ADVERTISEMENT

Next week is the real test...

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
Let's agree and accept that this is a down season. It happens. We've come off of three successful seasons, and a program like ours is bound to be cyclical since we don't necessarily have the guns to reload year after year. We lost our four-year starting QB who made it to the NFL and we've seen a variety of position coaching changes. And any way you slice it, this stretch of games has been absolutely brutal, including Nebraska in Lincoln, which is a difficult place to win regardless of how the team itself is doing overall. Objectively, you wouldn't expect another team with these circumstances to be doing a whole lot better.

Which brings us to the second half of the season. Homecoming to be exact, against a team that we have historically played very well, regardless of whether they were rebuilding themselves or if they were a Top 5 team. This, to me, is the litmus test for the whole season. We are six games in, we know what we have (and what we don't), and we know that Fitz will bring the best he has against Iowa.

As a frustrated fan, I don't necessarily need a win next Saturday. Iowa is a very tough team, and it would be unfair to consider a loss a total failure on the part of the coaches and players.

I just need to see signs of life.

I need to see us play hard and be in it for all four quarters. If we are, then it gives me hope for a team with a softer second-half schedule that traditionally does very well in late Oct/early Nov to hang in there and finish strong.

If not, then it tells me we need to pray for 4-8, hope for 3-9, but prepare for 2-10.

Let's agree and accept that this is a down season. It happens. We've come off of three successful seasons, and a program like ours is bound to be cyclical since we don't necessarily have the guns to reload year after year. We lost our four-year starting QB who made it to the NFL and we've seen a variety of position coaching changes. And any way you slice it, this stretch of games has been absolutely brutal, including Nebraska in Lincoln, which is a difficult place to win regardless of how the team itself is doing overall. Objectively, you wouldn't expect another team with these circumstances to be doing a whole lot better.

Which brings us to the second half of the season. Homecoming to be exact, against a team that we have historically played very well, regardless of whether they were rebuilding themselves or if they were a Top 5 team. This, to me, is the litmus test for the whole season. We are six games in, we know what we have (and what we don't), and we know that Fitz will bring the best he has against Iowa.

As a frustrated fan, I don't necessarily need a win next Saturday. Iowa is a very tough team, and it would be unfair to consider a loss a total failure on the part of the coaches and players.

I need to see us play hard and be in it for all four quarters. If we are, then it gives me hope for a team with a softer second-half schedule that traditionally does very well in late Oct/early Nov to hang in there and finish strong.

If not, then it tells me we need to pray for 4-8, hope for 3-9, but prepare for 2-10.

We have a 2nd bye week?

Erik

Who knows, but it is looking like like 2-10. If somehow it is 3-9, will we consider that a success and that we can magically believe our offense will be B1G caliber next year? If somehow Hunter comes to the fore and we win a couple games big, does that mean the offense is solved? I don't think so.

Iowa game should be the point where we turn the season around...or crawl into a hole to hibernate for the rest of the season. We have a good track record for turning it around recently- so I am hoping we can play a lot better now. Even if HJ was well, I wouldn't have risked getting him hurt vs osu. We need a good, healthy qb for the last 7 games of the season!

Reactions: drewjin
This, to me, is the litmus test for the whole season. We are six games in, we know what we have (and what we don't), and we know that Fitz will bring the best he has against Iowa.
I agree with everything you have said.....so they went into the season with a plan...it has not worked, now they have to adjust , if possible. But man I just do not know how that will happen. My guess is that they, 1. Just pound the run a ton more now that Bowser is healthy..2. Try and get the hands in the more dynamic players like they did with McGowan last week. 3. We crack open the Aint PLayed Yet box and look at some of the true freshman receivers.
Seems like on of Fitzs faults is he always thinks the plan is good we just need to execute better....not always true...sometimes you nee to try something or someone different....He is a stubborn son of a gun..

Iowa game should be the point where we turn the season around...or crawl into a hole to hibernate for the rest of the season. We have a good track record for turning it around recently- so I am hoping we can play a lot better now. Even if HJ was well, I wouldn't have risked getting him hurt vs osu. We need a good, healthy qb for the last 7 games of the season!
7???

I agree with everything you have said.....so they went into the season with a plan...it has not worked, now they have to adjust , if possible. But man I just do not know how that will happen. My guess is that they, 1. Just pound the run a ton more now that Bowser is healthy..2. Try and get the hands in the more dynamic players like they did with McGowan last week. 3. We crack open the Aint PLayed Yet box and look at some of the true freshman receivers.
Seems like on of Fitzs faults is he always thinks the plan is good we just need to execute better....not always true...sometimes you nee to try something or someone different....He is a stubborn son of a gun..
Seem to remember that at the top of the recruiting class were two "can't miss" receivers. Don't remember seeing them so far. Have they played at all? Hurt?

For a delightful, short excursion (est. 15 to 55 minutes) we recommend a hike on the Wildcat Pass Trail.

Follow the trail down the gentle slope of Northwestern’s season, making sure to enjoy the scenic view of Nevada at the mid-point marker.

After a steady decline, you will find yourself at the lip of ‘Buckeye Hole.’ This classic impact crater is almost perfectly round, and nearly twelve weeks across.

Buckeye Hole was formed when an enormous woody fruit from outer space— two and a half miles long and one and a half a miles wide — screamed down through the atmosphere, punching the earth’s crust like an opposing player and forming this impressive geological feature.

Though the public is prohibited from hiking down to the crater floor, much can still be seen from the rim.

On a sunny day, keep an eye out for the reflection of tiny bright spots scattered throughout the depression. (Look carefully, as they can be easy to miss, when presented with such an awesome sight.)

These shiny rocks were formed under the powerful forces of the strike, when carbon atoms were compressed into diamonds in the rough. Other elements fused into a variety of minerals seen only at impact craters and nuclear test sites, under the mighty stress (such as runblockinite, goodpassinite, etc.)

It is thought that, over time, productive use can be made of these rare minerals.

After a pause to enjoy the sight of the crater, you have several trails to choose from for your hike back to the parking area and season’s end, each a steep uphill climb. Many hikers favor “Staff Change Switchback.” (Caution, this can sometimes turn your return hike into a seven year journey.)

We recommend the “Bust Yer Butt” trail. You will find yourself crawling, at times, as certain portions are incredibly steep. Still, the effort is worth it, in our opinion. There are other, easier trails, but few so full of dramatic interest.

Last edited:
For a delightful, short excursion (est. 15 to 55 minutes) we recommend a hike on the Wildcat Pass Trail.

Follow the trail down the gentle slope of Northwestern’s season, making sure to enjoy the scenic view of Nevada at the mid-point marker.

After a fifteen minute decline, you will find yourself at the lip of ‘Buckeye Hole.’ This classic impact crater is almost perfectly round, and nearly twelve weeks across.

Buckeye Hole was formed when an enormous woody fruit from outer space— two and a half miles long and one and a half a miles wide — screamed down through the atmosphere, punching the earth’s crust like a player it didn’t like and forming this impressive geological feature.

Though the public is prohibited from hiking down to the crater floor, much can still be seen from the rim.

On a sunny day, keep an eye out for the reflection of tiny bright spots scattered throughout the depression. (Look carefully, as they can be easy to miss, when presented with such an awesome sight.)

These shiny minerals were formed under the powerful forces of the strike, when carbon atoms were compressed into diamonds in the rough. Other elements fused into a variety of minerals seen only at impact craters and nuclear test sites, under the mighty stress of the impact: (runblockinite, goodpassinite, etc.)

It is thought that, over time, productive use can be made of these rare minerals.

After a pause to enjoy the sight of the crater, you have several trails to choose from for your hike back to the parking area and season’s end, each a steep uphill climb. Many hikers favor “Staff Change Switchback.” (Caution, this can sometimes turn your return hike into a seven year journey.)

We recommend the “Bust Yer Butt” trail. You will find yourself crawling, at times, as certain portions are incredibly steep. Still, the effort is worth it, in our opinion. There are other, easier trails, but few so full of dramatic interest.
I hiked that trail way back in 2002. It was right before that trip I took up into the Rawah Wilderness, where I got into trouble but was rescued by Football Phil.

Reactions: nugnrfan82

We ain't losing to Illinois!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT