ADVERTISEMENT

Nazereth QB JJ McCarthy

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...arthy-nazareth-recruiting-20190509-story.html

McCarthy is 16, just a sophomore, but everything gets accelerated when you are the nation’s No. 2-ranked pro-style quarterback (with wheels), carry a 3.97 GPA and are viewed as hockey-tough.

Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Purdue offered scholarships. Northwestern, Ohio State and Penn State joined in later. He holds 33 offers and might end the suspense as early as this weekend.

Michigan is perceived to be in the lead for McCarthy, who will visit Ann Arbor this weekend.

We'll see about that.

McCarthy said when he feels at home on a visit, he will commit. No hat dances, no hype videos.

“He’s different,” says his father, Jim. “He sees the hat ceremonies and says: I’m not into that. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. There will be only one hat.”

Seems like JJ would fit in perfectly w/ the 'Cats.

3. He loves what Northwestern has built.

Asked which coaches have left an impression, he begins with Pat Fitzgerald, saying: “He is such a cool guy, such a family man and has been awesome, especially to my mom and dad. He is trying to build a powerhouse, which I love. I love his staff and his players, and it’s going to be an exciting year for them.”

6. He was born at Evanston Hospital.

“We have a definite affinity with the Wildcats,” Jim McCarthy says. “My wife’s parents are from Evanston. We remember watching Coach Fitz play, and how he has developed that program is amazing. From an educational standpoint and winning the Big Ten West without five-star kids … hello. And now the facilities are some of the best in the country.”

One observer compares McCarthy’s talents to those of Dan Persa, the dual-threat Northwestern quarterback who holds the Big Ten single-season record for completion percentage (73.5 in 2010).

Seems like it could be btwn NU and UM; AA and JJ would make for one heck of a QB battle.

Landing JJ could really put the afterburners on IL recruiting for the program.

Not implausible that Nazareth frosh receiver, Tyler Morris, will end up at the same school as JJ.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-tyler-morris-nazareth-20190509-story.html

Morris carries a 3.8 GPA and said academics are “more important than football. Without grades, my parents wouldn’t let me play. My mom is always checking my grades. She’s a social worker at an elementary school.”

Morris visited Northwestern in March and raved about the program’s new lakefront facilities, calling them “amazing.”

This might be the earliest Northwestern has ever extended a scholarship offer, with coaches having gone back to grade school to research Morris’ academic performance.

As far as football skills, Racki said Morris “can fly.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...arthy-nazareth-recruiting-20190509-story.html

We'll see about that.

Seems like it could be btwn NU and UM; AA and JJ would make for one heck of a QB battle.

Not implausible that Nazareth frosh receiver, Tyler Morris, will end up at the same school as JJ.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-tyler-morris-nazareth-20190509-story.html
After spending to much time reading all of those accolades in the two page article, I've come away expecting the reincarnation of Otto Graham. Sure a lot of fluff for a kid about to enter his Junior season.

Reactions: Titanium999
After spending to much time reading all of those accolades in the two page article, I've come away expecting the reincarnation of Otto Graham. Sure a lot of fluff for a kid about to enter his Junior season.
I'd really like to have seen Otto play and met him to see how he compares to JJ. Not sure he could be as nice or accurate.

Reactions: mikewebb68
A pity. If Harbag fails to beat dOSU this year once again, he could be gone and JJ could be left holding the bag.

Very sad. Super disappointed, especially losing a local talent to the type of coach Harbaugh is.

Like many of you, I am disappointed. However, QB is not a pressing need for the 2021 recruiting class and we have another option in that class who holds an offer and seems very high on the 'Cats. I think Atkinson is going to a good one.

QB is always a pressing need. Especially a local kid who seemed very willing to recruit other local kids.

Reactions: Bwm57
QB is always a pressing need. Especially a local kid who seemed very willing to recruit other local kids.
No worries, he'll be transferring to us in three years anyway when he tires of Michigan's nonsense. like so many QBs do. Remember, Harscum is the guy who allowed a QB to return to a game with an obvious concussion...

No worries, he'll be transferring to us in three years anyway when he tires of Michigan's nonsense. like so many QBs do. Remember, Harscum is the guy who allowed a QB to return to a game with an obvious concussion...

Harbaugh has never before been in the same place for more than four years. Just saying.

Reactions: mikewebb68
He may never make it to Michigan. harbaugh’s status there is so tenuous. If he doesn’t win the East with Meyer gone, this may end up being his last year at Michigan. We should certainly move on but it would not surprise me If JJ becomes available again.

He may never make it to Michigan. harbaugh’s status there is so tenuous. If he doesn’t win the East with Meyer gone, this may end up being his last year at Michigan. We should certainly move on but it would not surprise me If JJ becomes available again.
He seems enamored with big name programs. It was supposedly NU vs. Ohio State, but then when the Buckeyes took another QB in the class, Michigan came into the picture. If Harbaugh bails, maybe he looks elsewhere, but NU may not be an option if another QB has already taken the slot.

McCarthy is 16, just a sophomore, but everything gets accelerated when you are the nation’s No. 2-ranked pro-style quarterback (with wheels), carry a 3.97 GPA and are viewed as hockey-tough.

Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Purdue offered scholarships. Northwestern, Ohio State and Penn State joined in later. He holds 33 offers and might end the suspense as early as this weekend.

Michigan is perceived to be in the lead for McCarthy, who will visit Ann Arbor this weekend.

We'll see about that.

McCarthy said when he feels at home on a visit, he will commit. No hat dances, no hype videos.

“He’s different,” says his father, Jim. “He sees the hat ceremonies and says: I’m not into that. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. There will be only one hat.”

3. He loves what Northwestern has built.

Asked which coaches have left an impression, he begins with Pat Fitzgerald, saying: “He is such a cool guy, such a family man and has been awesome, especially to my mom and dad. He is trying to build a powerhouse, which I love. I love his staff and his players, and it’s going to be an exciting year for them.”

6. He was born at Evanston Hospital.

“We have a definite affinity with the Wildcats,” Jim McCarthy says. “My wife’s parents are from Evanston. We remember watching Coach Fitz play, and how he has developed that program is amazing. From an educational standpoint and winning the Big Ten West without five-star kids … hello. And now the facilities are some of the best in the country.”

One observer compares McCarthy’s talents to those of Dan Persa, the dual-threat Northwestern quarterback who holds the Big Ten single-season record for completion percentage (73.5 in 2010).

Morris carries a 3.8 GPA and said academics are “more important than football. Without grades, my parents wouldn’t let me play. My mom is always checking my grades. She’s a social worker at an elementary school.”

Morris visited Northwestern in March and raved about the program’s new lakefront facilities, calling them “amazing.”

This might be the earliest Northwestern has ever extended a scholarship offer, with coaches having gone back to grade school to research Morris’ academic performance.

As far as football skills, Racki said Morris “can fly.”
Although Northwestern was a consideration, I don’t think it was ever going to be NU unless spots were taken at the blue bloods he dreamed about.

First it was ND, then OSU and finally Michigan. We were top 5 at best.

I agree that we should recruit a QB each year and I value depth. But, do we really need the very top guys at QB each year? Experience shows that they do not stay. Unlike nearly every other position on the field, where rotations are currently employed, you can only play one QB. Top guys who are not starting are prone to transferring (see Hunter Johnson), leaving you with no depth. The year after recruiting a top QB like Atkinson, we might be better taking a project that Mick can work with and develop and that we can hold on to. Remember, Atkinson is clearly the coaches' first choice among all the QBs available in the class of 2020. This year is the first year we secured our first choice at QB since we recruited Thorson. We should have Hunter for 2 or 3 years and then Aidan for another 3 or 4. Barring injuries, we are set for 6 years at QB. As I noted earlier, I'd love to have had him at NU, but we have much greater needs than another QB for 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
I agree that we should recruit a QB each year and I value depth. But, do we really need the very top guys at QB each year? Experience shows that they do not stay. Unlike nearly every other position on the field, where rotations are currently employed, you can only play one QB. Top guys who are not starting are prone to transferring (see Hunter Johnson), leaving you with no depth. The year after recruiting a top QB like Atkinson, we might be better taking a project that Mick can work with and develop and that we can hold on to. Remember, Atkinson is clearly the coaches' first choice among all the QBs available in the class of 2019. This year is the first year we secured our first choice at QB since we recruited Thorson. We should have Hunter for 2 or 3 years and then Aidan for another 3 or 4. Barring injuries, we are set for 6 years at QB.
You never pass on a talent like McCarthy. Even if you ending up losing one of two very good QB’s at some point. You know you have a stud.

Reactions: Bwm57
I agree that we should recruit a QB each year and I value depth. But, do we really need the very top guys at QB each year? Experience shows that they do not stay. Unlike nearly every other position on the field, where rotations are currently employed, you can only play one QB. Top guys who are not starting are prone to transferring (see Hunter Johnson), leaving you with no depth. The year after recruiting a top QB like Atkinson, we might be better taking a project that Mick can work with and develop and that we can hold on to. Remember, Atkinson is clearly the coaches' first choice among all the QBs available in the class of 2019. This year is the first year we secured our first choice at QB since we recruited Thorson. We should have Hunter for 2 or 3 years and then Aidan for another 3 or 4. Barring injuries, we are set for 6 years at QB.

No. Just... no.

Reactions: WaveJumper

Didn't you say you know the family and he wouldn't buy into Harbaugh's BS?

And why does that bother you?

Because you literally bitched about a kid getting attention for his football skills in a news paper, when you also sit in a message board to talk about kids' football skills

Hypocrite much?

I agree that we should recruit a QB each year and I value depth. But, do we really need the very top guys at QB each year? Experience shows that they do not stay. Unlike nearly every other position on the field, where rotations are currently employed, you can only play one QB. Top guys who are not starting are prone to transferring (see Hunter Johnson), leaving you with no depth. The year after recruiting a top QB like Atkinson, we might be better taking a project that Mick can work with and develop and that we can hold on to. Remember, Atkinson is clearly the coaches' first choice among all the QBs available in the class of 2020. This year is the first year we secured our first choice at QB since we recruited Thorson. We should have Hunter for 2 or 3 years and then Aidan for another 3 or 4. Barring injuries, we are set for 6 years at QB. As I noted earlier, I'd love to have had him at NU, but we have much greater needs than another QB for 2021.

This is a really bad take.

Did Clemson say, “well, we have Hunter Johnson, so do we really need Trevor Lawrence? Maybe we’re better off with a project who can develop.” No, and that’s why they are what they are now.

I want the best players we can get at each position every year. Period.

I am sad to have missed on McCarthy but his signing day is still a long way off, so we’ll see.

Reactions: WaveJumper
If the decision between UM and NU was really as close as the Tribune article suggested, then I still hold out hope that JJ eventually plays for the Cats.

So much can change between now and his signing day. And even if he signs with UM, we’ve learned from the HJ transfer and the transfer portal that these signings are no longer completely binding and the possibility he plays for the purple remains until he exhausts his NCAA eligibility.

"I want the best players we can get at each position every year. Period." We do not disagree - I do too. But we do not "need" them. Perhaps it would be ideal to have an 85 man roster composed entirely of guys with 20+ offers and 5* ratings; but it is hardly necessary. I am trying to put the decision of a potential 2021 QB recruit in context. I am not gnashing my teeth over the loss of a QB for 2021 because we have two seemingly very good QBs already in our system with lots of eligibility left. Perhaps unlike some others, I do not look at recruiting as an end in itself, a game in which people keep score and somebody wins while others lose. Rather, recruiting is merely one of several means to putting a winning team on the field. While the "results" of any recruiting class are unknowns for several years, I truly believe we can win for the next SIX YEARS with Johnson and Atkinson. We have some big needs in certain areas if we are going to continue to improve, but QB is not one of them.

Last edited:
"I want the best players we can get at each position every year. Period." We do not disagree - I do too. But we do not "need" them. Perhaps it would be ideal to have an 85 man roster composed entirely of guys with 20+ offers and 5* ratings; but it is hardly necessary. I am trying to put the decision of a potential 2021 QB recruit in context. I am not gnashing my teeth over the loss of a QB for 2021 because we have two seemingly very good QBs already in our system with lots of eligibility left. Perhaps unlike some others, I do not look at recruiting as an end in itself, a game in which people keep score and somebody wins while others lose. Rather, recruiting is merely one of several means to putting a winning team on the field. While the "results" of any recruiting class are unknowns for several years, I truly believe we can win for the next SIX YEARS with Johnson and Atkinson. We have some big needs in certain areas if we are going to continue to improve, but QB is not one of them.

We can win for the next six years IF Johnson and Atkinson both live up to expectations and IF neither gets injured. You always want quality depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT