ADVERTISEMENT

Nice Trevor Siemian story

"In Siemian’s first season as a starter, he led the Broncos in 14 contests as he threw for 3,401 yards, 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He even earned a Pro Bowl nod as an alternate, but he had to turn it down due to a recent shoulder surgery."

What? He could have gone to the Pro Bowl? OK, so we have some people claiming we didn't make a mistake playing a WR ahead of a future Pro Bowl (alternate) QB. OK... let's move on...

"In Siemian’s first season as a starter, he led the Broncos in 14 contests as he threw for 3,401 yards, 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He even earned a Pro Bowl nod as an alternate, but he had to turn it down due to a recent shoulder surgery."

What? He could have gone to the Pro Bowl? OK, so we have some people claiming we didn't make a mistake playing a WR ahead of a future Pro Bowl (alternate) QB. OK... let's move on...
beating-a-dead-horse.png

Time for me to drag my dead horse over and commence the beating. Eric Croch, Tim Tebow, Charlie Ward (and there are dozens and dozens more) were all great college quarterbacks (much better than Trevor ... and Kain) that had no chance to succeed in the NFL. I am still taking them over Trevor to run NU's spread offense in 2012 and 2013 with the offensive line that Trevor and Kain had and given Trevor's state of development at the time. Hell, there's a pretty good chance that Deshaun Watson won't be a successful NFL quarterback. He was the best quarterback in college, though. And it's not like Trevor always tore it up when he had the chance (understanding that there were many mitigating factors for his inconsistent performances). After the Ohio State game in 2013, Trevor took almost all of the snaps against Wisconsin and went 13-34 for 163 yards with no touchdown passes. The following week against Minnesota, he took all the snaps and went 25-46 for 234 yards with 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions in a loss. Those stats can get you benched even if you have the potential to be a good NFL quarterback in 3 or 4 years. If NU ran a pro style offense and had a good offensive line with good receivers, Trevor is absolutely the man. If NU ran a spread offense with mediocre receivers and a frequently porous offensive line, maybe you alternate the quarterbacks.

Time for me to drag my dead horse over and commence the beating. Eric Croch, Tim Tebow, Charlie Ward (and there are dozens and dozens more) were all great college quarterbacks (much better than Trevor ... and Kain) that had no chance to succeed in the NFL. I am still taking them over Trevor to run NU's spread offense in 2012 and 2013 with the offensive line that Trevor and Kain had and given Trevor's state of development at the time. Hell, there's a pretty good chance that Deshaun Watson won't be a successful NFL quarterback. He was the best quarterback in college, though. And it's not like Trevor always tore it up when he had the chance (understanding that there were many mitigating factors for his inconsistent performances). After the Ohio State game in 2013, Trevor took almost all of the snaps against Wisconsin and went 13-34 for 163 yards with no touchdown passes. The following week against Minnesota, he took all the snaps and went 25-46 for 234 yards with 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions in a loss. Those stats can get you benched even if you have the potential to be a good NFL quarterback in 3 or 4 years. If NU ran a pro style offense and had a good offensive line with good receivers, Trevor is absolutely the man. If NU ran a spread offense with mediocre receivers and a frequently porous offensive line, maybe you alternate the quarterbacks.
Thankfully, somebody gets it. Wasn't it telling that when we went on endlessly in the thread about who was the greatest NU quarterback of all time, Trevor did not get a single mention. Kain was a much better qb at the college level with the same receivers and the same offensive line.

Reactions: julescat
Thankfully, somebody gets it. Wasn't it telling that when we went on endlessly in the thread about who was the greatest NU quarterback of all time, Trevor did not get a single mention. Kain was a much better qb at the college level with the same receivers and the same offensive line.
I'm not even saying that. I thought they both had their flaws and I understood why they used both (although I wish they had been a little more creative in the play calling at times for both of them). I was trying to point out that lots of great college quarterbacks had no chance to play quarterback in the NFL. It doesn't mean they should't have played it in college.

I'll say this, though...it's been impressive to see and compare Trevor's performances in games versus 1st-round draft picks and other opposing B1G QB's like Connor Cook. Trevor looked much better than many of these guys. He'll be a legit starting QB with more experience and a better OL in the future

I'm not even saying that. I thought they both had their flaws and I understood why they used both (although I wish they had been a little more creative in the play calling at times for both of them). I was trying to point out that lots of great college quarterbacks had no chance to play quarterback in the NFL. It doesn't mean they should't have played it in college.
Look no further than our obnoxious brothers in Ohio: Braxton Miller, Troy Smith, and even Terelle Pryor (at QB), for that matter.

Did you guys notice who wrote this story? None other than former WildcatReport writer and editor Aric DiLalla, who is now working for the Broncos.

I thought the name was familiar.

Did you guys notice who wrote this story? None other than former WildcatReport writer and editor Aric DiLalla, who is now working for the Broncos.

You trained him well, Lou!

Glades, that link isn't working for me...

Quotes from the Broncos coach:

About TS and Lynch:

''So, moving forward, we're satisfied with those two young kids, and fixing the offensive line and running the football better and protecting the passer better is a must to help those two young guys play better.'' (Bold is added by GlideCat)

About TS:

Joseph said he trusts Siemian will be ready for non-contact OTAs next month - the four-month mark - but noted this spring is all about both QBs learning Mike McCoy's system before competing in earnest for the starting job in training camp.

Siemian went 8-6 and threw for 3,400 yards with 18 TDs and 10 interceptions, statistics all the more impressive, Joseph said, when you consider he played most of the season with a severely damaged shoulder.

''Watching Trevor last year, I was really impressed. Again, he's a winner. He played with a horrific shoulder injury that most guys wouldn't play with,'' Joseph said.

About Lynch:

Lynch went 1-1 last year and showed he was far from polished as he adjusts from the spread offense he ran at Memphis to the pro-style system and its requisite footwork, quick reads and intricate playbook.

Joseph demurred when asked if that raw-but-talented Lynch is ready to supplant the savvy-and-strong Siemian.

''Obviously, he's got great skills. He's a tall man with a big arm. Is he ready? That's a tough question,'' Joseph said. ''... It's going to be an open competition and whoever wins the job, that's who's going to play. That's as fair as it can be.''

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/broncos-coach-likes-2-qbs-184711690--nfl.html

Quotes from the Broncos coach:

About TS and Lynch:

''So, moving forward, we're satisfied with those two young kids, and fixing the offensive line and running the football better and protecting the passer better is a must to help those two young guys play better.'' (Bold is added by GlideCat)

About TS:

Joseph said he trusts Siemian will be ready for non-contact OTAs next month - the four-month mark - but noted this spring is all about both QBs learning Mike McCoy's system before competing in earnest for the starting job in training camp.

Siemian went 8-6 and threw for 3,400 yards with 18 TDs and 10 interceptions, statistics all the more impressive, Joseph said, when you consider he played most of the season with a severely damaged shoulder.

''Watching Trevor last year, I was really impressed. Again, he's a winner. He played with a horrific shoulder injury that most guys wouldn't play with,'' Joseph said.

About Lynch:

Lynch went 1-1 last year and showed he was far from polished as he adjusts from the spread offense he ran at Memphis to the pro-style system and its requisite footwork, quick reads and intricate playbook.

Joseph demurred when asked if that raw-but-talented Lynch is ready to supplant the savvy-and-strong Siemian.

''Obviously, he's got great skills. He's a tall man with a big arm. Is he ready? That's a tough question,'' Joseph said. ''... It's going to be an open competition and whoever wins the job, that's who's going to play. That's as fair as it can be.''

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/broncos-coach-likes-2-qbs-184711690--nfl.html

I watched most of the Broncos games and Lynch seemed to be one of those great college QBs who just doesn't have the talent needed for the pro game. TS is just the opposite. He was an OK college QB, but our offense works best with a more mobile QB. If the Broncos improve the OL play TS could win a lot of game there. Denver does have a significant home field advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT