ADVERTISEMENT

Nance's pouting

Nance pouts with disbelief every time he's whistled, every game. It's not a good look. And I'm sure it doesn't endear him to league officials, muchness help the team.

He needs to grow up and learn to play better defense. He is not the victim of poor officiating.

(Someone said that the players read this board.)
Our players got into Northwestern. They're way too smart to read these boards.

There’s a good chance he is more immature than he should be. His warming up today was not of a player who is focused.

Develop a hook shot instead of taking fade-aways 2 ft from the basket. Scoring cures all pouting.

Reactions: LansingCat
Expectations were unrealistic with Nance. He's a good prospect, but he played at a low level of competition in high school and people see his last name, realize who his dad and brother are, and assume he's that type of athlete. He's not and you could see that from the high school video. I hope he progresses because he's one of the better prospects at NU over the past several years.

I keep hearing what an outstanding prospect Nance is, and I’d like to believe that. But I, too, find his body language and apparent attitude offputting. And is it just me who thinks at least a couple of times a game that his potential is diluted by some knucklehead tendencies? I wonder how well he takes to coaching and striving to improve his game. Does he pay too much attention to his BMOC (Big Man on Court) PR?
Just wondering, and hoping I’m way off base.

I keep hearing what an outstanding prospect Nance is, and I’d like to believe that. But I, too, find his body language and apparent attitude offputting. And is it just me who thinks at least a couple of times a game that his potential is diluted by some knucklehead tendencies? I wonder how well he takes to coaching and striving to improve his game. Does he pay too much attention to his BMOC (Big Man on Court) PR?
Just wondering, and hoping I’m way off base.
I don’t want to play amateur psychologist here.

Fact is, he hasn’t played a lot of basketball (opted out of summer circuit, mostly), played against a low level of competition, and was a top 100 prospect because of length and name recognition. Even when those rankings were given, they came with written caveats.

We knew he’d be developmental. It’s disappointing that development has been this slow. Leaps between year 1 and year 2 are far more common than leaps between year m 2 and year 3. (This is a guess — Lindsey’s leap was year 3.)

He still needs the minutes. But Beran might get a crack to take them next season.

Last edited:
Maybe what we see now from Nance is the best we're going to get. I think at this point Beran should be starting instead of him as he shows more potential.

Maybe what we see now from Nance is the best we're going to get. I think at this point Beran should be starting instead of him as he shows more potential.
Beran IS starting, along with Nance. Turner and Greer are the only ball handlers off the bench to spell Spencer. Jones spells Young. Very thin line-up until Buie returns. Options are limited. The youngsters are getting their chance to get experience.

Would not advise any player to read message boards. If our players do come here and read it... well, it would be worse if they were playing for the likes of IU. Way, way more brutal online communities.

There’s a good chance he is more immature than he should be. His warming up today was not of a player who is focused.

Develop a hook shot instead of taking fade-aways 2 ft from the basket. Scoring cures all pouting.

You're being serious right now?

Reactions: GatoLouco
"His warming up today was not of a player who is focused."

Warm ups? Really?

He needs to spend all of next summer balling with big brother and other NBA players, if he isn’t already. And while he’s at it, if he can bring Buie along with him, that would be awesome.

"His warming up today was not of a player who is focused."

Warm ups? Really?

Yes. A big reason I wish some coaches would be on the sideline for a while during warming up. Being goofy and all when warming up is perfectly fine. Not taking a significant amount of shots focused is not.

Yes. A big reason I wish some coaches would be on the sideline for a while during warming up. Being goofy and all when warming up is perfectly fine. Not taking a significant amount of shots focused is not.

Just... wow.

Just want to put it out there that Nance missed 6 weeks last year during conference play from mono, so last night was only his 16th Big Ten game. He's super young and inexperienced, even for a sophomore. I'd like to think the guy we'll see 6 weeks from now will be much better. Last night was certainly a stinker but it's way, way too early to give up on him.

What happened during warm-ups that was so unfocused?

Just... wow.
Maybe you think it’s old school but there are coaches that feel warmups are actually for warming up and getting your intensity and head right about the impending game. I did not see the warmup in question so can’t make a specific statement on last nights game, but I don’t think the poster is off base on this. Caveat is that each player perhaps warms up and gets their mind right in a different way...

What we need now is an Iverson rant about warmups. “We’re talking about warmups???”

Reactions: GatoLouco
Maybe you think it’s old school but there are coaches that feel warmups are actually for warming up and getting your intensity and head right about the impending game. I did not see the warmup in question so can’t make a specific statement on last nights game, but I don’t think the poster is off base on this. Caveat is that each player perhaps warms up and gets their mind right in a different way...

What we need now is an Iverson rant about warmups. “We’re talking about warmups???”
You just might get that.

Maybe Nance knows that he is not athletic enough to make it in professional basketball unless he is a tall outside shooter and wants to develop that particular trait to be attractive

gocatsgo2003 said:

Just... wow.

[/quote]
Just like pretty much every coach, playing away, after team is introduced, gathers the group around and collectively ignores the introduction of the home team. Not watching the video screen, smoke, etc.

Yesterday, our entire team casually watched The IU starting lineup being introduced. All but 1 or 2 players looking up at the scoreboard video.

While I don’t think this is a big deal, it was also different from the norm.

Just like pretty much every coach, playing away, after team is introduced, gathers the group around and collectively ignores the introduction of the home team. Not watching the video screen, smoke, etc.

Yesterday, our entire team casually watched The IU starting lineup being introduced. All but 1 or 2 players looking up at the scoreboard video.

While I don’t think this is a big deal, it was also different from the norm.

"While I don't think this is a big deal, I am going to make a separate post calling it out."

Logical.

Reactions: willycat
Just... wow.
"While I don't think this is a big deal, I am going to make a separate post calling it out."

Logical.

Just illustrating that there are many aspects of the game that people find relevant. And there's merit to such claims (it's not off base like someone said before), regardless of you agreeing with them or not.

But you seem to be craving some attention. What can I do for you buddy?

Reactions: IGNORE2
Just illustrating that there are many aspects of the game that people find relevant. And there's merit to such claims (it's not off base like someone said before), regardless of you agreeing with them or not.

But you seem to be craving some attention. What can I do for you buddy?

Nothing. Just think it's pretty dumb to try to glean insight into a team's mindset from warmups and introductions.

Reactions: willycat

While I don’t think this is a big deal, it was also different from the norm.[/QUOTE]
it ISN'T a big deal!

Nothing. Just think it's pretty dumb to try to glean insight into a team's mindset from warmups and introductions.

Not buying it buddy. Calling it "pretty dumb" instead of just disagreeing seems like a cry for attention.

Want me to say you are smarter than me? Have better logical reasoning? That you would kick my behind in debate club? I'm here for you. I got your back.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Not buying it buddy. Calling it "pretty dumb" instead of just disagreeing seems like a cry for attention.

Want me to say you are smarter than me? Have better logical reasoning? That you would kick my behind in debate club? I'm here for you. I got your back.

Whatever make you feel better. I'm good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT