ADVERTISEMENT

Next week's opponent

I’m an Indiana fan who absolutely LOVES coach Fitz. And I cheer for NW to win a ton of games every year. But I have a feeling that Indiana is going to try to make a statement next week in prime time at home.

On the flip side. Our defense is bad. They’ll give your offense some signs of life.

I’m an Indiana fan who absolutely LOVES coach Fitz. And I cheer for NW to win a ton of games every year. But I have a feeling that Indiana is going to try to make a statement next week in prime time at home.

On the flip side. Our defense is bad. They’ll give your offense some signs of life.
Our offense is already dead. What you are describing would be the reanimation of dead tissue.

Indiana played with a second string QB and moved the ball at-will down the field. Granted it was an experienced second stringer, but pay close attention next week to the play calling. They actually had Nebby reeling and off balance with things that obviously weren’t prepared for.

Indiana may have an average to poor defense and NU won’t challenge them with anything new. If fees like another 20 point game.

Indiana played with a second string QB and moved the ball at-will down the field. Granted it was an experienced second stringer, but pay close attention next week to the play calling. They actually had Nebby reeling and off balance with things that obviously weren’t prepared for.

Indiana may have an average to poor defense and NU won’t challenge them with anything new. If fees like another 20 point game.
"Things they obviously weren't prepared for?" that's no way to run an offense.

Reactions: benoitdenizetl
Does anybody know if Penix will be healthy enough to play next week? Ramsay is certainly solid, but this Penix kid, when he's on, can be electric.

Reactions: Bwm57
It doesn't matter which quarterback Indiana plays next week if we play the way we've been playing we will lose again by 15 or 20 points

Statement game for Hoosiers next week get ready for the perfect storm of tall,sure handed,fast receivers able quarterbacks and coaching that isn't afraid to use them.

Does anybody know if Penix will be healthy enough to play next week? Ramsay is certainly solid, but this Penix kid, when he's on, can be electric.

He warmed up yesterday and seemed fine. I think they just gave him another week to get to 100%. I think he will play. We’re fine either way because Ramsey is really good too. You guys would be a bowl team with Ramsey as your QB. He reminds me of all those NW QBs like Persa, Kafka, Baz, Simien, etc.

One touchdown, and we are done. Pretty demoralizing for a defense.

He warmed up yesterday and seemed fine. I think they just gave him another week to get to 100%. I think he will play. We’re fine either way because Ramsey is really good too. You guys would be a bowl team with Ramsey as your QB. He reminds me of all those NW QBs like Persa, Kafka, Baz, Simien, etc.
Allen seems to have Indiana focused. I don’t see a let down. NU might score this game but don’t see a scenario where they score enough to spring an upset.

Not apples to apples

Iowa faced QB Patrick Ramsey last year in Bloomington. He is an experienced QB compared to the missing starter, who won the job in 2019 for IU.

Northwestern is 3 out of 5 against Iowa. Iowa's two wins were against Wildcat teams with young QBs starting.

May say something.

Illinois has a fifth year starter, though a transfer.

Purdue is struggling with a first year starter, as is Nebraska.

Wisconsin and Minnesota each have a QB in their second year starting.

Ramsey wanted to come to NU. It was his dream school. I talked to Bates about recruiting him.

Did he visit? I know he was on the NU radar.
I would think that McCall saw both Ramsey and Smith live.
It appears by his Rivals that he was never invited for a visit to NU. He and my son had a special day at IU. He was the only offensive recruit and my son was the only defensive recruit that day. I knew them before that day because his father coaches here in Cincinnati. His father and I talked quite a bit that day. Ramsey comes from a great family. I really like his father. His father is a great coach that does everything by the book. He was never offered by NU. I gave Bates several players who wanted to commit to NU. I gave him a kicker who wanted a walk on, who is on scholarship and starting for a power five team, I gave him a lineman who is starting on a top B1G team, I gave him a wide receiver who is tearing it up on a D1 team, and many others. This area is a good area to recruit and IMG had a few really good players with good grades that wanted to come to NU.

It appears by his Rivals that he was never invited for a visit to NU. He and my son had a special day at IU. He was the only offensive recruit and my son was the only defensive recruit that day. I knew them before that day because his father coaches here in Cincinnati. His father and I talked quite a bit that day. Ramsey comes from a great family. I really like his father. His father is a great coach that does everything by the book. He was never offered by NU. I gave Bates several players who wanted to commit to NU. I gave him a kicker who wanted a walk on, who is on scholarship and starting for a power five team, I gave him a lineman who is starting on a top B1G team, I gave him a wide receiver who is tearing it up on a D1 team, and many others. This area is a good area to recruit and IMG had a few really good players with good grades that wanted to come to NU.

Did Bates ever communicate to you why they were not offered? You said it wasn’t grades right? I would think he would at least tell you they think another guy is a better fit, but maybe that is obvious.

We took Smith after losing our top choices. I was hoping McCall at least saw both throw in HS at some point. Ramsey has P5 offers, if you told Bates this and we never got I live look that would be concerning. Ramsey isn’t all B1G, but he is proving to be a P5 QB. Since NU was in scramble mode after losing the first QB in that class to decommit I sure hope they did their due diligence.

Did Bates ever communicate to you why they were not offered? You said it wasn’t grades right? I would think he would at least tell you they think another guy is a better fit, but maybe that is obvious.

We took Smith after losing our top choices. I was hoping McCall at least saw both throw in HS at some point. Ramsey has P5 offers, if you told Bates this and we never got I live look that would be concerning. Ramsey isn’t all B1G, but he is proving to be a P5 QB. Since NU was in scramble mode after losing the first QB in that class to decommit I sure hope they did their due diligence.
Bates was Bates.

Bates was Bates.
Part of his job is to get the best guys possible. I hate the stories about guys that wanted to come to NU that we seem to put on them on pay me no mind list. Seeing both and picking the wrong guy happens. Fine, but not seeing the guy live is inexcusable in the situation we were in. We aren’t talking about getting eyes on some kid that is second team all conference in the Mid-suburban league.

Part of his job is to get the best guys possible. I hate the stories about guys that wanted to come to NU that we seem to put on them on pay me no mind list. Seeing both and picking the wrong guy happens. Fine, but not seeing the guy live is inexcusable in the situation we were in. We aren’t talking about getting eyes on some kid that is second team all conference in the Mid-suburban league.
Ramsey is a high character kid too I thought he would be a great fit at NU. I should have gone to Fitz instead of Bates. Fitz I guarantee would have handled the recruits I brought differently. I have nothing but faith in Fitz and the staff he has now. This isn't a coaching problem, this is a problem with heart. These coaches can coach their butts off, but these young men have to want to win every battle every play. This is the same staff that went to four bowl games and won three straight. We also won the West. We are going to have a bad year, it happens. This staff will right the ship. They will play only players that work hard on and off the field regardless of star rankings. Fitz is and always will be the best coach for NU. I assure you nobody hates losing more than Fitz. He showed it as a player, he hasn't changed. Give the program a mulligan, things are going to change next year. It hurts me to see the year we are having because I love this staff and many of these players.

Ramsey is a high character kid too I thought he would be a great fit at NU. I should have gone to Fitz instead of Bates. Fitz I guarantee would have handled the recruits I brought differently. I have nothing but faith in Fitz and the staff he has now. This isn't a coaching problem, this is a problem with heart. These coaches can coach their butts off, but these young men have to want to win every battle every play. This is the same staff that went to four bowl games and won three straight. We also won the West. We are going to have a bad year, it happens. This staff will right the ship. They will play only players that work hard on and off the field regardless of star rankings. Fitz is and always will be the best coach for NU. I assure you nobody hates losing more than Fitz. He showed it as a player, he hasn't changed. Give the program a mulligan, things are going to change next year. It hurts me to see the year we are having because I love this staff and many of these players.

Indiana has slowly been building “Northwestern in Bloomington.” Similar culture. Similar style of offense. Similar type of recruits. I think it’s why Pat specifically mentioned Tom Allen and Indiana a while back during a press conference. He respects how there’re building.

Reactions: midwolfe
Indiana has slowly been building “Northwestern in Bloomington.” Similar culture. Similar style of offense. Similar type of recruits. I think it’s why Pat specifically mentioned Tom Allen and Indiana a while back during a press conference. He respects how there’re building.
Indiana offered my son as a Sophomore. I really liked the staff and the University. I have been friends with Indianas basketball strength coach for years and my son had their football strength coach at IMG. Indiana has a beautiful campus and are definitely building their program. When IU isn't playing NU, I cheer for them. Indiana is going to be a gut check for our team this year. Our defense will need to play well and we will need points. Coach Hanks is the best DC in the B1G and will have the right game plan, will our defense execute it? We are going to need some points from the offense. Our lineman need to win their individual battles. Our problems aren't coaching, it is the players not willing to fight every play to win individual battles without taking plays off. This is a game we can win, it is a game of who wants it more. I love our staff, none better. Our players need to show heart this weekend and come out and salvage this season. The team captains need to lead and push this team this week. I am thinking of traveling to Bloomington to cheer on my Cats. I am still a bit off from the gamma knife on my brain tumor. But it is important to me that these players see I still love them and believe in them. This game is very important, we need it.

Last edited:
Indiana offered my son as a Sophomore. I really liked the staff and the University. I have been friends with Indianas basketball strength coach for years and my son had their football strength coach at IMG. Indiana has a beautiful campus and are definitely building their program. When IU isn't playing NU, I cheer for them. Indiana is going to be a gut check for our team this year. Our defense will need to play well and we will need points. Coach Hanks is the best DC in the B1G and will have the right game plan, will our defense execute it? We are going to need some points from the offense. Our lineman need to win their individual battles. Our problems aren't coaching, it is the players not willing to fight every play to win individual battles without taking plays off. This is a game we can win, it is a game of who wants it more. I love our staff, none better. Our players need to show heart this weekend and come out and salvage this season. The team captains need to lead and push this team this week. I am thinking of traveling to Bloomington to cheer on my Cats. I am still a bit off from the gamma knife on my brain tumor. But it is important to me that these players see I still love them and believe in them. This game is very important, we need it.

A) good to hear you're still able to travel !
B) where did your son end up?

Here's hoping for a safe, fairly refereed, hard fought game.

An INDIANA fan.

A) good to hear you're still able to travel !
B) where did your son end up?

Here's hoping for a safe, fairly refereed, hard fought game.

An INDIANA fan.
My son ended up at Northwestern. He tore his left labrum his Senior year at IMG Academy. He was to start his Redshirt Freshman year but tore it at Caml again. Then this last year he was going to get play time when released by the doctors and tore it in practice. He medically retired this year. He will graduate in March. He has been on the Dean's List since becoming a Wildcat. I am good friends with Coach Inge. Inge is a great guy.

My son ended up at Northwestern. He tore his left labrum his Senior year at IMG Academy. He was to start his Redshirt Freshman year but tore it at Caml again. Then this last year he was going to get play time when released by the doctors and tore it in practice. He medically retired this year. He will graduate in March. He has been on the Dean's List since becoming a Wildcat.

Sorry to hear of his medical issues but he's certainly coming away with a fine education!

Here's hoping for the Best for you and your family!

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear of his medical issues but he's certainly coming away with a fine education!

Thanks for the reply.
You and the many like you are the reason I will always be a Hoosier fan. Much appreciated my friend. I have friends who play for Indiana and Inge is as good a man as I know. Be safe.

Reactions: 76-1

Thanks for the reply.
IU dressed their mannequins in his jersey number and had a nice cookout to celebrate his offer. They did everything first class

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1

I think it could be an interesting game. But this is the best Indiana team in ages. And the worst NW team in ages. I do have a ton of respect for NWs defense. The back 7 is legit.

Indiana has a good offense, but they gave up 31 points to Nebraska. Interesting, they overcame a 14-3 deficit on road.

Interestingly Indiana has the 26th best defense in the country which is surprising

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT