Styre

Oct 14, 2004

Last year's NET rating of each opponent:

Chicago State - 340 (Quad 4)
Northern Illinois - 297 (Quad 4)
Georgetown - 194 (Quad 3)
Purdue Fort Wayne - 235 (Quad 4)
Liberty - 118 (Quad 3)
Auburn - 13 (Quad 1) / Bradley - 102 (Quad 3)
Pitt - 193 (Quad 4)
Prairie View - 295 (Quad 4)
DePaul - 103 (Quad 3)
UIC - 283 (Quad 4)
Brown - 212 (Quad 4)

I was expecting this post soon, and it…met expectations.

I wonder if skipping the non-con entirely would be better for NU’s NET or KenPom or whatever.

Last year, NU would have been PVAMU’s 12th straight roadie to open the season. Looks like we’ll be about #9 this year.

Is this our first contest against the Mastadons of IPFW? (2nd. Blew ‘em out in 2006.)

What a waste of two months. Good only for padding the win total so that Collins can try to steal another year if we reach .500 overall.

Reactions: NUCat320
Funny to worry about rankings when this team will need a heroic effort to reach 6 B1G wins......
Yeah, we are just hoping to have a competitive Big Ten team at this point. Lotsa local matchups are a good thing (wish we'd include Loyola). All BIG teams help out the SWAC with a game, ESPN chose Pitt, which I don't like (How about Marquette???),Purdue-FW is a tourney game and we usually do an Ivy League team. I think this is an improvement on previous non-con schedules. This is not the year to schedule a bunch of heavyweights there. We'll have enough challenges in the Big Ten schedule (which is harder than last year's)

I was expecting this post soon, and it…met expectations.

I wonder if skipping the non-con entirely would be better for NU’s NET or KenPom or whatever.

Since we normally obliterate the bad teams on our schedule, those games do help our computer rankings because they drive up our efficiency ratings. The problem is that those games add nothing to a postseason resume. Which won't matter this year, of course.

Same reason.
I don't believe it. During Carmody's string of NIT seasons, Loyola was playing in neither the NIT nor the NCAA tournaments. NU was clearly the better team at that time.

NU hasn't played Loyola in decades, but this Loyola being elite thing has only applied during the last five years or so. Given the proximity of the two schools, it makes no sense to me that they have not played in all that time.

I don't believe it. During Carmody's string of NIT seasons, Loyola was playing in neither the NIT nor the NCAA tournaments. NU was clearly the better team at that time.

NU hasn't played Loyola in decades, but this Loyola being elite thing has only applied during the last five years or so. Given the proximity of the two schools, it makes no sense to me that they have not played in all that time.
It isn't that Loyola was considered elite that whole time.
Its that NU perceived no benefit and only downside from playing Loyola.

Whether that perception was accurate is a different matter, but NU has clearly been unwilling to schedule its Rogers Park neighbor.

It isn't that Loyola was considered elite that whole time.
Its that NU perceived no benefit and only downside from playing Loyola.

Whether that perception was accurate is a different matter, but NU has clearly been unwilling to schedule its Rogers Park neighbor.
But that wasn't the reason that Fitzphile gave.

If that really was NU's perception, then that perception was evidently shortsighted.

How many times did NU play Loyola under Carmody?
I thought there was a story about a Loyola assistant working Carmody’s camp at some point and implied he was extending an offer to a prospect that the NU staff was either high on, or involved with. Anyway, that rubbed Carmody the wrong way, and refused to schedule them. Or something like that…it had been a while since I heard the story, but that was the implication, I believe.

I thought there was a story about a Loyola assistant working Carmody’s camp at some point and implied he was extending an offer to a prospect that the NU staff was either high on, or involved with. Anyway, that rubbed Carmody the wrong way, and refused to schedule them. Or something like that…it had been a while since I heard the story, but that was the implication, I believe.

Yeah, I remember hearing about bad blood between the programs during that time. I can't imagine it's still there, though.

Loyola would undoubtedly command a home and home and we already have one with DePaul so that likely is a stumbling block.

Loyola would undoubtedly command a home and home and we already have one with DePaul so that likely is a stumbling block.
A home game against Loyola every other year doesn't seem so bad!

And the road game is "just over there."

I agree that a home and home with the Ramblers wouldn't be so bad, but scheduling for nonconference is a little tricky with only 11 games, a tourney, a SWAC date and an ACC Challenge appearance always in there (and maybe a Gavitt game as well). Also, will the BIG go to 22 games with UCLA, USC joining? I can see where they wouldn't want to box themselves in.

I agree that a home and home with the Ramblers wouldn't be so bad, but scheduling for nonconference is a little tricky with only 11 games, a tourney, a SWAC date and an ACC Challenge appearance always in there (and maybe a Gavitt game as well). Also, will the BIG go to 22 games with UCLA, USC joining? I can see where they wouldn't want to box themselves in.
Well, then just schedule a single home-and-home if we don't want to lock it in perpetually. Surely we can find room for a single home-and-home, which is much more than we've gotten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT