ADVERTISEMENT

Nance/Young

They are gone. Good luck to them. Now let's talk NU basketball because they obviously don't give a hoot about us. Promote Purple!!!
I think a decent number of us here are interested in how the transfers are doing.

As long as the talk about these guys is confined to one thread it’s easy for people who don’t care to simply avoid the thread.

I think a decent number of us here are interested in how the transfers are doing.

As long as the talk about these guys is confined to one thread it’s easy for people who don’t care to simply avoid the thread.
Amazes me that people read and continue to return to threads they don’t like and then often stir the pot to get them shut down. Need an ignore thread button for the safespace population.

Go whole hog and include Miller Kopp. 3 players at top rated programs should give dreamers a reason to be salivating.

Go whole hog and include Miller Kopp. 3 players at top rated programs should give dreamers a reason to be salivating.
Miller Kopp gets mentioned from time to time.
Good performances like the one against Rutgers...
Bad performances like most of the other games.

The basketball chatter has died otherwise, which I guess makes some people happy?

Miller was great and IU got pounded by Rutgers.
I watched the second half
1) Kopp was the only IU player who played well
2) Even Jackson Davis was mediocre. Wish I had paid more attention to how Rutgers completely shut him down
3) IU has elite talent, elite defense. But, just like last year, mediocre discipline and no point guard. They will go as the ability of Xavier Johnson being a point guard goes. He's an elite athlete that does not fit any position on the court
4) Strange things happen at the Jersey Mike's Arena - RIP RAC

Also watched the 2nd half of the NC game.

Nance was probably the best player on offense for NC. But, boy, did he get eaten alive on defense.

It's 100% legit to question if Hubert Davis can coach
1) Team was underwhelming all season last year
2) They had a magical tournament run, but that is not unheard of. Did not make Kevin Ollie or Patrick Ewing good coaches
3) Team is beyond underwhelming this season

@GatoLouco while Jersey Mike’s is the only appropriate sponsor name*, I was totally blindsided when I learned of the change. RIP RAC, indeed.

*I would have also accepted the Bada Bing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GatoLouco
Also watched the 2nd half of the NC game.

Nance was probably the best player on offense for NC. But, boy, did he get eaten alive on defense.

It's 100% legit to question if Hubert Davis can coach
1) Team was underwhelming all season last year
2) They had a magical tournament run, but that is not unheard of. Did not make Kevin Ollie or Patrick Ewing good coaches
3) Team is beyond underwhelming this season
Nance isn't supposed to be guarding the other team's 5, especially when the guy is an All-American. NC's center got hurt so I think that was the reason for the switch. I was not very impressed by him. I had heard he was the preseason conference player of the year. Maybe it was the injury. But Jackson-Davis looked another level better than him.

Ryan Young got another shot at the hated Iowa Hawkeyes - and this time his team didn't get blown out.
Duke 74 - 62 winners.
Young came off the bench and played 26 minutes...
took a mere 2 shots, made 1.
grabbed 11 rebounds, with 3 blocks, 1 assist, 1 turnover.
Dick Vitale loves him.

Its got to be nice to beat Iowa.

Reactions: DaCat
It's bound to change a bit as Lively gets more experience. But it's clear, even if Young lost his starting spot, that Scheyer, at the moment, trusts him more than he trusts Lively.

This thread will never die.

So, update on Kopp, he is quietly having a nice season so far:

9.9ppg on 53.7 FG% and 48.9 3pt FG%

He also looks, in this pic, like he just got off the plane from Scandinavia:

i

This thread will never die.

So, update on Kopp, he is quietly having a nice season so far:

9.9ppg on 53.7 FG% and 48.9 3pt FG%

He also looks, in this pic, like he just got off the plane from Scandinavia:

i
He's 5th in the conference in Effective Field Goal % at a staggering 70.9%
Every shot Kopp takes has an expected value of 1.42 points.
Of course, conference games will lower that...
The BigTen website lists 92 players who have played enough minutes to qualify...

NU is led by Nicholson, who is 12th, with 62.9%.
Then we plummet to Beran, who is 62nd at 47.4%.
Then Audige, 70th of 92 players at 45.1%
Then Ty Berry, 75th with 44.1%
Then Verhoeven, 76th with 44.0%
Then Buie, 81st of 92 guys, with 42.3%
and finally Barnhizer, who is 91st at 37.2%

Looking thru this lens, we can see the magnitude of our offensive problems.

Reactions: GatoLouco
The BigTen website lists 92 players who have played enough minutes to qualify...

What is effective FG %? I assume it factors in the 3 pointers made as a bonus. So shooting a small amount of 3’s at a relatively high percentage and very few 2 pointers is likely to push you to a nice spot on the list.

I have watched some Indiana games and my scouting report is unchanged. Stands at 3 point lane, takes only wide open shots, can’t create at all, only gets rebounds when he slips inside of someone that is stunned to see him anywhere inside the 3 point line, and is well below average as a defender. Shooter that forces you to stick close to him and little else.

We miss Nance and Young way more than this guy.

What is effective FG %? I assume it factors in the 3 pointers made as a bonus. So shooting a small amount of 3’s at a relatively high percentage and very few 2 pointers is likely to push you to a nice spot on the list.

I have watched some Indiana games and my scouting report is unchanged. Stands at 3 point lane, takes only wide open shots, can’t create at all, only gets rebounds when he slips inside of someone that is stunned to see him anywhere inside the 3 point line, and is well below average as a defender. Shooter that forces you to stick close to him and little else.

You are correct about eFG%

(FGM + 0.5 * 3PM) / FGA

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Nance was 4-for-11 (bad!) and 0-for-6 from three (yuck!) but had ten boards (good!) in 40 minutes (the stamina!) and hit the game-tying buzzer-beater (clutch! Who knew!?) in a UNC OT win over Ohio State.

(I read the box and play by play but didn’t see the game.)

Kopp made two threes and IU for blown out at Kansas.

Can the members of this board start concentrating on the current nu men's basketball team and its players and potential high upside and let go all the transfers/failed recent past seasons??

Can the members of this board start concentrating on the current nu men's basketball team and its players and potential high upside and let go all the transfers/failed recent past seasons??
I don't see the crime. In fact I think its weird to ignore former NU players who are still active.

Reactions: drewjin
You know that you don't actually have to click the link that very clearly states the topic at hand, right? There is literally one thread devoted to former players on the entire board.

I Dont Arrested Development GIF

You know that you don't actually have to click the link that very clearly states the topic at hand, right? There is literally one thread devoted to former players on the entire board.

I Dont Arrested Development GIF
Arrested Development is an auto like from me!

Anybody else watch UNC/MICH today? Nance looked completely lost to me on defense. And aside from one nifty cut also looked lost on O. He did grab 6 rebounds. But mostly seemed to be hanging out, waiting for stuff to happen. I was sad to hear of his transfer. Not sure where he would fit with this year’s team, though.

We have 7 out of 92? Strange considering the huge size of the B1G! Have to be some mistakes here in. What is the minutes qualifier?

Brooks Barnhizer has a much better chance of developing into what most people thought Kopp would be as a player than Kopp does.

Brooks Barnhizer has a much better chance of developing into what most people thought Kopp would be as a player than Kopp does.
Barney is still a work in progress, but I sure like watching him and rooting for him more than I ever did for a whiny guy who stands at the line waiting for a pass.

We have 7 out of 92? Strange considering the huge size of the B1G! Have to be some mistakes here in. What is the minutes qualifier?
It looks like the qualifier is 15 minutes per game.
They currently list 93 players.
We still have 7 qualifiers. But thats about normal - 14 teams * 7 players per team would be 98 qualifiers.
I do have to correct myself somewhat - it wasn't the official Big Ten website, it was a general stats website and I filtered it to the Big Ten... (The Big Ten website just has the traditional stats)

Reactions: Rebel II
Barney is still a work in progress, but I sure like watching him and rooting for him more than I ever did for a whiny guy who stands at the line waiting for a pass.
The way he played last game prompted this comment to leave my mouth: "I think a team of Brooks Barnhizer's could make the NCAA tournament."

I really like him and Roper. Just hope they continue their growth starting 1/1 against OSU. Watched OSU last, gonna be a challenge.

The way he played last game prompted this comment to leave my mouth: "I think a team of Brooks Barnhizer's could make the NCAA tournament."

I really like him and Roper. Just hope they continue their growth starting 1/1 against OSU. Watched OSU last, gonna be a challenge.
Barnhizer played his best game against UIC. Like Nicholson and Roper, he has the right to improve significantly. But UIC is not a quality oppponent, so it is tricky to project future results against better athletes.

One thing about Barnhizer - he is our only natural "small forward." Audige and Berry and Roper all slot in as shooting guard/small forward tweeners. Beran is our only natural 4.

The more minutes Barnhizer gets as a 3, the more he will be able to score in the paint, which (so far) is how he has been most effective.

Barnhizer played his best game against UIC. Like Nicholson and Roper, he has the right to improve significantly. But UIC is not a quality oppponent, so it is tricky to project future results against better athletes.

One thing about Barnhizer - he is our only natural "small forward." Audige and Berry and Roper all slot in as shooting guard/small forward tweeners. Beran is our only natural 4.

The more minutes Barnhizer gets as a 3, the more he will be able to score in the paint, which (so far) is how he has been most effective.
While I enjoyed Barnhizer's game the other night, I was wondering if that translated to BIG play. It seemed like he was having success driving and scoring over smaller guys. He is going to face a lot more size starting in the New Year. But regardless, I hope that game helped his confidence.

My (don’t care about any sports) wife heard the name Brooks Barnhizer on TV and said “that sounds like the bane of a rich kid”. I pointed out who he was and she said “oh no, he does not look rich. He looks like a kid who would have bullied Ralphie and his brother”.

My (don’t care about any sports) wife heard the name Brooks Barnhizer on TV and said “that sounds like the bane of a rich kid”. I pointed out who he was and she said “oh no, he does not look rich. He looks like a kid who would have bullied Ralphie and his brother”.
I used to buy my cravats at Brooks Barnhizer

As the father of a child named Brooks, I can report that the name is really surging in popularity. As of 2021, the name Brooks is #77 in the U.S. male rankings; it was in the 600-700 range when Barnhizer was born.

Young’s not ‘starting at Duke’. You know that.

He will only start a conference or competitive non-con game if there are major roster injuries.

That said, anybody who thinks he made the wrong or bad or ethically unsound or soft decision to leave is a big dumb dummy.
Nance and Young would be 7th and 8th man off the bench at NU! We are definitely 💯 a ncaa sweet sixteen team!

As the father of a child named Brooks, I can report that the name is really surging in popularity. As of 2021, the name Brooks is #77 in the U.S. male rankings; it was in the 600-700 range when Barnhizer was born.
The first time I was aware of the name Brooks as a first name was when Brooks Robinson played 3rd base for the Orioles. Hardly anyone had that as a first name for a while. Now it's quite popular.

While I enjoyed Barnhizer's game the other night, I was wondering if that translated to BIG play. It seemed like he was having success driving and scoring over smaller guys. He is going to face a lot more size starting in the New Year. But regardless, I hope that game helped his confidence.
Flip side is that if you don’t do it against UIC you are much less likely to show the same level in the BIG

Young played 35 minutes for Duke on Tuesday. Without checking, I know CCC never gave him 35 minutes in a game at NU.

(He went 5-6, 10 points, 9 boards, and they lost.)

Young played 35 minutes for Duke on Tuesday. Without checking, I know CCC never gave him 35 minutes in a game at NU.

(He went 5-6, 10 points, 9 boards, and they lost.)
Likely because Filipowski was in foul trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT