ADVERTISEMENT

New red shirt rule

NCRNU71

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2001
With the change in red shirt rules, I have two questions:

--Would this be retroactive? Would someone that only played in 4 games last year get an extra year?

--Does this only apply to freshmen? Could a senior this year who did not take a red shirt year earlier play in the first three games and then have an injury which prevented him from playing until the last game (only playing four games total) get an extra year without applying for a medical exemption? Under the previous rules, playing in a game after the first 25% of the season would disqualify him from a medical exemption.

--Would this be retroactive? Would someone that only played in 4 games last year get an extra year?

--Does this only apply to freshmen? Could a senior this year who did not take a red shirt year earlier play in the first three games and then have an injury which prevented him from playing until the last game (only playing four games total) get an extra year without applying for a medical exemption? Under the previous rules, playing in a game after the first 25% of the season would disqualify him from a medical exemption.
Interesting question. Seems to me that unless the rule states that the begins with players who matriculate in 2018, guys who have not yet used their redshirt year, would be eligible. In that case, guys who played as freshman could play just four games and call it a redshirt.

The answer to your first question is almost certainly no. I also think the answer to number two is no but I am not certain on that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT