ADVERTISEMENT

Nazereth QB JJ McCarthy

We can win for the next six years IF Johnson and Atkinson both live up to expectations and IF neither gets injured. You always want quality depth.
I understand, but my point is that it is hard, in today's environment, to keep 4* QBs as backups. They leave!; in which case you have nothing. Depth might sometimes be better created by holding on to and developing lesser recruited guys for three years and having them ready if your #1 guy goes down. Sure, JJ would have been a nice pickup for recruiting buzz and momentum, but somebody would very likely have left at some point.

I understand, but my point is that it is hard, in today's environment, to keep 4* QBs as backups. They leave! Depth is sometimes better created by holding on to and developing less recruited guys for three years and having them ready if your #1 guy goes down.

No. Just no.

Didn't you say you know the family and he wouldn't buy into Harbaugh's BS?

Nope. I don’t know the family, I know people who know the family. Never said anything about Harbaugh. I said he wanted to stay close to home and that academics were important. Apparently Michigan fits that criteria. If Harbaugh ends up departing before he gets there, which I think is likely, then I think the recruiting process opens back up.

Denny’s reports that both son and dad love the new QB coach in Ann Arbor. Not sure what happens with Harbaugh over the next few years, and the impact on JJ’s decision but the uptick in recruiting traction and momentum is excellent. Keep winning on the field and bringing in NU character players and we will continue to close the gap on these storied programs.

Takes a special and unusually mature teenager to pass on the easy choice of joining a blue blood and becoming a program changer at a place like NU - especially if you are a top 10 recruit at your position... frankly I’m not sure any of us could truly say that we would have turned down a chance to be a star at a storied program if we had the opportunity when we were 18...

Nope. I don’t know the family, I know people who know the family. Never said anything about Harbaugh. I said he wanted to stay close to home and that academics were important. Apparently Michigan fits that criteria. If Harbaugh ends up departing before he gets there, which I think is likely, then I think the recruiting process opens back up.

Not to say he'll end up an NU because I think the 2021 QB spot will be taken sooner than later, but I do agree with you that Harbaugh bounces before McCarthy steps foot on a college field, causing him to reopen his recruitment

That's the worst part about this to me IMO

Not to say he'll end up an NU because I think the 2021 QB spot will be taken sooner than later, but I do agree with you that Harbaugh bounces before McCarthy steps foot on a college field, causing him to reopen his recruitment

I don’t see NU getting a commitment from a 2021 QB commitment anytime soon. My guess is that that spot will still be open when the 2019 football regular season is completed.

It's possible JJ made this decision about more than the head coach and that he is bright enough to consider the pros and cons of committing to UM. Good luck to him except when he plays us.

It's possible JJ made this decision about more than the head coach and that he is bright enough to consider the pros and cons of committing to UM. Good luck to him except when he plays us.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that a recruit like JJ will revisit his decision if the staff changes over before he enrolls.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that a recruit like JJ will revisit his decision if the staff changes over before he enrolls.
Losing him isn’t all that surprising. Specifically mentioned playing in front of 110,000. He’ll get just over a quarter of that at NU. Hardballs implodes and he decommits, doubt he comes to NU.

Still think we get a good option at QB, but the worse part is watching McCarthy recruit others to play for that jackass and his jackass staff of condescending jerks.

Reactions: hdhntr1
The reason you take JJ McCarthy is really very simple. He is a generational talent and in my opinion, the best high school QB to come out of the state of Illinois - EVER. That list includes Chuck Long, Clayton Thorson and anybody else you want to mention. If you can, you recruit like Dabo Swinney - you always recruit over your current roster - always!

The reason you take JJ McCarthy is really very simple. He is a generational talent and in my opinion, the best high school QB to come out of the state of Illinois - EVER. That list includes Chuck Long, Clayton Thorson and anybody else you want to mention. If you can, you recruit like Dabo Swinney - you always recruit over your current roster - always!
Imagine the reaction and criticism you would take from some for this opinion if NU got McCarthy. The “this forum thinks ever NU recruit is the best player on the planet” would be very interesting. BTW, I don’t go back further than Long, but as a HS QB prospect I would agree.

I understand, but my point is that it is hard, in today's environment, to keep 4* QBs as backups. They leave!; in which case you have nothing. Depth might sometimes be better created by holding on to and developing lesser recruited guys for three years and having them ready if your #1 guy goes down. Sure, JJ would have been a nice pickup for recruiting buzz and momentum, but somebody would very likely have left at some point.
The real advantage lost with JJ not coming here is that he is tied into the entire Chicago area and would have had us as destination for a number of other top guys

He may never make it to Michigan. harbaugh’s status there is so tenuous. If he doesn’t win the East with Meyer gone, this may end up being his last year at Michigan. We should certainly move on but it would not surprise me If JJ becomes available again.
Haven't we had bad luck with players who "become available again?"

I wonder if John Beilein unexpectedly leaving Michigan will increase the uncertainty with Harbaugh?

I wonder if John Beilein unexpectedly leaving Michigan will increase the uncertainty with Harbaugh?

Don't think so. In his interview today, Beilein cited the ongoing FBI scandal overshadowing college hoops as well as the new NBA draft rules as the two reasons he was open to the pros. Nothing but love for Michigan as a school.

Reactions: Bwm57
Although Northwestern was a consideration, I don’t think it was ever going to be NU unless spots were taken at the blue bloods he dreamed about.

First it was ND, then OSU and finally Michigan. We were top 5 at best.

Yeah, it seemed that way w/ JJ talking about wanting to check all the boxes, including things like playing in front of big crowds and playing for a national championship.

While it stinks, the 'Cats should be in very good hands w/ AA; and would be sweet if, nonetheless, can land Morris (Morris, Yaseen, Hooper and Kirtz would make for one-heck of a WR corp on the field at the same time).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT