ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year’s Defense

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
With Thompson, Hall, and Hartage all out before kickoff, yesterday’s defense was a pretty good proxy for 2019. With the exception of McGee and Mayo, that was pretty much the same set of guys who will line up against Stanford to open the 2019 season.

Particularly excited about how the defensive front performed. Seemed to take a while to firm up run lanes in Thompson’s absence, but the front four were able to generate decent pressure on Shelley much of the game. Shelley was able to escape early due to his athleticism, but Gaz and Brown were harassing him pretty well much of the game (see two forced fumbles). Have yet to rewatch, but I recall seeing Saunders running around out there pretty well a couple times. Bergin was also rotating with McGee at Sam pretty early on.

All in all, yet another reason the Holiday Bowl is a good sign for the program now and into the future.

With Thompson, Hall, and Hartage all out before kickoff, yesterday’s defense was a pretty good proxy for 2019. With the exception of McGee and Mayo, that was pretty much the same set of guys who will line up against Stanford to open the 2019 season.

Particularly excited about how the defensive front performed. Seemed to take a while to firm up run lanes in Thompson’s absence, but the front four were able to generate decent pressure on Shelley much of the game. Shelley was able to escape early due to his athleticism, but Gaz and Brown were harassing him pretty well much of the game (see two forced fumbles). Have yet to rewatch, but I recall seeing Saunders running around out there pretty well a couple times. Bergin was also rotating with McGee at Sam pretty early on.

All in all, yet another reason the Holiday Bowl is a good sign for the program now and into the future.
Who would be the main competition with Bergin? That spot plus one DT and one CB, along with depth, are what I’ll be interested to see develop.

Reactions: zeek55
As Mr T would say, I pity the fool who catches it over the middle w Messrs Ruiz, Pace and Whillock back there, all of whom bring the wood

Who would be the main competition with Bergin? That spot plus one DT and one CB, along with depth, are what I’ll be interested to see develop.

Bergin is a baller. The kid just flat out makes plays. He was the second leading tackler vs Utah, while splitting time with McGee. People worry about his size, but as long as he keeps making plays, it don't matter.

I would guess guys like Mann, Rivers, maybe even Bryce Gallagher, will get looks, but I would put my money on Bergin starting against Stanford.

Reactions: zeek55 and corbi296
Bergin is a baller. The kid just flat out makes plays. He was the second leading tackler vs Utah, while splitting time with McGee. People worry about his size, but as long as he keeps making plays, it don't matter.

I would guess guys like Mann, Rivers, maybe even Bryce Gallagher, will get looks, but I would put my money on Bergin starting against Stanford.

I agree that Bergen is the likely starter based on his performance. He is solid. Rivers and Bryce Gallagher are likely his main competition. Depending on how big he is getting, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of McDonald sliding down to OLB from his current safety position.

Reactions: zeek55

Hunter on the sidelines will be our best news. better than CT!

I felt that after the strip six, we were going to wear them down and take control of the game physically. That is what happened. Either through superior conditioning, better adjustments, better effort or a combination, we took control on both sides of the line.

I felt that after the strip six, we were going to wear them down and take control of the game physically. That is what happened. Either through superior conditioning, better adjustments, better effort or a combination, we took control on both sides of the line.

The drive which led to the final points is evidence of that. Superb drive and Allowed the D to tee off more as the game went on.

I agree that Bergen is the likely starter based on his performance. He is solid. Rivers and Bryce Gallagher are likely his main competition. Depending on how big he is getting, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of McDonald sliding down to OLB from his current safety position.
NU seems to have some talent waiting in the wings at LB. I think Jones was hurt much of the season, Mann was a tackling machine in HS, and Rivers is supposed to be close to seeing the field. I am thinking there has to be growth with them understanding the whole playbook before they have a shot at passing Bergin. What is obvious about Bergin is he knows where he should be. He doesn’t make every tackle but he causes disruption. A real find for the staff at PWO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT