ADVERTISEMENT

Nance/Young

Young played 35 minutes for Duke on Tuesday. Without checking, I know CCC never gave him 35 minutes in a game at NU.

(He went 5-6, 10 points, 9 boards, and they lost.)
Lively and Whitehead didn't play at all, so Young had to pick up a lot of those minutes.

Lively was the #1 rated freshman nationally - he has shared time with Young at center.

But the 9 man rotation Duke wants to play was down to 7 guys,

UNC loses to Pitt today, which helps us out a little. Nance had 10 pts and 5 reb.

Carolina now with 5 losses. They had a great tourney run last year but they were a #8 seed for a reason. I think we’re starting to see that they were overvalued coming into the season and may be in that 7-8 seed range again this year.

Reactions: NUCat320 and DaCat
UNC loses to Pitt today, which helps us out a little. Nance had 10 pts and 5 reb.

Carolina now with 5 losses. They had a great tourney run last year but they were a #8 seed for a reason. I think we’re starting to see that they were overvalued coming into the season and may be in that 7-8 seed range again this year.
Watched the game. Bit of an uninformed opinion here as I don’t see UNC games that much. But it just feels that team is way too talented to not score 80 in every game. It is borderline comical the number of bad decisions they make on offense.

Nance was on the bench down the stretch when UNC was behind, which surprised me. Watching part of the game, it seems UNC doesn't share the ball well and makes bonehead plays. Nance is fairly invisible.

Watched the game. Bit of an uninformed opinion here as I don’t see UNC games that much. But it just feels that team is way too talented to not score 80 in every game. It is borderline comical the number of bad decisions they make on offense.
They don’t turn it over all that much and they get to the line. But Love is very inefficient against good competition (28% on 3s with high volume overall) and takes about 30% of the shots when he’s in which is not a good combo. A bit like Audige last year.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Ryan Young comes off the bench to go 5 for 5 from the floor with 6 rebounds (3 O, 3 D) at halftime. The guy he is backing up (Lively) has 3 fouls and zero shots attempted.

Duke leads Fla St 47-35.

Ryan Young comes off the bench to go 5 for 5 from the floor with 6 rebounds (3 O, 3 D) at halftime. The guy he is backing up (Lively) has 3 fouls and zero shots attempted.

Duke leads Fla St 47-35.
And Lively will be a millionaire in the NBA next year. Young, not. Life ain't fair.

Finished with a double-double, 20 pts-12 boards. Led the team in scoring.

Last edited:
And Lively will be a millionaire in the NBA next year. Young, not. Life ain't fair.

Finished with a double-double, 20 pts-12 boards. Led the team in scoring.
Young is 8th in the entire country in offensive efficiency (140.2), 13th in offensive rebounding % and is shooting 75% from the field.

I thought he’d have a cool experience getting to sit on the Duke bench and get some minutes here and there but he’s legit important to their success. Lively has not given them much.

Young is 8th in the entire country in offensive efficiency (140.2), 13th in offensive rebounding % and is shooting 75% from the field.

I thought he’d have a cool experience getting to sit on the Duke bench and get some minutes here and there but he’s legit important to their success. Lively has not given them much.
Seeing the progress Ryan has made gives me great hope that Big Matt will follow a similar trajectory. Matt is a MUCH better athlete, just needs serious work on his offensive game. He has time to grow though.

I'm legit shocked that he is getting four minutes MORE a game at Duke than he got the previous season at NU. The kid is a great story.

And the narrative some people want to push that NU is a better team without Nance and Young is so incredibly stupid I can't believe legit smart people are pushing it.

Holy geez he finished 7-7 from the field, 6-6 from the line, with 12 boards. In only 24 minutes.

20 is not his career high, as he had25 against SIUE and 20 against FDU and High Point. 12 boards equals a career high.
Great game by Young. Led all players with 20 points and 12 boards, leading Duke to the win.

Reactions: No Chores
I'm legit shocked that he is getting four minutes MORE a game at Duke than he got the previous season at NU. The kid is a great story.

And the narrative some people want to push that NU is a better team without Nance and Young is so incredibly stupid I can't believe legit smart people are pushing it.
And the narrative that his stats would be the same if he remained at NU with this squad surrounding him is equally as stupid.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Nance? I would like to be armed with this before I go to the NU game tonight! Yes, NU has a game tonight!
You must be incapable of starting a thread. I know nothing about OSU. Can you share your knowledge?

(IU hasn’t played since 12/23, and won’t play until late Thursday night. They’ll be on relatively low rest when they host the Cats next Sunday.)

Totally. He'd definitely have better stats at NU given the comparative lack of offensive weapons.
Young got a fair shot for his career at NU. Starter as a freshman. He would have helped this year. But he never did and was never going to lead us or any team to the promised land.

He’s now playing with others who command more defensive attention than the NU players did. Makes sense he would have games where he would do very well. Better teammates make you better.

Young got a fair shot for his career at NU. Starter as a freshman. He would have helped this year. But he never did and was never going to lead us or any team to the promised land.

He’s now playing with others who command more defensive attention than the NU players did. Makes sense he would have games where he would do very well. Better teammates make you better.
There's no "fair" in college basketball. There's just results.

I'm happy that a good kid who represented NU really well is having success in his new situation, but I'm quite certain that a NU team that struggles with putting the ball in the basket would have better results with a guy who puts it in there at a 70% clip. Especially when he's one that earns 21 minutes a game alongside three five-star recruits at his position on a team that is top 15 in the nation. And I'm quite certain that Coach Collins would agree with that assessment.

Young wouldn't have to "lead any team to the promised land" to be a really important piece on a good NU squad. I don't understand that approach to building a good team at NU. Good NU squads don't tend to have a single player who leads them to the promised land.

(edited to remove personal comments about Gordie's thoughts on interest in former players and approach to developing a good team.)

Last edited:
Sure and we would give up a dozen more points a game.
Maybe. But I suspect your hatred of Young's game is overwrought. He seems able to function decently enough in Duke's defense. I doubt that the difference between his and Verhoeven's defense is 12 points a game. I wouldn't suggest that the offensive difference is even that much and that's definitely where the starkest difference between the two players lies.

I know it really bugs you for other people to be happy that a good kid who represented NU really well is having success in his new situation, but I'm quite certain that a NU team that struggles with putting the ball in the basket would have better results with a guy who puts it in there at a 70% clip. Especially when he's one that earns 21 minutes a game alongside three five-star recruits at his position on a team that is top 15 in the nation.

And I'm quite certain that Coach Collins would agree with that assessment.
Wrong, that isn’t what bugs people. RY and Pete were always go soldiers, did their best and Pete was by far our best player last year. The issue is that some people continue to post stats on here in fail to even acknowledge the rather LARGE deficiencies in their games that don’t always show up in the box score. RY is a really good kid, but playing with better players usually make you a better player. sometimes the sum of the parts perform better than individual talent. That class never jelled. We may end up with a worse record this year, but this team has been fun to support all year.

Reactions: SDakaGordie

I know it really bugs you for other people to be happy that a good kid who represented NU really well is having success in his new situation, but I'm quite certain that a NU team that struggles with putting the ball in the basket would have better results with a guy who puts it in there at a 70% clip. Especially when he's one that earns 21 minutes a game alongside three five-star recruits at his position on a team that is top 15 in the nation. And I'm quite certain that Coach Collins would agree with that assessment.

Young wouldn't have to "lead any team to the promised land" to be a really important piece on a good NU squad. Your take on building a good team is really odd.
I said I’d be happy to have him; that means we’d be better with him. Too bad you could not see that and instead just want to attack me. I did not say I was not happy for him in his new situation. Too bad you could not see that - very odd.

My points are what I said - Young got a fair shot (to generate results, if you prefer), and better teammates make you a better player. I stand by them.

Cappy - your call on this, but if I offer an opinion and immediately get attacked, it would be odd for that person not to be censured (and censored). I’m not looking for safe space (“Bob”); I’m just really surprised that someone can take reasonable positions and generate the personal crap that comes from some people. Happy New Year!

I said I’d be happy to have him; that means we’d be better with him. Too bad you could not see that and instead just want to attack me. I did not say I was not happy for him in his new situation. Too bad you could not see that - very odd.

My points are what I said - Young got a fair shot (to generate results, if you prefer), and better teammates make you a better player. I stand by them.

Cappy - your call on this, but if I offer an opinion and immediately get attacked, it would be odd for that person not to be censured (and censored). I’m not looking for safe space (“Bob”); I’m just really surprised that someone can take reasonable positions and generate the personal crap that comes from some people. Happy New Year!
That's hilarious. You love to question the posting intentions of others, particularly PWB, but cry to a mod when someone does the same with your post.

My post was in response to you dismissing what Young has accomplished this year with:
But he never did and was never going to lead us or any team to the promised land.

I'm at a loss for why you feel the need to denigrate the kid. I'm glad that he's having such success at Duke and getting such positive attention, but I'm happy to take out the dig to avoid offending your delicate sensibilities. Cappy, please feel free to email me if you feel like there was something out of line.

That's hilarious. You love to question the posting intentions of others, particularly PWB, but cry to a mod when someone does the same with your post.

My post was in response to you dismissing what Young has accomplished this year with:

I'm at a loss for why you feel the need to denigrate the kid, but I'm happy to take out the dig to avoid offending your delicate sensibilities. Cappy, please feel free to email me if you feel like there was something out of line.
Saying the kid would not lead us to the Dance is not denigration - it’s reality after 3 years of games. And I still have not “dismissed” his accomplishments; I’m just putting context around them. Most important - why would you or anyone ever think I would denigrate someone as nice a kid as Ryan Young?

And if you don’t realize many of PWB’s posts (with his sole unwavering reliance on certain specific stats) are often trying to tear down Collins, and that it is reasonable and appropriate to challenge these posts, then I cannot help you. That being said, I do admit to being sensitive to people not recognizing this in at least some manner, and continuing to pile on, often in a personal way. It gets old and useless.

• Haha
Reactions: peatymeanis

You voice the same opinion time and again. And it doesn’t seem that you have earned the cgc type of protect from Lou and cappy yet. Guess you simply need to ignore more people. Remember ignore and ccc are your friends, I’m not.

You voice the same opinion time and again. And it doesn’t seem that you have earned the cgc type of protect from Lou and cappy yet. Guess you simply need to ignore more people. Remember ignore and ccc are your friends, I’m not.
You equate differing opinions with friendship status. I am more than pleased to ignore this level of intellectual maturity!

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Saying the kid would not lead us to the Dance is not denigration - it’s reality after 3 years of games. And I still have not “dismissed” his accomplishments; I’m just putting context around them. Most important - why would you or anyone ever think I would denigrate someone as nice a kid as Ryan Young?

And if you don’t realize many of PWB’s posts (with his sole unwavering reliance on certain specific stats) are often trying to tear down Collins, and that it is reasonable and appropriate to challenge these posts, then I cannot help you. That being said, I do admit to being sensitive to people not recognizing this in at least some manner, and continuing to pile on, often in a personal way. It gets old and useless.
Hmmm...if you don't realize many of your posts are reflexive reactions to your thinking that someone excited about one of the players who graduated through the program is an attack on Collins, and that it's sad to denigrate those players as a way to support Collins, then I cannot help you.

Hmmm...if you don't realize many of your posts are reflexive reactions to your thinking that someone excited about one of the players who graduated through the program is an attack on Collins, and that it's sad to denigrate those players as a way to support Collins, then I cannot help you.
Feel free to read my post. It’s not about Collins in any way. Who has reflexive reactions??

Duke got blasted by NC State last night. RY amazingly improved his offensive efficiency by shooting 4-4.

Nance played 2 minutes and left the game with a sore lower back. UNC prevailed against Wake Forest.

At this point its pretty obvious that Ryan Young is playing quite well for Duke.
Yes his new teammates are better on offense than his Wildcat teammates were last year, but Young's rebounding is better and his scoring efficiency is much better this year. The improved efficiency partly reflects the fact that defenses have to guard his teammates. The rebounding presumably reflects better use of his natural abilities. Note - Duke has a 7 footer playing "stretch 4" alongside Young most of the time.

TeamMinsFG%FT%RebsAsstsTOsPts
NU17.156684.20.91.29.0
Duke21.774866.91.61.28.3

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
At this point its pretty obvious that Ryan Young is playing quite well for Duke.
Yes his new teammates are better on offense than his Wildcat teammates were last year, but Young's rebounding is better and his scoring efficiency is much better this year. The improved efficiency partly reflects the fact that defenses have to guard his teammates. The rebounding presumably reflects better use of his natural abilities. Note - Duke has a 7 footer playing "stretch 4" alongside Young most of the time.

NU17.156684.20.91.29.0
Duke21.774866.91.61.28.3
Glad to see you are OK, PWB.

NU17.156684.20.91.29.0
Duke21.774866.91.61.28.3
I saw a tweet today showing that Duke is 15 pts better per 100 possessions with Young on the floor vs when he’s not, which is best on the team. They’re 15 points worse per 100 possessions with Dereck Lively on the floor, which is worst on the team. This includes defense, so it’s really clear how much better they are with the 5-star on the bench in favor of RY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT