ADVERTISEMENT

Nattering nabobs of negativism...

Rebel_

Dec 20, 2001
Upland bird hunting paradise...
Never thought I'd quote Spiro Agnew, but a good percentage of comments on the Rock are far beyond belief. Everybody and everything about NU football is not trash. I saw many excellent minutes from the 'Cats today. We are a young and improving team. We are going to be very competitive soon. Trust the process.

Never thought I'd quote Spiro Agnew, but a good percentage of comments on the Rock are far beyond belief. Everybody and everything about NU football is not trash. I saw many excellent minutes from the 'Cats today. We are a young and improving team. We are going to be very competitive soon. Trust the process.

Really?

You mean discussion isn't improved on The Rock?

Maybe we could hire this guy as a DB coach. He’s really giving Odukah from dOSU the business:

Maybe we could hire this guy as a DB coach. He’s really giving Odukah from dOSU the business:

He won't last long in the League with that sh#t, so he should be available. They are grown men and that is not a proper form of communication in the pros. 1 on 1 private conversations are the protocol. And most successful. The person yelling is NOT in control.

Reactions: NVAcat
You mean discussion isn't improved on The Rock?
They are freaked out over there. The 2 cheerleaders there are doing their best. Corbi ultimately failed by declaring that we will smoke msu, and corals man crush on coach anderson claims our OL will be fine.
That said, i really like nicknames and Coral outdid himself with "The Incredible Hull".

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Speaking of nattering nabobs of negativism, should we razz Mike Fitz or wait until we win a game against a team from FBS?

Speaking of nattering nabobs of negativism, should we razz Mike Fitz or wait until we win a game against a team from FBS?
Let’s wait. Duke may embarrass us yet again, which I’m confident he’ll “accurately predict”.

He won't last long in the League with that sh#t, so he should be available. They are grown men and that is not a proper form of communication in the pros. 1 on 1 private conversations are the protocol. And most successful. The person yelling is NOT in control.
Anyone who has raised a child through their teenage years knows that they hit an age where they start to talk back in a snotty, know-it-all way that can just cause your blood pressure to explode. I don't know if that is what happened here, nor does it excuse anything, but it seemed like this started as a somewhat calm lecture, but then Odukah opened his mouth and that is when the coach seemed to lose it. Wonder what he said....

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Anyone who has raised a child through their teenage years knows that they hit an age where they start to talk back in a snotty, know-it-all way that can just cause your blood pressure to explode. I don't know if that is what happened here, nor does it excuse anything, but it seemed like this started as a somewhat calm lecture, but then Odukah opened his mouth and that is when the coach seemed to lose it. Wonder what he said....

13. I hate it. What happened to that sweet little baby who loved her father more than anything?

Now I bring her to her friend's birthday party and before we get to the door, she says, "you can go now."

She talks back, all the time. She and her mother really get into it sometimes. I run away and hide.

And she doesn't like hugs anymore. Sigh.

Reactions: TheC
My 10 year old son sassed us a few times this summer to the point where our parent friends said something about it. Talk about humiliation!

He is a good kid, but he's definitely reached an age where he speaks his mind in less diplomatic ways. Much more of that to come, I am sure. But we are working on his delivery.

My 10 year old son sassed us a few times this summer to the point where our parent friends said something about it. Talk about humiliation!

He is a good kid, but he's definitely reached an age where he speaks his mind in less diplomatic ways. Much more of that to come, I am sure. But we are working on his delivery.
May wife and I refer to the adolescent years of grunts, sarcasm and eye rolls as the years on the dark side of the moon.
Eventually they returned to regular communication and were again a pleasure to be with.
The Mark Twain quote “ When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could barely stand to have the old man around. When I got to 21, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years,” says it all.

You were saying?

I'm still saying it, you get what you wish for. You claim to be a fan but do nothing but complain. When Fitz leaves I'm sure you'll be the odds on favorite to save us and lead us to a Natty because you have all the answers.
I would not have hired a historically awful DC to replace an all-time defensive coordinator like Hankwitz if I were in Fitz’s shoes. That’s for certain.

I'm still saying it, you get what you wish for. You claim to be a fan but do nothing but complain. When Fitz leaves I'm sure you'll be the odds on favorite to save us and lead us to a Natty because you have all the answers.
Fitz isn't leaving for decades, but pretty clear that he made an error in his hiring of JON.

One that he'll have to fix as soon as possible.

So a true fan has to accept every coaching decision unconditionally, even a disastrous DC hire? Seems to me that a fan should applaud the coach for his positives—and Fitz has many—but hold him accountable for the negatives.

Reactions: IGNORE2
So a true fan has to accept every coaching decision unconditionally, even a disastrous DC hire? Seems to me that a fan should applaud the coach for his positives—and Fitz has many—but hold him accountable for the negatives.
No, you have a very good point. I appreciate the civility and nuanced reply. Fans are entitled to be fanatical.

Reactions: jjjjjjj
This one poster used to have this as a tag line. This is what the coaches and players need to do

There were young knights among them who had never been present at a stricken field. Some could not look upon it and some could not speak and they held themselves apart from the others who were cutting down the prisoners at My Lord’s orders, for the prisoners were a body too numerous to be guarded by those of us who were left. Then Jean de Rye, an aged knight of Burgundy who had been sore wounded in the battle, rode up to the group of young knights and said: ‘Are ye maidens with your downcast eyes? Look well upon it. See all of it. Close your eyes to nothing. For a battle is fought to be won. And it is this that happens if you lose.

Before I crash tonight, I wanted to dig this thread up. Because I agree with @Rebel_ that the negativism is out of control.

There was no better time for a bye week after the debacle in Lincoln. There is no better opponent for us to right the ship against than Rutgers. This is our first homecoming game since COVID wrecked our societal norms, and I know our players will appreciate the opportunity to get things back on track with a victory.

I don’t just think that we’ll win - I expect it. We have a lot of talent on this roster and I think this is the game to turn this season around. I’m looking to our experienced players to show their pride and our younger guys to seize the moment. And both Jake & JON should be coaching, planning, and gamecalling like their jobs are on the line because they are.

Go Cats! Beat Rutgers! Disregard the negative nabobs of negativism! Life is too short to wallow in despair. I feel sorry for fellow fans who have given up on this team, because I sure haven’t.

Reactions: fcmchi

Before I crash tonight, I wanted to dig this thread up. Because I agree with @Rebel_ that the negativism is out of control.

There was no better time for a bye week after the debacle in Lincoln. There is no better opponent for us to right the ship against than Rutgers. This is our first homecoming game since COVID wrecked our societal norms, and I know our players will appreciate the opportunity to get things back on track with a victory.

I don’t just think that we’ll win - I expect it. We have a lot of talent on this roster and I think this is the game to turn this season around. I’m looking to our experienced players to show their pride and our younger guys to seize the moment. And both Jake & JON should be coaching, planning, and gamecalling like their jobs are on the line because they are.

Go Cats! Beat Rutgers! Disregard the negative nabobs of negativism! Life is too short to wallow in despair. I feel sorry for fellow fans who have given up on this team, because I sure haven’t.
This is an extraordinarily important game for the program. We have seen this team come out of the gates looking awful before only to right the ship and win games we never would have predicted them to win in those dark Septembers. However, this year's version is exceptionally awful. I haven't seen an NU team look this outclassed since the 1980's.

We've had a lot of discussion on here about why that is. Is it fixable? Quickly? Perhaps, but that is the key question. If they come out and beat Rutgers, or even be competitive for all four quarters, but somehow blow it in the end, that would still be somewhat satisfying. However, if Rutgers rolls out to a 14-0 lead by slashing through our defense with big plays and no third downs needed and goes on to a mostly comfortable win, then this program is in a WORLD of hurt.

This is an extraordinarily important game for the program. We have seen this team come out of the gates looking awful before only to right the ship and win games we never would have predicted them to win in those dark Septembers. However, this year's version is exceptionally awful. I haven't seen an NU team look this outclassed since the 1980's.

We've had a lot of discussion on here about why that is. Is it fixable? Quickly? Perhaps, but that is the key question. If they come out and beat Rutgers, or even be competitive for all four quarters, but somehow blow it in the end, that would still be somewhat satisfying. However, if Rutgers rolls out to a 14-0 lead by slashing through our defense with big plays and no third downs needed and goes on to a mostly comfortable win, then this program is in a WORLD of hurt.
Agreed. I don’t think that will happen though. I had a bad feeling about the Duke and Nebraska games but what’s done is done.

Expect victory! A positive anything is better than negative nothing. Right @Rebel_ ?

(2002 enters the chat)
The 2002 team gave the national champion OSU squad all it could handle and were in it all game. They were young but fierce aside from some ugly blowouts (with a defensive scheme that was outclassed more so than the actual level of talent), but the pride was there and so was the heart.

Now imagine if this team played OSU… let’s just say that I’m glad we won’t this year.

The 2002 team gave the national champion OSU squad all it could handle and were in it all game. They were young but fierce aside from some ugly blowouts (with a defensive scheme that was outclassed more so than the actual level of talent), but the pride was there and so was the heart.

"aside from some ugly blowouts" Which ones? The one where Larry Johnson broke the Penn State single game rushing record four plays into the third quarter? The 62-10 loss at Iowa? The loss to Air Force that was so bad that ABC sent viewers to other games in the first half?

Since I was thankfully not yet a fan during the Dark Ages, the 2002 team was easily the worst one I've ever seen. Yes, they lost a relatively close game to Ohio State. They also beat only three teams, with a combined 7-29 record, by a combined 18 points. Fierce!

"aside from some ugly blowouts" Which ones? The one where Larry Johnson broke the Penn State single game rushing record four plays into the third quarter? The 62-10 loss at Iowa? The loss to Air Force that was so bad that ABC sent viewers to other games in the first half?

Since I was thankfully not yet a fan during the Dark Ages, the 2002 team was easily the worst one I've ever seen. Yes, they lost a relatively close game to Ohio State. They also beat only three teams, with a combined 7-29 record, by a combined 18 points. Fierce!
The 1998 team went 0-fer in conference despite having D’Wayne Bates and Barry Gardner, and the 1999 team was also a one win conference team.

The 2002 Air Force loss was worsened by Pat Durr losing his ACL on a chip block by an AF OL.

Larry Johnson was a force of nature that season. And Iowa finished #8 and ran it up (F them).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT