ADVERTISEMENT

Nance/Young

I saw a tweet today showing that Duke is 15 pts better per 100 possessions with Young on the floor vs when he’s not, which is best on the team. They’re 15 points worse per 100 possessions with Dereck Lively on the floor, which is worst on the team. This includes defense, so it’s really clear how much better they are with the 5-star on the bench in favor of RY.
Ryan Young is a relative flurry of motion at the PF position on the floor for Duke, he really does a lot in addition to his scoring.

Update on former NU players

Ryan Young is the 28th best player in the ACC according to Evan Miya's BPR (Bayesian Performance Rating) but he is only the 5th best player on his Duke squad. However, he leads the team in +/- per minute at 0.175. He leads Duke in "Adjusted Team Efficiency Margin" and is 13th in the ACC by that standard. His BPR of 2.97 exceeds that of Northwestern's highest rated player, Chase Audige, who measures in at 2.77.

Pete Nance, who has missed a few games recently, is the 5th best player on UNC, with a BPR of 2.75. He has played like the 33rd best player in the ACC, based on BPR. He leads the UNC starters in "Adjusted Team Efficiency Margin" but is only 31st in the ACC by that measure.

Miller Kopp has a BPR of 1.71, placing him 71st in the Big Ten, below Audige, Berry, Nicholson, Beran and Buie, but ahead of Roper, Barnhizer and Verhoeven. For now.

Yeah that was pretty bad.

Virginia Tech also used screens to get him on the player that scored the go ahead basket.

Unusual ending to the UNC vs. Syracuse game tonight. Nance missed a free throw near the end that would have tied the game (sound familiar?), but then the Syracuse player scrambling for the loose ball on the rebound threw it right to Nance under the basket for an easy layup. Ended up being the game winner.

Unusual ending to the UNC vs. Syracuse game tonight. Nance missed a free throw near the end that would have tied the game (sound familiar?), but then the Syracuse player scrambling for the loose ball on the rebound threw it right to Nance under the basket for an easy layup. Ended up being the game winner.
That this happened to Boeheim wounds me deeply. I am bereft, despairing, despondent.

Good for Pete, better to be lucky than good.

He did not shoot well from the floor but ended up with 21 pts on 8-10 FT.
He got a lot of touches at the top of the key against Syracuse's zone D. Gave him opportunities to drive to the basket or shoot mid-range jumpers (or pass the ball around). He did make most of his FTs but missed a key one at the end.

One of the cardinal rules of BB is not to save the ball under your own basket. I only saw the last 20 seconds , Nance was lucky his free throw came off the rim so strongly that an NC player could contest it

I may be wrong but I remember Nance having a flat free throw but this shot was high arching

IU is taking on MN right now. Garcia is out. MN is even weaker than it usually is.

And who’s guarding Battle? Miller f’ing cop. Don’t know how the rest of the game is going but Battle scored the first 5 for MN

Sometimes I wonder if a 7 digit salary is warranted
Woodson had Covid and did not attend the game...
but you'd think the assistants would know better.

It's stupid to think about brackets in January.
I always find it hilarious that "bracketologists" like to even predict the matchups - right down to what city someone might end up in - so early. Guys...it's good enough to just predict the seeds at this point. We understand.

That said, I always look at the matchups anyway, so I guess they know what they're doing.

Similarly: I have a pet peeve that I hate when an announcer breathlessly announces "it's now a two-possession game!" when it's nowhere close to the end game ("Purdue makes it a two-possession game! Northwestern's lead is now 24-19!")

I always find it hilarious that "bracketologists" like to even predict the matchups - right down to what city someone might end up in - so early. Guys...it's good enough to just predict the seeds at this point. We understand.

That said, I always look at the matchups anyway, so I guess they know what they're doing.

Similarly: I have a pet peeve that I hate when an announcer breathlessly announces "it's now a two-possession game!" when it's nowhere close to the end game ("Purdue makes it a two-possession game! Northwestern's lead is now 24-19!")
I remember thinking, particularly during the 0-16 season in 2000, “if NU can get a few stops and a few buckets, then suddenly we can get it to ten points, which is striking distance.”

Announcers are very bored. 24-19 is boring. Two possessions is a) thrilling!, and b) underscores that they can count.

In a blow out win @ Georgia Tech (86-43) Young played a mere 10 minutes. Lowest for the season. He did not start. Derrick Lively played 24 minutes as a starter.

Young scored 10 pts on 5-6 from the field. 2 rebounds and no turnovers.

Wow Pete had played a miserable game tonight. In the final minute of the game he's: missed a crucial board giving Duke a 2nd chance, defensive miscue not doubling in the post when needed, missed a bad 3

Lively showed there is more to the game than offensive stats.

Duke is 4 and 2 last 6 games. Young plays more than 20 mins 0 and 2, less than. 20 mins 4 and 0.

Nance has stunk so far. Young has barely played.
Neither guy is a factor for their team. Nance getting any playing time tells you it’s a down year for talent at NC. The guy simply isn’t good enough in any phase of the game to play in ACC. Young an OK back up but that’s it.

Pete has turned into Killer Mopp. Just stands at the 3-point line like a statue. Awful game.
I’m the furthest thing from a basketball savant but this is what stands out to me each time I (usually accidentally) watch Nance play. How can UNC not have a better option? He’s also the least hustling rebounder ever.

Reactions: The Purple Knight
Neither guy is a factor for their team. Nance getting any playing time tells you it’s a down year for talent at NC. The guy simply isn’t good enough in any phase of the game to play in ACC. Young an OK back up but that’s it.
Lol, Young averages over 21 minutes per game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT