ADVERTISEMENT

Nance/Young

Lol, Young averages over 21 minutes per game.
Did you watch the game tonight Lively struggled early in the year, but was in full beast mode tonight. He keeps playing like he did tonight and Ryan won't see the floor. Ryan has a better offensive game, but Lively is an order of magnitude more athletic and that's what Duke needed. They have enough scorers, they need someone who can defend and board and that ain't Ryan.

Did you watch the game tonight Lively struggled early in the year, but was in full beast mode tonight. He keeps playing like he did tonight and Ryan won't see the floor. Ryan has a better offensive game, but Lively is an order of magnitude more athletic and that's what Duke needed. They have enough scorers, they need someone who can defend and board and that ain't Ryan.
Obviously if a guy like Lively becomes a fully operational battlestation, Young hits the pine. Lively is a whole other type of player, np question Young isn't that.

However, the comment I replied to was that neither player is a factor on their new team. That's simply not true, as Young has been a big factor for Duke this year. How, we should ask, has Ryan Young played more minutes and been a bigger positive factor on a Duke team that is much much better than any NU team, - well, ever - than Ryan Young ever played for?

Obviously if a guy like Lively becomes a fully operational battlestation, Young hits the pine. Lively is a whole other type of player, np question Young isn't that.

However, the comment I replied to was that neither player is a factor on their new team. That's simply not true, as Young has been a big factor for Duke this year. How, we should ask, has Ryan Young played more minutes and been a bigger positive factor on a Duke team that is much much better than any NU team, - well, ever - than Ryan Young ever played for?
You are right. Ryan has been a factor for Duke. He, like Clint Eastwood said, "knows his limitations" and does what he does well. He has been a bigger factor for Duke than Pete has for UNC I dare say......

Duke is an ordinary, unranked team. So is NC. Better than NU? Sure. So what? They are a shadow of past Duke/NC teams

Young played about 20 minutes on average at NU. How is that so different?

Reactions: NUThump
Young played about 20 minutes on average at NU. How is that so different?
He did not play “about 20 minutes” for NU last year, he played 17 minutes. He plays fully 20% more minutes per game for Duke than he did for a bad NU team. 20% is significant even before considering Duke is a lot better.

Reactions: NUCat320
Duke is an ordinary, unranked team. So is NC. Better than NU? Sure. So what? They are a shadow of past Duke/NC teams
Duke has been ranked off and on repeatedly throughout the year and is current #27 in Sagarin, hence a “borderline top 25 team.” Perhaps you would prefer I called them a “lock tournament team.”

NU has never been either, not once, ever, in history.

Duke has been ranked off and on repeatedly throughout the year and is current #27 in Sagarin, hence a “borderline top 25 team.” Perhaps you would prefer I called them a “lock tournament team.”

NU has never been either, not once, ever, in history.

In *modern* history, no. But we do have two B1G titles and a pre-tournament national championship.

Not really sure how the improved play of ESPN's #1 freshman recruit (Lively) detracts from Young's performance for Duke.

Also worth noting - Lively had a great game on defense... he rarely left the paint on either end of the court, blocked 8 shots and had 14 rebounds (5 offensive). He has 40 baskets for the season - something like 32 of those are dunks.

And yes, Pete had a bad game.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
He did not play “about 20 minutes” for NU last year, he played 17 minutes. He plays fully 20% more minutes per game for Duke than he did for a bad NU team. 20% is significant even before considering Duke is a lot better.
He played more in his first two years, certainly about 20 on average. And for just last year - you think 3 more minutes of Ryan Young was going to do what for our team?

He played more in his first two years, certainly about 20 on average. And for just last year - you think 3 more minutes of Ryan Young was going to do what for our team?
Perhaps it would have led to move victories in “look at how close we are” losses.

The point is, there’s a difference between 17 and 20 minutes.

Perhaps it would have led to move victories in “look at how close we are” losses.

The point is, there’s a difference between 17 and 20 minutes.
My point is - there’s not much difference, and given his performance, there’s no guarantee of any better outcomes. Maybe we win one more close game per year? That doesn’t change anything.

If Duke didn't have Dereck Lively (again, the #1 recruit in the country per ESPN) then Ryan Young would be playing 25 minutes a night, at least. Not to mention starting every game.

Thats a reasonable way to frame this "debate."

Whatever man, don’t let facts distract from your conviction to apologize for and defense Coach C at every possible turn. Young is clearly capable of far, far more than Collins ever let him or set him up to provide.

Whatever man, don’t let facts distract from your conviction to apologize for and defense Coach C at every possible turn. Young is clearly capable of far, far more than Collins ever let him or set him up to provide.
Young played 25 minutes a year his first year. It went down to 19 and then 17. That averages to over 20. That’s a fact, dude. Whatever to you.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Young played 25 minutes a year his first year. It went down to 19 and then 17. That averages to over 20. That’s a fact, dude. Whatever to you.
Seems like a terrible coaching decision to see that decline over time like that, doesn’t it!

If Duke didn't have Dereck Lively (again, the #1 recruit in the country per ESPN) then Ryan Young would be playing 25 minutes a night, at least. Not to mention starting every game.

Thats a reasonable way to frame this "debate."
They'd also be a weaker team. They'd be about as interesting as Pete Nance is his name were Pete Schwartz

Seems like a terrible coaching decision to see that decline over time like that, doesn’t it!
Certainly very debatable; glad we’ve reached that point now and there’s no more lies about facts.

If everyone chooses to look at shooting %, that’s correct. But many here don’t consider defense, and that is Collins’ team’s identity.

Certainly very debatable; glad we’ve reached that point now and there’s no more lies about facts.

If everyone chooses to look at shooting %, that’s correct. But many here don’t consider defense, and that is Collins’ team’s identity.
That’s half of his team’s identity. The other half of the identity is cataclysmically ineffectual offense.

That’s half of his team’s identity. The other half of the identity is cataclysmically ineffectual offense.
If we finished continually last in the BIG in offensive rating, I would agree with “cataclysmic”, but we don’t. We are typically lower / middle and have done better in years where we’ve had more talent and experience. We never are upper echelon. And our shooting percentage aligns with this. We don’t always get great shots, but if you watch other games, it’s largely the same with other teams.

WHYTF do we have a 7 page thread for guys who don't play for us anymore? Nothing against them, but Jeebus, people.
Agreed. It's like divorced people who keep dwelling on and talking about the ex-spouses. It's over. Move on.

(Granted, both players served the Cats as well as they could. But as Hungry says, they don't play for us anymore.)

Agreed. It's like divorced people who keep dwelling on and talking about the ex-spouses. It's over. Move on.

(Granted, both players served the Cats as well as they could. But as Hungry says, they don't play for us anymore.)
We obsess over our guys in the NFL, why wouldn’t we be interested in our vet guys who transfer, especially when it sheds some light on guys who were divisive where they were with NU?

We obsess over our guys in the NFL, why wouldn’t we be interested in our vet guys who transfer, especially when it sheds some light on guys who were divisive where they were with NU?
Fair point about ex-Cats in the NFL -- but to me, there's a difference. Personally, I relish news about NU's athletes who seek pro sports careers -- or any other areas of endeavor. In fact, I'd love to see regular features by our fine WR reporters about post-playing careers of former players, be it in business or education or whatever. (Example: Billy McKinney's life in community politics as well as his excellent broadcast color work alongside Eanet.) Such news reinforces the ideal that athletics indeed can help lead to truly meaningful later lives.

It must be satisfying for our coaches on the recruiting trail to speak of the university's indisputable value in preparing Cats for what follows NU sports careers. Every success story supports the pitch to prospects and parents alike.

But it's harder to imagine the recruiter saying, "Just think of what coming to Northwestern could lead to: a transfer portal move to a REAL powerhouse program! You can use us to vault you to big-time schools." Nope. Athletes like Young, Nance, Joseph et al have the right to move on if they wish -- but I feel no need to read continued updates on their game-by-game performances for other schools' teams.

Do any others agree that periodic "Where are they now?" features on successful lives of ex-Cats beyond sports would be interesting to read here? Maybe that's just an old man's sappy sentiment ... What do you think, Lou?

Fair point about ex-Cats in the NFL -- but to me, there's a difference. Personally, I relish news about NU's athletes who seek pro sports careers -- or any other areas of endeavor. In fact, I'd love to see regular features by our fine WR reporters about post-playing careers of former players, be it in business or education or whatever. (Example: Billy McKinney's life in community politics as well as his excellent broadcast color work alongside Eanet.) Such news reinforces the ideal that athletics indeed can help lead to truly meaningful later lives.

It must be satisfying for our coaches on the recruiting trail to speak of the university's indisputable value in preparing Cats for what follows NU sports careers. Every success story supports the pitch to prospects and parents alike.

But it's harder to imagine the recruiter saying, "Just think of what coming to Northwestern could lead to: a transfer portal move to a REAL powerhouse program! You can use us to vault you to big-time schools." Nope. Athletes like Young, Nance, Joseph et al have the right to move on if they wish -- but I feel no need to read continued updates on their game-by-game performances for other schools' teams.

Do any others agree that periodic "Where are they now?" features on successful lives of ex-Cats beyond sports would be interesting to read here? Maybe that's just an old man's sappy sentiment ... What do you think, Lou?

Willie, I'm with you on all your points. I would definitely enjoy reading "Where are they now" profiles. There's gotta be countless good/inspiring stories just from NU football alums alone.

I mean, other than having the 8th best offensive rating and 9th best FG percentage and 26th best offensive rebounding rate in the nation he’s been pretty ineffective. Certainly those aren’t things that help teams win.
Then why only 6 minutes in a big game. 2 mins in second half. Also what are his defensive ratings

Then why only 6 minutes in a big game. 2 mins in second half. Also what are his defensive ratings

He had a bad tummy ache from the two orders of Hecky's rib tips that he had air mailed in that week, after suffering from extreme Lack of Hecky's withdrawal symptoms.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT