ADVERTISEMENT

Nance/Young

Then why only 6 minutes in a big game. 2 mins in second half. Also what are his defensive ratings
The five star freshman who has struggled for much of the year - whom is obviously far more talented than Young or any other player who has ever been affiliated with Northwestern - while Young has been playing ahead of finally broke out with a massive game with 14 boards and 8(!) blocks. He’s not gonna play as much going forward most likely with Lively emerging. It’s possible that it’ll be reasonable to see he won’t be a factor for Duke from Feb on.

Then why only 6 minutes in a big game. 2 mins in second half. Also what are his defensive ratings

Come on man... Lively is ESPN's #1 freshman. He had a breakout game on the defensive end.
If Scheyer had played Ryan Young, the crowd would have killed their coach.

Young’s not ‘starting at Duke’. You know that.

He will only start a conference or competitive non-con game if there are major roster injuries.

That said, anybody who thinks he made the wrong or bad or ethically unsound or soft decision to leave is a big dumb dummy.
He made the right choice and we're better off with Big Matt. Look at the Wisconsin highlights.

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320
He made the right choice and we're better off with Big Matt. Look at the Wisconsin highlights.
Young was soooo much better scoring in the post. But now that I've gotten used to Matt's game, I do think that his ability to finish on lobs is probably more valuable to our offense the way Boo and Chase operate. Young could never do that.

Matt is showing himself to be a very good athlete, giving me hope he might just turn into a better scoring option next year with some hard work over the summer.
He did make a (non-dunk) layup last night, which I can say without hyperbole, is the first time I've ever seen him do that. (Note: I have not seen every minute of every game this year)

Reactions: Alan Smithee
He did make a (non-dunk) layup last night, which I can say without hyperbole, is the first time I've ever seen him do that. (Note: I have not seen every minute of every game this year)
His drive and dunk was fun too, but with Martinelli wide open ahead of him, I’d have been pissed at his choice if he’d somehow missed it.

• Love
Reactions: DaCat and IGNORE2
Why does someone have to be a superstar or trash? Can’t he just be a decent player? Lively’s a 5 star who’s finally starting to play well, if that continues Young will probably see less time.
I never said he was trash, just if we are going to talk about players, talk all aspects of his game. Offensively he is OK. Defense not so good.

If people were starting a team, some would take Nance, some would take Young, so,e would take Matt.

Glad he will get the experience of going to the tournament and finish his degree.

As for the ranking they are far from perfect.

Young is Duke’s leading scorer despite not getting the start tonight. Also, Duke is down 24 at Miami with about five minutes left.

Finished with 11 in a 22 point loss. Is Duke in danger of missing the NCAA tourney??
They will likely still make it but their resume is awful. They only have 2 quad 1 wins both at neutral sites over Xavier and Iowa, 2-5 in conference road games with both wins being quad 3, and the ACC is so terrible that they don't have the opportunity to even play a quad 1 game at home.

Young is Duke’s leading scorer despite not getting the start tonight. Also, Duke is down 24 at Miami with about five minutes left.
I wonder why they played him only 18 minutes. Maybe AdamOnFirst knows…

Yeah, tonight's game against Miami was brutal. We are awful on the road, so our next game at UVA could be similarly lopsided.

If we win our remaining home games we should make the tourney, somewhere between an 8 - 11 seed. But I think we have no expectations of winning more than a single game in the tourney.

Ryan Young has been solid for us. Pretty limited skillset but generally good on Offense and a solid rebounder. Certainly better than Nance at UNC, which is nice. :)

Miami's starters go 6'7" 6'7" 6'5" 6'4" 6'0"
Duke starters go 7'1" 7'0" 6'8" 6'5" 6'2"

Duke turned it over 21 times. And got outrebounded 38-31.

Scheyer was so confused he had Lively and Young out there together for 4 minutes.

His drive and dunk was fun too, but with Martinelli wide open ahead of him, I’d have been pissed at his choice if he’d somehow missed it.
That was a completely ridiculous and hilarious play. As he gathers for the dunk rather than passing, which seemed like the right move, and flew around on the rim, he seemed just as likely to lose control of that big body, smash into something, and break like 3 bones as he was to actually dunk it.

Instead he laid down a chest pounding, destructive, violent King Kong dunk and kicked a Sconnie in the face for good measure. Freaking unreal.

Miami's starters go 6'7" 6'7" 6'5" 6'4" 6'0"
Duke starters go 7'1" 7'0" 6'8" 6'5" 6'2"

Duke turned it over 21 times. And got outrebounded 38-31.

Scheyer was so confused he had Lively and Young out there together for 4 minutes.
Miami boosters paid $1.3 million for those guards. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: NUCat320
I never said he was trash, just if we are going to talk about players, talk all aspects of his game. Offensively he is OK. Defense not so good.

If people were starting a team, some would take Nance, some would take Young, so,e would take Matt.

Glad he will get the experience of going to the tournament and finish his degree.

As for the ranking they are far from perfect.
He graduated from NU.

Huge game for Miller Kopp today. 18 points including 4-6 from three. Only his second double-digit scoring game since the calendar flipped to 2023.

He’s averaging 19.5 ppg in two games against Rutgers and, uh, less against everyone else.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Watching a good chunk of NC @ WF. No idea of Nance’s stats but Hubert Davis should say he needs to poop and just leave the arena. It’s embarrassing to see this team. It’s actually not a team, it’s five guys that got together to play ball.

I mean, other than having the 8th best offensive rating and 9th best FG percentage and 26th best offensive rebounding rate in the nation he’s been pretty ineffective. Certainly those aren’t things that help teams win.
Young is a backup on the worst Duke team in 20 years that is 6th in the conference and NOT ranked. He plays behind a freshman and I guess he is an OK rotational player for Duke. Really a non-factor on a non-factor team.

Young is a backup on the worst Duke team in 20 years that is 6th in the conference and NOT ranked. He plays behind a freshman and I guess he is an OK rotational player for Duke. Really a non-factor on a non-factor team.

Yes the freshman was the #1 recruit in his class according to ESPN.
Young's performance is better across the board than what he did for NU.
Good basketball player. Miserable comment.

Yes the freshman was the #1 recruit in his class according to ESPN.
Young's performance is better across the board than what he did for NU.
Good basketball player. Miserable comment.
I’m just shocked by the negative impact on Duke’s academic reputation by allowing the No 1 player in the country by admissions.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
I’m just shocked by the negative impact on Duke’s academic reputation by allowing the No 1 player in the country by admissions.
Duke's reputation was already damaged. And I don't know if Lively (or for that matter Filipowski) is a good student or not.

It is?? We couldn't even agree on our own board whether NU was a more prestigious academic institution than Duke. I wouldn't mind a little damage in the form of the #1 recruit in the land.
Yeah people who follow college basketball know that Duke signficantly lowers their academic standards for the basketball team. It eroded that way because of Mike Krzyzewski and the discrepancy is the worst among all Division 1 programs. The truth is the truth.

I look at college sports as competition between students. Is that idealistic? Maybe. But as John Mellencamp once sang - "You gotta stand for something or you're gonna fall for anything."

I look at college sports as competition between students. Is that idealistic? Maybe. But as John Mellencamp once sang - "You gotta stand for something or you're gonna fall for anything."
Well, you fell for the "competition between students" hoax. College sports are a competition between athletes. Students watch or go to the library.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT