ADVERTISEMENT

Newsome has played in exactly 4 games

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
If he’s cleared to play, though still not 100%, do you play him and burn the shirt? I’d think so, but I admittedly am not as adept at seeing the dropoff between him and the other corners as others around here.

Reactions: zeek55
Yup. This is the biggest game we've played in 20+ years. If he can help, he plays.

Agreed...I think this is a no brainer. Much more of a conundrum to me would be the bowl game. Chances are he'll be 100% in a month. Is it worth burning the shirt in order to win a bowl game vs. having that 5th year? I'd lean towards holding him out of the bowl.

Agreed...I think this is a no brainer. Much more of a conundrum to me would be the bowl game. Chances are he'll be 100% in a month. Is it worth burning the shirt in order to win a bowl game vs. having that 5th year? I'd lean towards holding him out of the bowl.
Even if he sits this weekend, he’s gotta play in the Rose Bowl.

Gee, then I guess it's no longer important for NU to win a bowl game. Why Coral why?

Gee, then I guess it's no longer important for NU to win a bowl game. Why Coral why?
Winning conference championship >>> bowl win.

If another year of a more physically mature and experienced Newsome is the payback for holding him out of a mid-tier bowl when other good players (Hartage, Trae, Ruiz, RoCamp, Mayo) are available, I'm for it.

Keep in mind that Newsome should be penciled in as a 4-year starter at the CB. He's probably the heir apparent to Hartage as our lockdown, all conference corner. He's got that type of talent. Another year of him is gold--much more valuable than 5 games as a dinged up first year.

Last edited:
You burn shirts to win the Big Ten championship or Rose Bowl.

Those are the kinds of trophies you throw everything at the game to win.

If he's needed to win, he'll play.

Any other bowl, keep the redshirt.

Interesting divergence of opinions here. Question : would a top tier program burn his shirt if he could help to win a key game? IMO, absolutely. A factor in the decision would be that this program would sustainably recruit competitive talent at each position, i.e., next year’s class— or at least the following year’s class— would likely have a replacement arriving.

I'm sure the Nationals wish they had started Stephen Strasburg against the Cardinals in the NLDS.

I'm usually on the wait-for-year-5 train, but in this case, the moment is now IF he's 100%. If he's not, different story. Who knows when/if we get this chance again during Newsome's time here, or if he even ends up staying 5 years if he's as good as we all think and hope.

I'm sure Newsome himself is champing at the bit to get out there too.

You play him keep your DB’s as fresh as possible. Rotate them early and often to match dOSU speed.

This!

Interesting divergence of opinions here. Question : would a top tier program burn his shirt if he could help to win a key game? IMO, absolutely. A factor in the decision would be that this program would sustainably recruit competitive talent at each position, i.e., next year’s class— or at least the following year’s class— would likely have a replacement arriving.

I think if we looked back, we would see we had the same conversations about Bowser before the Rutgers game. Granted that game wasn't nearly as important as this one, but I'll be consistent in my opinion: Screw 2022! If we can win the Big Ten now, we play every single person who can help us achieve that goal. I don't want Newsome as a "break glass in case of emergency" guy on Saturday. I want him out there proving he's no freshman and breaking up passes meant for K.J. Hill and Parris Campbell.

By 2022, when we wish we had fifth-year Newsome, we'll be a Big Ten juggernaut with four- and five-star defensive backs ready to replace him, and he'll be headed to the NFL.

Reactions: zeek55 and NUCat320
I'm sure the Nationals wish they had started Stephen Strasburg against the Cardinals in the NLDS.

I'm usually on the wait-for-year-5 train, but in this case, the moment is now IF he's 100%. If he's not, different story. Who knows when/if we get this chance again during Newsome's time here, or if he even ends up staying 5 years if he's as good as we all think and hope.

'champing' at the bit! hats off to you, sir

If he’s cleared to play, though still not 100%, do you play him and burn the shirt? I’d think so, but I admittedly am not as adept at seeing the dropoff between him and the other corners as others around here.

I don't think he plays. He was named practice squad player of the week last week. If he is practicing, he is healthy. I believe that the decision has already been made that he will not see any more action this year.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I don't think he plays. He was named practice squad player of the week last week. If he is practicing, he is healthy. I believe that the decision has already been made that he will not see any more action this year.
Really? When was the last time NU played in the conference championship game? Guess you could ask Fitz. EVERYBODY PLAYS!

Really? When was the last time NU played in the conference championship game? Guess you could ask Fitz. EVERYBODY PLAYS!

Disagree. Why would you having him practicing with the scout team if he was going to suit up? I would love to see him out there but I think that decision has already been made - unless Fitz was yanking the media's chain on Monday.

Disagree. Why would you having him practicing with the scout team if he was going to suit up? I would love to see him out there but I think that decision has already been made - unless Fitz was yanking the media's chain on Monday.

“Scout team” and “practice player” are not the same.

If he is not 100% but is still one of the top two at his position, you play him. As long as he is number three and one and two are not injured, you wait til the next 4 years.

I hope you are right .The prior week, Hunter Johnson was practice player of the week. I don't think he sees the field on Saturday...

I hope you are right .The prior week, Hunter Johnson was practice player of the week. I don't think he sees the field on Saturday...
Johnson can't play by rule... not the same as a potential burning of Newsome's redshirt which can happen.

I used to be a wait for year 5 guy, but a succession of amazing first year players cured me of it

Reactions: zeek55
I used to be a wait for year 5 guy, but a succession of amazing first year players cured me of it
Yeah, the new redshirt rule throws a wrench back into that equation.

I'm with you though; in a situation like ours where we're expecting a big recruiting boost the next couple of years, especially if we can make the "leap" to regular championship contender, there's no real reason to hold back on burning redshirts unless they're specifically for units where the extra year of physical development is required.

Luckily nobody on this board is involved in the decision. I'm confident Fitz will do what he thinks give us the best chance of winning.

If he is not 100% but is still one of the top two at his position, you play him. As long as he is number three and one and two are not injured, you wait til the next 4 years.

Sure. But the point is it is very difficult to draw those lines with absolute precision.

If he’s healthy and can help, you play him.
Besides, if he’s as good as hoped for he won’t be at NU for a fifth year anyway.

Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT