ADVERTISEMENT

New Wildside leadership

Medill '03

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2001
I saw on social media an announcement about the 2024 leadership of the Wildside. They listed about eight students. They were all given the chance to name their top one or two NU sports. Almost all of them chose basketball. Only one listed football. Almost all of their favorite memories were basketball games. Changing of the guard on campus! Fitz was a fixture on campus among students, especially as an alum. It's going to be a painful rebuild, but Braun's off to a good start. And I hope the lakefront will be a unique experience for the couple of games the students can attend.

This can't be overly surprising. I assume we're talking juniors/seniors/5th years. They experienced a 4-20 record in Fitz's last two season including a winless home slate in 2022 which included a loss to Southern IL. Doubt there were many favorite moments in that season LOL.

This can't be overly surprising. I assume we're talking juniors/seniors/5th years. They experienced a 4-20 record in Fitz's last two season including a winless home slate in 2022 which included a loss to Southern IL. Doubt there were many favorite moments in that season LOL.
Definitely not surprising. Shows how a football school can quickly become a basketball school.

Back-to-back NCAA bids with two great teams and lots of big wins will transform things for students quickly.

Football has been rough the past couple of years outside 2020 and 2023 so it's understandable.

Hopefully Braun can get us to a more consistent situation and stabilize things.

And I think the on-campus stadium will help for the games we have it.

Yes but last year they had a come from 21 down in forth quarter win. One would think that might be something. Of course they also had the couple wins over PU in BB so...

Definitely not surprising. Shows how a football school can quickly become a basketball school.
Basketball is objectively a much more fun sport to watch, play, and cheer for than football.

But, personally, I would rather watch paint dry than watch a soccer game for 90 minutes.

It will be much easier for NU to field a consistent winner in basketball than football too.

Yes but last year they had a come from 21 down in forth quarter win. One would think that might be something. Of course they also had the couple wins over PU in BB so...
I don't recall many students sticking around for the end of that Minnesota game.

I saw on social media an announcement about the 2024 leadership of the Wildside. They listed about eight students. They were all given the chance to name their top one or two NU sports. Almost all of them chose basketball. Only one listed football. Almost all of their favorite memories were basketball games. Changing of the guard on campus! Fitz was a fixture on campus among students, especially as an alum. It's going to be a painful rebuild, but Braun's off to a good start. And I hope the lakefront will be a unique experience for the couple of games the students can attend.
To be fair for those students, they likely think of NU football as a program that went 4-20 and surprised everyone squeezing into a minor bowl game last year. Hoops finished 2nd and 3rd in the conference and is bordering on perennial tourney expectations. Games are sold out and there is a lottery system where tickets are gone in the first 20 seconds. It’s unlike anything any of us experienced. We are expected to maybe get to another bowl game this year in football. Let’s face it. We are a hoops school these days according to these kids.

To be fair for those students, they likely think of NU football as a program that went 4-20 and surprised everyone squeezing into a minor bowl game last year. Hoops finished 2nd and 3rd in the conference and is bordering on perennial tourney expectations. Games are sold out and there is a lottery system where tickets are gone in the first 20 seconds. It’s unlike anything any of us experienced. We are expected to maybe get to another bowl game this year in football. Let’s face it. We are a hoops school these days according to these kids.
Yes, that's exactly my point. For decades we've thought it must be easier to win in basketball instead of football, and yet we were inexplicably bad at basketball. We also thought it would be easier to fill a basketball arena with students for a true-home court advantage, when even half our undergrad population at a football game makes little difference. Well, seems like that switch has now come true! Hopefully the lakefront will give the students a memorable experience with some fun wins these next two years, and then the'll enjoy a more intimate, world-class experience at the new Ryan Field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT