.

I'm self-policing.

Reactions: drewjin
That's the idea.

The crap that went on today went on far too long. Grown ass men acting like teenagers on the internet in their grandma's basement.
Yeah, I was offline all weekend, certainly would not have let it get that out of hand otherwise. It's beyond my comprehension that this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

The crap that went on today went on far too long. Grown ass men acting like teenagers on the internet in their grandma's basement.
I'm confused. Are you talking about the football ranting over on the other board?
There's certainly nothing going on here.

Pete's gone off for 18 tonight to lead UNC.

Edit: but ended up fouling out. Against Gardner-Webb. Younger brother of Spud Webb.

Last edited:
Reactions: GatoLouco
Young started and played 20 minutes for Duke in their 5 point loss to Kansas.

He had 6 points on 3/4 shooting, 3 rebounds (2 offensive), and 0 assists. He also had 1 steal and no blocks.

However he had four turnovers. I don’t see a +/- on ESPN stats.

Did anyone watch the game live?

Young started and played 20 minutes for Duke in their 5 point loss to Kansas.

He had 6 points on 3/4 shooting, 3 rebounds (2 offensive), and 0 assists. He also had 1 steal and no blocks.

However he had four turnovers. I don’t see a +/- on ESPN stats.

Did anyone watch the game live?
Yes. He looked like Young. Scrappy, great footwork, 100% effort, but sometimes a little outmatched athletically. Still started and contributed well. His turnovers were mostly due to quickness by the defense.

Ryan Young is back to the bench where he scored 4 points, but did grab 7 boards

Ryan Young is back to the bench where he scored 4 points, but did grab 7 boards
As the 3rd center on a team that likes to play 2 centers at the same time, Young has played between 15 and 20 minutes in each of the last 4 games. That will presumably drop to 10 minutes a game as Lively develops.

Through 5 games, Young is shooting 74% from the floor, scoring 15.4 points and 12.3 rebounds per 40 minutes.
The two freshman ahead of him are Filipowski and Lively. Flipowski is putting up 25 pts and 16.6 rebs per 40.
Lively is 8.1 pts and 7.6 rebs.

Duke being Duke, there is another 7'1" freshman, Christian Reeves also vying for some playing time.

As the 3rd center on a team that likes to play 2 centers at the same time, Young has played between 15 and 20 minutes in each of the last 4 games. That will presumably drop to 10 minutes a game as Lively develops.

Through 5 games, Young is shooting 74% from the floor, scoring 15.4 points and 12.3 rebounds per 40 minutes.
The two freshman ahead of him are Filipowski and Lively. Flipowski is putting up 25 pts and 16.6 rebs per 40.
Lively is 8.1 pts and 7.6 rebs.

Duke being Duke, there is another 7'1" freshman, Christian Reeves also vying for some playing time.
His playing time will really depend on the opponent, I think. He was overmatched against Kansas. Just too many high level athletes. He struggled to defend and rebound on the defensive end and hurt them when he was on the floor. But most opponents aren't Kansas, so he can contribute 10 plus minutes against smaller/less athletic teams. He can score and offensive rebound against most opponents because of his footwork and scrappiness under the basket. Defensive rebounding is trickier because more explosive athletes are able to jump over him or out quick him to the ball even when he has good position. And rim protection is an issue for him against any opponent. He is undersized with no hops or quickness. Not a recipe for blocking or altering shots. Based on the Kansas game, Lively has a long way to go getting back up to game speed, so hopefully Young continues to get minutes.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Pete's erupting today. 26 points with 5 minutes left, against Portland. But UNC and Portland are tied........
Pete finished with 28 points and seven rebounds in a hard-fought win for UNC. He played really well.

Pete finished with 28 points and seven rebounds in a hard-fought win for UNC. He played really well.
And Young has 11 points and 15 rebounds in a close Duke win today. Young is no longer starting but should be. Very strong in the second half.

Ryan and Pete get their pictures leading off stories about their games today:

I watched the game for a bit. Offense was great, but just bad defense, especially in transition. Kept getting caught looking at the wrong things and being a step slow.

Young has a double-double today against Oregon State, 11 points and 15 boards. 5* starting Center Lively has 2 points and no boards. Just sayin'.
Damn.
He played 30 minutes.
Duke only scored 54 points in the win.
Young was 4 of 5 from the floor.
The rest of Duke was 12 of 55.

I can't think of any way to spin this.

Young never did the work to develop quickness and defensive acumen to play next to Nance, a true 5. You just give up too much if Young is forced to guard the 4.

Young is not a starter. He will be a 10mpg or less team mascot, and the crowd will just beeeeeeg him to take a 3 up by 20 in garbage time at some point this year.

But he should have started for three seasons at NU. Oh well.
This post has already aged so well. A normal person would reflect on his shortcomings as a talent evaluator and consider the possibility that he has no idea what he's talking about in this regard. Of course, this is the Internet, so the bloviating will continue, uninterrupted.

This post has already aged so well. A normal person would reflect on his shortcomings as a talent evaluator and consider the possibility that he has no idea what he's talking about in this regard. Of course, this is the Internet, so the bloviating will continue, uninterrupted.
This post was written from the perspective of CCC.

It reflects the fact that CCC actually thought Nance was a five and therefore never played Young.

CCC is a terrible talent evaluator who evaluates based on star ratings.

This post was written from the perspective of CCC.

It reflects the fact that CCC actually thought Nance was a five and therefore never played Young.

CCC is a terrible talent evaluator who evaluates based on star ratings.
Yes, in your defense (not that you need it from me), you did say that you were joking.
I remember reading that post and thinking "What is this guy smoking?"

But, once I understood that you were being sarcastic, I thought your comment was subtly awesome (and an excellent dig at some of our negative nellies).

All year we will be getting these updates! Can you at least throw Miller into the mix?
I haven't been posting these updates out of masochism, necessarily. I just find it to be useful information that Nance and Young appear to "belong" on the floor with two of the best and most storied programs in the country. I actually thought they would be more limited role players. The level of competition in the preseason games is lower, but I am comparing these guys to their current teammates.

I haven't been posting these updates out of masochism, necessarily. I just find it to be useful information that Nance and Young appear to "belong" on the floor with two of the best and most storied programs in the country. I actually thought they would be more limited role players. The level of competition in the preseason games is lower, but I am comparing these guys to their current teammates.
Thanks. I believe they both absolutely made the right move. Nance was light years better than our next player last year, and needed more exposure if he has a shot at the NBA. Even if he doesn’t make it, he will likely play in at least a final 8. RY found a great fit and a mentor to New players. Why would he stay? I am just surprised people are painting this as if they somehow weren’t good enough to play at NU. I find that to be poppycock. They are complimentary players on a blue blood. Exactly, what they are best suited for. NU certainly could use their offensive but we don’t miss them at all on the defensive side of the ball. Kopp is worse, he is just doesn’t add anything to Indiana except a scowl and the belly roar when he hits a rare 3.

I'm rooting for Young individually and to a lesser degree Nance. They got their degrees and moved on. I ain't rooting for Kopp because he left early and trashed the program on the way out the door.

If people can look at our former players as individuals of interest and not a referendum on Chris Collins, then there should be no controversy whatsoever in talking about their careers and performances post-Northwestern.

Think about it.

I'm rooting for Young individually and to a lesser degree Nance. They got their degrees and moved on. I ain't rooting for Kopp because he left early and trashed the program on the way out the door.

If people can look at our former players as individuals of interest and not a referendum on Chris Collins, then there should be no controversy whatsoever in talking about their careers and performances post-Northwestern.

Think about it.
That would be great if the boards worked that way. It takes all of about 2 posts on how Nance or RY did before the peanut gallery cracks on how they are good enough to contribute at Blue Bloods but weren’t good enough for NU to win. The stretch 5 Nance stuff of RY’s minutes make it by post 4 or so. You don’t need to be Al McGuire to figure out the implications of the post. Dead horse category for me.

Reactions: ballerog711
That would be great if the boards worked that way. It takes all of about 2 posts on how Nance or RY did before the peanut gallery cracks on how they are good enough to contribute at Blue Bloods but weren’t good enough for NU to win. The stretch 5 Nance stuff of RY’s minutes make it by post 4 or so. You don’t need to be Al McGuire to figure out the implications of the post. Dead horse category for me.
Young is a great offensive rebounder and really good in the post against smaller defenders. He’s an awful defender and poor defensive rebounder against more skilled teams. I watched today against Xavier and he was just overmatched defensively. Had back to back possessions where he got his pass stolen for a layup and fouled a guard for a 3-point play.

Of course I wish he were still on the team. We desperately need his offense. But we are better defensively with him gone.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
Young is a great offensive rebounder and really good in the post against smaller defenders. He’s an awful defender and poor defensive rebounder against more skilled teams. I watched today against Xavier and he was just overmatched defensively. Had back to back possessions where he got his pass stolen for a layup and fouled a guard for a 3-point play.

Of course I wish he were still on the team. We desperately need his offense. But we are better defensively with him gone.
Yep, that is what I said.

Okay, thats your take. You are claiming he was overmatched against a guy that went 1 for 13 from the floor.

Here's what Duke's coach had to say about his centers defense against Xavier's leading scorer...

“Yeah definitely some adversity came our way with that. Ryan [Young] and Dereck [Lively] getting two fouls early. But the job they did on Nunge, I mean, 1-of-13, he’s a great player... And Dereck’s response on defense, Ryan’s physicality, I mean that’s a big-time thing. He’s their leading scorer, he’s been averaging 17.I... we talked about the defense collectively, but without those two guys guarding him, it would’ve been a long night for us. So really proud of the bigs and their effort."

For the record, Young played 21 minutes, was 3 of 5 from the floor, 2 of 2 on FTs, 5 offensive rebounds, 1 defensive rebounds. No assists, 2 turnovers. The turnovers came at 15:00 in the first half and 13:00 in the 2nd half. The sequence you described did not happen.

And the guy he was guarding (Xavier's star center) was 1 for 13 from the floor, for 5 points, with 5 rebounds and 2 turnovers in 33 minutes.

So if he Young has a bad game against Gonzaga, go ahead and say he's terrible, but don't be making s^%@ up .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT