ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern vs. Nebraska Open Thread

Our OL is just killing us. Unbelievable how obvious our problems are and somehow they don't get fixed. I am getting fed up with this BS.
I keep waiting for you to drop out like that Mikero guy did last year. He said he was fed up with the apparent complacency with mediocrity (or something to that effect) and then walked away. He meant it, I guess.

I understand your frustration, but if you really think Fitz will make a coaching change now, you're going to be even further fed up.

Reactions: phatcat
Our WRs get zero separation on the crossing routes. Just no margin for error on those passes.

We are who we thought we'd be. It's not like we're going to overwhelm other B1G teams with superior talent. Did you really think we'd come into this game and dominate Nebraska?

No, I expected us to be in contention from the beginning of the season. We're getting worse, not better. By next season, we may be back at the level where I began following NU in 1991.

I keep waiting for you to drop out like that Mikero guy did last year. He said he was fed up with the apparent complacency with mediocrity (or something to that effect) and then walked away. He meant it, I guess.

I understand your frustration, but if you really think Fitz will make a coaching change now, you're going to be even further fed up.

Changes in the staff better happen at the end of this season or I am out. This is the epitome of mediocrity.what happened to the overachieving, always prepared, never say die team I used to root for?

Does anybody remember how we played in the bowl game against Auburn. It wasn't perfect but we played hard, we were creative, we were aggressive and we never gave up. Where is that team and coaching staff?

Last edited:
Reactions: BFDCat
Someone tell Michele at BTN Network that it is Illinois, not Illinoise. Geez!

Our K woes changed the complexion of the game.

100%. We would've been driving for the tying TD had he not missed the FG and PAT.

We could've been driving for the winning score if we could've kicked a FG before half instead of the no-confidence fake.

No, I expected us to be in contention from the beginning of the season. We're getting worse, not better. By next season, we may be back at the level where I began following NU in 1991.
Really? We won 10 games in 2012 and 2015, and only five in 2013 and 2014. I see an inconsistent team that usually plays hard but isn't going to dominate its opponents until it starts stocking the roster with four and five star recruits. Maybe that'll happen when the new facilities are in place, but probably not. Until then, we'll be competitive in most of our games and may even win some of them.

The sky is not falling, but we're not going to be "competing for championships". We're a middle of the pack Big Ten football team, the private school equivalent of Minnesota. Could be worse.

Changes in the staff better happen at the end of this season or I am out. This is the epitome of mediocrity.what happened to the overachieving, always prepared, never say die team I used to root for?
I agree with you. This is no longer an overachieving, gritty team. But they're not trainwreck-quality bad either. They're blah. It's not like USC, Notre Dame or Texas with a bunch of five star guys laying eggs. They're just.....mediocre.

Nothing will change

I think you underestimate the added pressure and expectations that come along with the new facilities. Those big donors made that investment to help this program go to the next level. They won't tolerate a losing season like the one we are headed for. I'd be shocked if staff changes are not forced on Fitz after the season.

Our K woes changed the complexion of the game.
Nebraska fumbling the ball twice at the goalline changed the complexion of the game. We gave up over 550 yards on defense. Frankly, we're lucky to have lost by only 11 points. Mitchell was bad, but he wasn't the reason we lost.

I agree with you. This is no longer an overachieving, gritty team. But they're not trainwreck-quality bad either. They're blah. It's not like USC, Notre Dame or Texas with a bunch of five star guys laying eggs. They're just.....mediocre.

This season has been a train wreck so far. I'd hate to see what your definition of train wreck is if this season does not qualify.

I think you underestimate the added pressure and expectations that come along with the new facilities. Those big donors made that investment to help this program go to the next level. They won't tolerate a losing season like the one we are headed for. I'd be shocked if staff changes are not forced on Fitz after the season.
OK I have an open offer for a wager of a cigar or a beer if Fits gets rid of more than one coach. So far I have two takers

Nebraska fumbling the ball twice at the goalline changed the complexion of the game. We gave up over 550 yards on defense. Frankly, we're lucky to have lost by only 11 points. Mitchell was bad, but he wasn't the reason we lost.

Nebraska sucks. Armstrong is a horrible QB who will be shut down by any decent defense. Armstrong does certain things well but when he is forced to move the ball by passing out of the pocket he is just horrible. Did you see how badly he overthrew Westerkamp in the end zone on THREE separate throws?

Does anybody remember how we played in the bowl game against Auburn. It wasn't perfect but we played hard, we were creative, we were aggressive and we never gave up. Where is that team and coaching staff?

I would kill for mediocrity right now. This is disgusting.

Nebraska sucks. Armstrong is a horrible QB who will be shut down by any decent defense. Armstrong does certain things well but when he is forced to move the ball by passing out of the pocket he is just horrible. Did you see how badly he overthrew Westerkamp in the end zone on THREE separate throws?

Totally agree. Great athlete. Terrible QB. He's a mess and always has been and we made him look like the second coming of Elway.

I've repeated that same thought process to a number of non-fans who think I'm crazy to say that Fitz isn't getting it. They assume the powers that be (read: contribute) worship him.

Surely you jest. He didn't lose us the game, but 4 points off the Board and a fake in lieu of that daunting 40 yard FG attempt didn't change the approach in the 4th???? Really? And about Thorson's INT....

This season has been a train wreck so far. I'd hate to see what your definition of train wreck is if this season does not qualify.
Notre Dame and USC, both of whom have the same records as us, are train wrecks, because they're stocked with four and five star talent. We have three starters in our secondary out with injuries, and our "Franchise" is a shell of his former self, presumably also due to an injury.

Nebraska has now won seven out of its last eight football games. They don't suck. Armstrong has his issues, but he's also a good runner who did make some nice passes tonight. I think they finish second to Wisconsin in the B1G West this year. It's not like we just lost to Purdue.

Notre Dame and USC, both of whom have the same records as us, are train wrecks, because they're stocked with four and five star talent. We have three starters in our secondary out with injuries, and our "Franchise" is a shell of his former self, presumably also due to an injury.

We are 1-3 and have played every game at home. We started off 0-2 by losing at home to a MAC team and a DII team. Our OL is comparable to a HS OL, our kicker is so bad that our head coach went into the season saying that he would not look to attempt a FG of over 30 yards, our WRs are improved but still very bad considering that our best WR by a mile is a former walk-on. Our defense is riddled with injuries and our star players are either hurt or badly underperforming. Forget about the star argument. We have recruited very well but our staff has been unable to properly develop the talent. This is a train wreck.

Nebraska has now won seven out of its last eight football games. They don't suck. Armstrong has his issues, but he's also a good runner who did make some nice passes tonight. I think they finish second to Wisconsin in the B1G West this year. It's not like we just lost to Purdue.

Please, who have they played? A decent team would have beaten Nebraska by 10 + points.

Surely you jest. He didn't lose us the game, but 4 points off the Board and a fake in lieu of that daunting 40 yard FG attempt didn't change the approach in the 4th???? Really? And about Thorson's INT....
That was all bad and pretty much inexcusable, I agree. I just also think we were very lucky to still be in the game after those two fumbles.

Please, who have they played? A decent team would have beaten Nebraska by 10 + points.
They beat UCLA and Oregon in that stretch. Their only loss was to an undefeated Iowa team.

I'm not really here to defend Nebraska, but to me, this loss doesn't hurt nearly as much as the ISU one did. We played pretty much the same as last week against Duke, but went up against a better opponent this week. So it goes.

"this loss doesn't hurt nearly as much as the ISU one did"

Really? That's the understatement of the century. Yes, we played pretty much like we did last week and lost to a team that sucks slightly less than Duke does. Please spare me the Duke beat Notre Dame argument. The reason this one hurts a lot is that this was a very winnable game at home against a Big Ten opponent who is not very good. This does not bode well for the rest of our schedule when we are mostly on the road against much better teams like Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan State and Iowa. Barring some miraculous improvement, those are 4 more losses right there. We are now facing a season with a record of 5-7 or worse coming off a 10 win season with a lot of positive momentum for the program. All of that has just gone out the window.

They have a way to go before mediocrity is a possibility.

The reason this one hurts a lot is that this was a very winnable game at home against a Big Ten opponent who is not very good.

Nebraska is a better team than we are. They gained over 550 yards on our defense, and the only reason it was a "winnable" game for us was because they fumbled twice on the goalline. They should have beaten us by 20. I hate to say it, but that's how I feel. We're not a particularly good football team, and there's lots of blame to go around for that.

We had receivers, and we had an offensive philosophy that wasn't built around ball control...when we can't even keep a drive going for two minutes...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT