ADVERTISEMENT

New Daily Herald article on Fitz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players know dogs. Hence, the term “eaters and shitters” that was allegedly used. Being part of a team where you either don’t put forth the effort or somehow undermine team success is not going to endear you to your teammates. This ostracism happens on most teams from HS to the pro’s. I would doubt this dynamic ever changes.
This is probably the most accurate statement in this thread. You sir, have played, and you know. Many here have not, and don't. If you're on a team, and you're a shitter, your teammates will, in one way or another, adjust your attitude.

"The former University of Tulsa athletic director is said to be eyeballing the open slot at the University of Washington. "

Said by whom?

Gragg has also reportedly been denied the opportunity to hire a search firm to find a permanent replacement for Fitzgerald. Since mid-July, David Braun has been Northwestern's interim coach.

Reported by whom?

Is this a high school newspaper?

Yeah … most of us have been here long enough to remember when Jim O’Donnell was widely regarded as a buffoon.

Oh, please. They never had to hire him for that position in the first place. But then when the basically forced him out days later, the information that they made sure got out and that he had to leave NU. Tell me how any college program hires him under those circumstances. Again no due process but his career was destroyed
The information was already out by the time he was hired, that’s sort of what the problem was. And yes, they never had to and shouldn’t have hired him in the first place given the cheerleader allegations that were known. Thanks to Phillips, Morty, and Pat Ryan for that debacle.

Brilliant. Let’s ignore the fact the school’s own report concluded no evidence exists that FItz knew, which implies your witnesses don’t exist. Assuming they did exist, why would NU want to give the players’ lawyers more ammunition for their lawsuits and in so doing increase the schools potential liability exponentially? What a genius you are. Oh and by the way, [REDACTED]
I suppose it’s time to give Braun a ten year $50MM extension cuz he may not win but he runs the cleanest program that encourages the HC to remains eyes tight shut.

• Haha
Reactions: KappaKat
If Fitz thought he had sufficient measures in place (as detailed by Hank), then he didn't lie.

What additional measures do you believe Fitz should have had in place?
Enough to stop it and justify $5MM/yr. His on field results didn’t justify it.

Ok, but why would we then take statements from the whistleblower as factual? The collaborator is the ultimate odd ball. The Daily was eager to get the story out, screw waiting to get more information. Forget about talking to enough current players to get their story.

O’Donnell lives in the same town as me. He has hardly been supportive of NU throughout his career. He has been plenty critical. However, even if he isn’t my cup of tea, he has had a long professional career. He has sources, plenty of them and don’t think he typically throws crap against the wall to see what sticks. I find him way more credible than most of the accusers!
are there not multiple lawsuits from multiple players with the same allegations?

Reactions: phatcat
Please detail the who, what, when and how of these “runnings”? Please tell us how it makes any sense that when given the opportunity to leave such a horrific culture after the HC was fired, a grand total of 1 player ( been here 1 year) that had been on the team split? Please enlighten me to how some of the most competitive Alpha males on campus allow their teammates junk to be bounced off there cheekbones without some major resistance? Please tell why we had not even of a single player in 17 years reporting these actions to the HC? Please tell me why the fired HC has the support of the current staff, current players , families of the current players, and the vast majority of former players and staff that participated in the program?

I could go on and the point is we all can play this game. I sure you have answers for these questions because you are going to believe what you want to believe. I have opinions on your questions but ultimately pretty much everyone has an initial stand. I doubt anything changes unless more “actual” evidence comes out. How about we just focus on the season at hand until new details are uncovered?
PF is the ultimate Alpha male. And those plaintiffs are alpha males. And I, for one, want discovery (to be leaked) and a public trial. I hope those alpha males want their day in court. So that we will have answers to these very curious questions.

Enough to stop it and justify $5MM/yr. His on field results didn’t justify it.
On-field results are not evidence that he knew about hazing.

If it's about on-field performance, then buy out his contract.

Don't stab people in the back.

320, I think I made my position known ad nauseam, so I won’t repeat that detail.

Yes, I believe “something” happened. The disconnect might be what was forced participation and what is the definition of hazing. I struggle mightily to jump to the conclusion that players were held down against their will and had other players d*cks smashed all over their bodies. I also have issues that team leaders would allow this to happen when the victims were obviously in distress. Doesn’t make any sense to me. I certainly could see guys thinking the car wash was funny and set up some type of blockage to exit. Stupid and should be punished. I don’t see that as sexual assault. So in short, I agree that there likely were stupid acts perpetrated on players that weren’t popular in the room. There should be some ramifications against the perpetrators. However, to say the HC must have known or even should have known is what will ultimately be disproved. Hazing is defined differently by people. Singing the fight song, drinking a shot, carrying equipment, bringing donuts to your teammates are all technically hazing, although I think most of us would have little problems with that. I think the egregious nature of the claims by the accusers are WAY overblown and presented in a manner to ruin careers or line pockets. There are no winners here!
The school and the state define hazing so that’s not something needing clarity.

I use horseplay becaue hazing is a meaningless word. Requiring freshman to put on a skit is hazing. Is that a fireable offense? Again, just put the pitchfork away.
I think the school and the state have defined hazing…

You are correct, I didn’t use the word bully. There are over 100 players as part of the team, many more in support roles. There are going to be all types of personalities and facts are some will invariably clash. My experience was players didn’t necessarily have to hang out will every player but they respected the individual as someone that had the same challenges and similar experiences thar they did. However, if that player was viewed as not giving out the effort to succeed they quickly became ostracized. Players know dogs. Hence, the term “eaters and shitters” that was allegedly used. Being part of a team where you either don’t put forth the effort or somehow undermine team success is not going to endear you to your teammates. This ostracism happens on most teams from HS to the pro’s. I would doubt this dynamic ever changes.

Yes, I take Fitz at his word. Why wouldn’t I? I also believe the players that say he wouldn’t allow such nonsense had he known. I also weigh in the fact that not one accuser has present a modicum of evidence proving Fitz knew. Do you take the accusers at their word? A couple which have either been caught lying about other things or bragging about bringing the program down? Not to hard for me to figure out who is more credible to start with.
What player has said if PF knew, he wouldn’t let it happen?

it is highly improbable that freshmen managers knew about running and Fitz did not. I cannot prove he knew, and nobody has explicitly said they told him about it, but it remains highly improbable for him to not know. There is not one accuser. There are dozens of accusers with overlapping and similar stories, and nobody in the program in the last decade who has denied it happened.

Fitz could have said “I did not know but I should have known”, or he could have said “I didn’t realize it was harming someone and I should have realized”, but he chose a highly improbable argument that absolutely he did not know. That’s tough to believe. He should have known that there were players being harmed, because he promised to take care of those players.

I’m not on the Rock but I’d welcome a snippet sent via PM 😉
5 million reasons to know each season because wins weren’t the priority, Clean program was

I think the school and the state have defined hazing…
They do and it is extremely broad. It would cover forced skits (Hard Knocks shows this every year) that falls under the definition of hazing. Pretty much forcing someone to do something they would rather not do is considered hazing. There are degrees to this which is why the word hazing doesn’t mean anything.

Forcing someone to sing the fight song in front of the team is hazing (but not troubling in my book). Forcing someone to participate in activities while naked, also hazing (and very troubling). Got it?

If and when the school settles with the students, the school would admit no fault and everything would be wrapped up in an airtight NDA. There would be no determination as to whether hazing happened, or if the school slandered Fitz. A settlement is just a private agreement not to further litigate the matter. If it doesn’t go to trial, there is no determination on the merits or the facts that Fitz could use in his trial.
Which is why the alpha males will struggle to settle. PF settles and folks will say the school paid to silence and he’s guilty. He a major alpha, only way to clear his name is a trial of admission by the school.

Any lawyer worth his salt will tell their client how unpredictable trials can be, especially one that is sure to involve a lot of publicity like this one. It's why the vast majority of cases settle before trial. I'd sure hope for his sake that Fitz's very expensive lawyer isn't telling him "F it, what do you have to lose?"
Alpha male

This is probably the most accurate statement in this thread. You sir, have played, and you know. Many here have not, and don't. If you're on a team, and you're a shitter, your teammates will, in one way or another, adjust your attitude.
I have played, not at college. I have play college D1 scholarship in three different sports. And I think your take is wrong.

The fraternity hazing was worse than any sport hazing. In sports, my lasting memories are having each others back for better or worse - run through walls, sun rises in the west, we are one loyalty.

I was never a revenue sport scholarship athlete at a major school, but even in rugby world, that hazing was more physical brute violence than sexual weirdness.

I have played, not at college. I have play college D1 scholarship in three different sports. And I think your take is wrong.

The fraternity hazing was worse than any sport hazing. In sports, my lasting memories are having each others back for better or worse - run through walls, sun rises in the west, we are one loyalty.

I was never a revenue sport scholarship athlete at a major school, but even in rugby world, that hazing was more physical brute violence than sexual weirdness.
Welcome back Bob. Just get back from a scuba trip?

So, let me ask you a question Bob. What would you have done if your teammates ( think the biggest badest people around) bounced their junk off your cheekbones? You are a tough guy, doubting you submit to this without fighting to the death. Now, do you think there would be ANY of your teammates in these three D1 squads that would have allowed this to happen to them without that same fight?

You said hazing was much worse in the frats and I agree. My experience is there wasn’t a single guy I knew in my 4 years in college Athletics that would have allowed that to happen. I knew some very docile athletes to boot, hardly “Alpha” types like most football players. Not happening.

So, let me ask you a question Bob. What would you have done if your teammates ( think the biggest badest people around) bounced their junk off your cheekbones? You are a tough guy, doubting you submit to this without fighting to the death. Now, do you think there would be ANY of your teammates in these three D1 squads that would have allowed this to happen to them without that same fight?

You said hazing was much worse in the frats and I agree. My experience is there wasn’t a single guy I knew in my 4 years in college Athletics that would have allowed that to happen. I knew some very docile athletes to boot, hardly “Alpha” types like most football players. Not happening.
I think you are saying it didn't happen. That the accusers are lying

Your use of ‘alpha’ is pretty cringe, first of all. Secondly, even if the entire football team is full of ‘alphas’ as you proclaim, there will be those on the team who are comparatively less ‘alpha’ than others on the team, even if they are more ‘alpha’ when compared to the general population.

You know who else would be considered ‘alpha’ under your definition? Violent criminals. Yet, violent criminals get violated in prison all the time by other criminals more psychopathic than they are.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The horror, someone questions the stories for validity before condemning a man.
As it is nearly impossible to keep up with all posts here, please say what your position is. I don't mean fire Gagg and Shill. People on both sides if the issue agree that they shat the bed. I mean 1. They were hazed but it is harmless? 2. It didn’t happen? 3.Joe oops Fitz didn't know? 4. They are lying? 5. Something else?

They do and it is extremely broad. It would cover forced skits (Hard Knocks shows this every year) that falls under the definition of hazing. Pretty much forcing someone to do something they would rather not do is considered hazing. There are degrees to this which is why the word hazing doesn’t mean anything.

Forcing someone to sing the fight song in front of the team is hazing (but not troubling in my book). Forcing someone to participate in activities while naked, also hazing (and very troubling). Got it?
If it’s overly broad, then the remedy is attacking the law or rule not breaking it. PF did not have to work in IL nor NU but in choosing to do so he is bound by their existing definitions of hazing.

If it’s overly broad, then the remedy is attacking the law or rule not breaking it. PF did not have to work in IL nor NU but in choosing to do so he is bound by their existing definitions of hazing.
I’m not sure what point you are making. Hazing goes on everywhere (including televised on Hard Knocks). A better term is required (maybe malicious hazing?) to describe what was alleged in daily article

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Regarding the State of Illinois and the definition of hazing...
It is broad, but it requires bodily harm. Not mental. Not emotional. BODILY harm.

(720 ILCS 5/12C-50)
Sec. 12C-50. Hazing.
(a) A person commits hazing when he or she knowingly requires the performance of any act by a student or other person in a school, college, university, or other educational institution of this State, for the purpose of induction or admission into any group, organization, or society associated or connected with that institution, if:
(1) the act is not sanctioned or authorized by that educational institution;
and (2) the act results in bodily harm to any person.​

Interesting question. (No scuba - leave for three weeks in Asia soon though). I think the answer is different for 50 yr old Bob compared 18-21 yr old Bob, especially freshman Bob.

If I wanted to be part of this team, a chance to fall in line with upperclassmen, not sure I wouldn’t have submitted. If this was a right of passage and happening uniformly to the rest of the incoming class…

Pretty sure if I felt isolated, I would have become combative and or left the program. But if I felt part of the team, that I might be a regular player, I’m getting a full ride (and whatever someone is whispering in my ear like my pledge father did during rush), I can’t say I would lash out.

Maybe you can. Maybe I would. But I honestly am not sure.

Reactions: KappaKat
I’m not sure what point you are making. Hazing goes on everywhere (including televised on Hard Knocks). A better term is required (maybe malicious hazing?) to describe what was alleged in daily article
Doesn’t matter of it goes on everywhere. If it’s against the law, against the school rules then it is what it is. There’s no exceptions - not in the jurisprudence, not in the code. So let’s stop with the ‘not really bad hazing’ routine.

As the $5MM/yr employee to run a clean program, it was PF’s major responsibility to ensure HIS program that HE oversaw did not run afoul of the law or the school rules.

Again, if you think the law / rule is bad, the remedy for you or PF would be to work to change it or go work somewhere else. Breaking the rule and then saying it’s a bad rule is a losing position.

Regarding the State of Illinois and the definition of hazing...
It is broad, but it requires bodily harm. Not mental. Not emotional. BODILY harm.

(720 ILCS 5/12C-50)
Sec. 12C-50. Hazing.
(a) A person commits hazing when he or she knowingly requires the performance of any act by a student or other person in a school, college, university, or other educational institution of this State, for the purpose of induction or admission into any group, organization, or society associated or connected with that institution, if:
(1) the act is not sanctioned or authorized by that educational institution;
and (2) the act results in bodily harm to any person.​
Ok - so it would seem no law was broken. What’s the university definition?

Ok - so it would seem no law was broken. What’s the university definition?
IGNORE2:

I just put that definition up to make it clear that in Illinois what (allegedly) happened at NU was not criminal hazing.

The university has an incredibly broad definition. When I first read it, my reaction was...

1) Well this is ridiculous - obviously targeting the fraternities.
2) I can see why the fraternities either disbanded or moved off campus.
3) It gives the university enormous leeway in punishing students for casual misbehavior (like being mean to someone) if it occurs in a club or group meeting or activity.
4) It doesn't apply to varsity athletic teams because the players don't control who is on the team.
5) It is so broad that it probably wouldn't be enforceable in a court of law.

Here's the definition... I added the bold font to some of the text.

Hazing is defined as any action taken or situation created, intentionally or unintentionally, whether on or off University premises and whether presented as optional or required, to produce: mental, physical, or emotional discomfort; servitude; degradation; embarrassment; harassment; or ridicule for the purpose of initiation into, affiliation with, or admission to, or as a condition for continued membership in a group, team, or other organization, regardless of an individual’s willingness to participate.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Just a feeling. Particularly the fact that the candidates were leaked to the press, a show of due diligence. I definitely never learned who else was considered a few weeks before Gragg was announced.

Teddy G was an excellent pawn for Fitzy and Phillips.
Eh. Don’t know about this. Teddy was particularly harsh at least social media on Fitz and part of the misguided rush to judgement.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
O’Donnell lost his sh*t on this board once. Weird meltdown thing, though I forget the context. It was around the time where Coble left the basketball program. Some point shortly thereafter, he was no longer with the Sun-Times. (I hope someone else remembers this and it wasn’t just a weird, vivid dream that sticks with me 15 years later.)

I’m not sure what you don’t find credible about the accusers. Literally nobody has denied that running happen.

I’m not sure we’ve seen corroboration of the ‘Shrek clap’, but Runsmas was real and made many people uncomfortable and at least one who chose not to participate was less part of the team because of it and nobody ever stopped it because it was simply part of the Good Clean American Fun culture.

It was a Fitz blind spot, not because he was blind to it happening, but because he didn’t think it was a big deal.
Runsmas is my kid’s favorite holiday!

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
IGNORE2:

I just put that definition up to make it clear that in Illinois what (allegedly) happened at NU was not criminal hazing.

The university has an incredibly broad definition. When I first read it, my reaction was...

1) Well this is ridiculous - obviously targeting the fraternities.
2) I can see why the fraternities either disbanded or moved off campus.
3) It gives the university enormous leeway in punishing students for casual misbehavior (like being mean to someone) if it occurs in a club or group meeting or activity.
4) It doesn't apply to varsity athletic teams because the players don't control who is on the team.
5) It is so broad that it probably wouldn't be enforceable in a court of law.

Here's the definition... I added the bold font to some of the text.

Hazing is defined as any action taken or situation created, intentionally or unintentionally, whether on or off University premises and whether presented as optional or required, to produce: mental, physical, or emotional discomfort; servitude; degradation; embarrassment; harassment; or ridicule for the purpose of initiation into, affiliation with, or admission to, or as a condition for continued membership in a group, team, or other organization, regardless of an individual’s willingness to participate.
The proper approach is negotiate w school to change rule in contract negotiations or abide by the rules. 5 million reasons to abide by the rules

Eh. Don’t know about this. Teddy was particularly harsh at least social media on Fitz and part of the misguided rush to judgement.
Teddy G is no longer reliant on the NU athletic department as a source, so he doesn’t have to be such a toady. I think he left the Trib to cover gambling ~2 years ago.

Doesn’t matter of it goes on everywhere. If it’s against the law, against the school rules then it is what it is. There’s no exceptions - not in the jurisprudence, not in the code. So let’s stop with the ‘not really bad hazing’ routine.

As the $5MM/yr employee to run a clean program, it was PF’s major responsibility to ensure HIS program that HE oversaw did not run afoul of the law or the school rules.

Again, if you think the law / rule is bad, the remedy for you or PF would be to work to change it or go work somewhere else. Breaking the rule and then saying it’s a bad rule is a losing position.
Ok, so requiring freshman to sing the fight song is a fireable offense? It meets Illinois definition. Sounds reasonable…..

Your use of ‘alpha’ is pretty cringe, first of all. Secondly, even if the entire football team is full of ‘alphas’ as you proclaim, there will be those on the team who are comparatively less ‘alpha’ than others on the team, even if they are more ‘alpha’ when compared to the general population.

You know who else would be considered ‘alpha’ under your definition? Violent criminals. Yet, violent criminals get violated in prison all the time by other criminals more psychopathic than they are.
Don’t be silly. In fact, I said in a previous post that this isn’t like a prison. It’s a stupid comparison meant to discredit my question to others that have been in a D1 locker room if they felt it was at all likely this situation of junk bouncing could have happened year after year. My experience says no way no how! Fighting back in a football locker is in no way shape or form the same as it is in a prison with violent criminals and you know that. Again, my question is, do people believe players were restrained by other players and sexually violated due to some type of sick tradition that players carried on year and year?

Reactions: corbi296
As it is nearly impossible to keep up with all posts here, please say what your position is. I don't mean fire Gagg and Shill. People on both sides if the issue agree that they shat the bed. I mean 1. They were hazed but it is harmless? 2. It didn’t happen? 3.Joe oops Fitz didn't know? 4. They are lying? 5. Something else?
Read post #55. I am not reiterating a position that I have stated for 90 days or so now.

Read post #55. I am not reiterating a position that I have stated for 90 days or so now.
Your general position is that running — Purge masks, darkened shower area, veteran player d*cks hitting multiple parts of inexperienced player bodies — couldn’t possibly have happened.

No tough football player in a new environment on a new campus among new veterans at a new level of completion would ever let d*cks swing at their face, regardless of what multiple former players have said in lawsuits.

By holding this opinion, you are basically declaring every source that has done original reporting — ESPN, The Athletic, and that’s about it — to have inadequate fact checking capabilities and to have relied on a series of conspiratorially dishonest sources.

It’s fine that your choosing this belief, but there’s a minuscule chance that the facts of the situation bear this out.

Aside:
In looking back at the ‘may have erred’ release and the firing release (the two-week suspension release has been removed from NU’s site), it’s interesting that the word ‘sexualized’ or ‘degrading’ didn’t appear until the firing.

I wonder if Schill didn’t know or if they tried to bury that salient detail. (Removing those words certainly led to the ‘nothing to see here’ response to many on the board. ‘Probably some skits, have a great weekend!’)

Ok, so requiring freshman to sing the fight song is a fireable offense? It meets Illinois definition. Sounds reasonable…..
If you, or PF, don’t like the rule, change the rule. PF voluntarily accepted a very high paying contract to uphold the rules of the university. Nobody made him do it. He could have walked away, picked a school or organization w a more palatable rule, tried to use his leverage in negotiations to change the rule.

Cannot take the money, sign the deal and say rule shouldn’t apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT