ADVERTISEMENT

NU’s historical attempts to hire the right coach

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
The threads calling for a new coach often contain a “this is who we need” component, most often identifying either a big name coach or a mid major coach perceived to be on the rise.
I would argue that Larry Glass, who quit during the 68-69 season, was the last successful Cats’ coach, though if someone wanted to say the only successful one was Dutch Lonborg, who was before my time, they could probably persuade me.
In the 53 years since Glass left, they have had 8 head coaches. Three had at least some high profile success: Tex Winter, Bill Foster and Kevin O’Neill. Two were internal promotions without previous head coaching experience: Brad Snyder and Rich Falk. The other three were basically one-offs: Ricky Byrdsong had limited success at a mid major (Detroit Mercy), Bill Carmody some success at an Ivy (Princeton), and Chris Collins was an assistant at a very high profile program.

While hardly a huge sample, it looks to me that the one strategy NU has not invested in is hiring a hot mid major coach: Byrdsong had only one winning season out of six at Detroit Mercy, and that was 15-12. Maybe that is the way to go this time.

As a side note, I think the only NU former players currently active in coaching are Pat Baldwin and Tevaras Hardy, though Rex Walters was an NBA assistant last year. None were terribly successful.

While hardly a huge sample, it looks to me that the one strategy NU has not invested in is hiring a hot mid major coach: Byrdsong had only one winning season out of six at Detroit Mercy, and that was 15-12. Maybe that is the way to go this time.

I dunno how "hot" of a candidate Carmody was at the time, but he went 92-25 in four seasons at Princeton and still holds the record for best career winning percentage in Ivy League history. I'd take someone with a resume like that now.

I dunno how "hot" of a candidate Carmody was at the time, but he went 92-25 in four seasons at Princeton and still holds the record for best career winning percentage in Ivy League history. I'd take someone with a resume like that now.
I thought Carmody was a very good pick, and he was successful at Princeton. I made a distinction of the Ivy League from other D1 non-power schools because of the scholarship rules at them. Recruiting there is different than at other D1 schools.

In theory, a coach who gets Bill Bradley level players at an Ivy and wins in the NCAA's would be a great fit at NU.

Best not to try, then.

I liked Carmody a lot, and compared to his predecessors, he got the Cats to some marginally competitive seasons. He did struggle at Holy Cross in his years there, which kind of makes my point about the difference between hiring an up and coming mid major coach and a successful Ivy League coach.
A mid major coach has to recruit without the help a power conference coach gets in media exposure, name recognition and budget size. An Ivy coach hast recruit on the combination of academics and personal opportunity. For either to be really successful, they also have to be able to build a team that plays cohesively within a design.
The downside of hiring an Ivy coach is that on the recruiting side, the assets they bring to the table, NU already has. My point about being able to get the Bill Bradley was in large part sarcastic. On the other hand, a mid major coach who has hit gold has some real recruiting chops that COULD help NU. The caveat is that a lot of mid major successes have been built on players who could not pass NU admissions standards. That is why, in a prior discussion, I used St. Mary’s (which beat Gonzaga Saturday night) as a viable model.

My overarching point is that we have tried name coaches, an Ivy coach, internal hires, and a promising assistant from maybe the most successful program in the country. The only approach I can think of that we haven’t tried is hiring a really hot mid major coach who used a recruiting approach that could also be used at NU.

Reactions: Styre and ubercat
I liked Carmody a lot, and compared to his predecessors, he got the Cats to some marginally competitive seasons. He did struggle at Holy Cross in his years there, which kind of makes my point about the difference between hiring an up and coming mid major coach and a successful Ivy League coach.
A mid major coach has to recruit without the help a power conference coach gets in media exposure, name recognition and budget size. An Ivy coach hast recruit on the combination of academics and personal opportunity. For either to be really successful, they also have to be able to build a team that plays cohesively within a design.
The downside of hiring an Ivy coach is that on the recruiting side, the assets they bring to the table, NU already has. My point about being able to get the Bill Bradley was in large part sarcastic. On the other hand, a mid major coach who has hit gold has some real recruiting chops that COULD help NU. The caveat is that a lot of mid major successes have been built on players who could not pass NU admissions standards. That is why, in a prior discussion, I used St. Mary’s (which beat Gonzaga Saturday night) as a viable model.

My overarching point is that we have tried name coaches, an Ivy coach, internal hires, and a promising assistant from maybe the most successful program in the country. The only approach I can think of that we haven’t tried is hiring a really hot mid major coach who used a recruiting approach that could also be used at NU.
Great thoughts.

There are tons of those mid major coaches. In my mind that's a start. And then you look deeper into how they became successful. Was it just hitting on a couple of players that were clearly more than mid major talent? What style do they play and how does that fit into a scenario where they will probably have to work with slightly below average talent

An example, based on very limited knowledge... The name of Dennis Gates really gets me excited. What he did at Cleveland State is remarkable. He has experience as an assistant at Florida State, giving him some good P6 background. He is from Chicago.

1) He completely changed the culture from the get go. I think only 1 player stayed after he laid down the rules for being part of the team
2) He recruited heavily in JuCo's. And for hussle. Reminding me of what Piekell or, going back, Brad Stevenson looked for. Hussle.
3) He does not have clear studs on the roster. It is a team effort
4) How does that translate to NU? Well, he did not try to be FL St. in Cleveland, he adapted to the environment. That's promising. He had no recruiting advantages, and probably had disadvantages, seeing the the program was a joke, compared to the rest of the league. That's promising. They play share the ball basketball, no Audige style of play. That's promising.

I don't know enough to comment any further. Saw a few of their games, but no big opinion on in game coaching. Truth is also his profile was hot last off season, it is bound to be hotter this off season. To the point that he can aim for a much more established program than NU. So the Gates train has probably left the station.

Last edited:
The threads calling for a new coach often contain a “this is who we need” component, most often identifying either a big name coach or a mid major coach perceived to be on the rise.
I would argue that Larry Glass, who quit during the 68-69 season, was the last successful Cats’ coach, though if someone wanted to say the only successful one was Dutch Lonborg, who was before my time, they could probably persuade me.
In the 53 years since Glass left, they have had 8 head coaches. Three had at least some high profile success: Tex Winter, Bill Foster and Kevin O’Neill. Two were internal promotions without previous head coaching experience: Brad Snyder and Rich Falk. The other three were basically one-offs: Ricky Byrdsong had limited success at a mid major (Detroit Mercy), Bill Carmody some success at an Ivy (Princeton), and Chris Collins was an assistant at a very high profile program.

As a side note, I think the only NU former players currently active in coaching are Pat Baldwin and Tevaras Hardy, though Rex Walters was an NBA assistant last year. None were terribly successful.

KON was not a culture fit whatsoever but he was considered arguably the best recruiter and best turnaround artist head coach in America at the time--even the Sun Times (I believe) called the hire inspired. While Tennessee was not a mid-major, it was a last place program in a basketball in the backseat conference and within 3 years he had 2 top 5 recruiting classes. But he flamed out as bad as anyone we've had in my lifetime. I think KON, BC and CC were all potentially great hires with 3 very different backgrounds. KON was a dismal failure. BC dramatically stabilized the program and got us to multiple NITs and competitive teams in a row. CC got us to the tourney and better talent overall, but having trouble sustaining that level.

... I think KON, BC and CC were all potentially great hires with 3 very different backgrounds. ...
Great point that is rarely said.

I'm not a BC guy at all, but considering when O'Neill jumped ship in September and when most schools had already started, that was a GREAT hire.

Reactions: ubercat and Styre
I'd like to add one more coaching "model" that NU hasn't tried. GROSSLY overpaying someone who is already successful. I'm not saying $4-5M. I'm saying $7-10.

I know the chances of it happening are slim and none. But it's a different world. NU once didn't have the money. Now they do.

I think all these coaches have a price and you can overpay to get the right guy. $10M is a small price for a coach to risk his career here. If you can get the right guy to straighten out this mess, I'd bet the ROI on that additional $7-8M is worth it.

Reactions: Styre
How more likely is it that a coach in his late 50's or early 60's would accept to come to Evanston? Just a challenge, not worried about a career as this would be his last hurrah?

Ah, fair. I didn't realize you were distinguishing between mid-majors and the Ivy League. I was just saying that if someone had the same resume as Princeton Carmody at any mid-major I'd be thrilled to hire them.

Ah, fair. I didn't realize you were distinguishing between mid-majors and the Ivy League. I was just saying that if someone had the same resume as Princeton Carmody at any mid-major I'd be thrilled to hire them.
If Tommy Amaker wanted to give it the P5 one more try, would yall be on board? A truly hot mid major coach (think Shaka Smart at VCU) is unlikely to come here because they can land more stable jobs, but there's a chance that a guy who is a bit more of a "second chance" type candidate would strongly consider NU.

Amaker's profile may be too similar to Carmody (Princeton) and Collins (Duke) so the AD may not want to go back down that path, but thought I would throw his name out there.

Finally, we probably should have just tried to get Porter Moser last year. . .

If Tommy Amaker wanted to give it the P5 one more try, would yall be on board? A truly hot mid major coach (think Shaka Smart at VCU) is unlikely to come here because they can land more stable jobs, but there's a chance that a guy who is a bit more of a "second chance" type candidate would strongly consider NU.

Amaker's profile may be too similar to Carmody (Princeton) and Collins (Duke) so the AD may not want to go back down that path, but thought I would throw his name out there.

I don't think an AD would consider a coach that, if he failed, could be easily seen as a repetition of things done in the past that did not work. That's what Amaker would, to a great extent, feel like. With the added bonus he bombed in the B1G, with a lot more to work with.

BC and CC were not that, they were hires that made some sense when they happened.

Plain and simple. Collins should have been relieved of his position last year or the year before, his contract eaten and Porter Moser named the Head Coach. Done. I have watched CC grow up personally, spoken with him, watched him practice, play, seen him win games and lose them. He is a spoiled brat, who plainly is in over his head. I could go on and on about him. I know his Dad and Mom. Mom is a sweet person. That's all I'll say.

Plain and simple. Collins should have been relieved of his position last year or the year before, his contract eaten and Porter Moser named the Head Coach. Done. I have watched CC grow up personally, spoken with him, watched him practice, play, seen him win games and lose them. He is a spoiled brat, who plainly is in over his head. I could go on and on about him. I know his Dad and Mom. Mom is a sweet person. That's all I'll say.
Wow. Wow. I can't believe I just read that. Its apparently much worse than I suspected.

I thought Carmody was a very good pick, and he was successful at Princeton. I made a distinction of the Ivy League from other D1 non-power schools because of the scholarship rules at them. Recruiting there is different than at other D1 schools.

In theory, a coach who gets Bill Bradley level players at an Ivy and wins in the NCAA's would be a great fit at NU.
Cappy Cappon was the coach at Princeton that enticed Bill Bradley to enroll. Cappy died in BB's non-varsity freshman year. Butch VBK was the coach of Princeton during the Bradley years, finishing 3rd in the NCAA in 1965. Princeton had several basketball greats-Bill Bradley, Geoff Petrie and Brian Taylor come to mind. Pete Carrill took over for BVBK and he was followed by Bill Carmody

So you throw this shade and the retreat to “That’s all I’ll say” ? C’mon man, either spill the guts or don’t bring it up.

So you throw this shade and the retreat to “That’s all I’ll say” ? C’mon man, either spill the guts or don’t bring it up.
PPD, I have other things going on. Sorry to leave you hanging. As I said in another post today, I worked very closely with the Bulls daily, in a sometimes direct and indirect manner. I encompass days from Orlando Woolridge, Charles, MJ, Horace, Scottie, Pax, BJ, Rodman, etc. I also spoke regularly with Tex, Bach, DC, Phil, Jerry Krause, Trainers like Chip and Equipment Managers. I was with all the sportswriters, NBA hosts and color commentators as well. I had a very cool career. I also had the privilege to work with soccer, hockey, minor league basketball, tennis stars, some professional football players too. Quick story. I was with an AWOL Bears player drinking beers, eating pizza and dancing with some pretty girls for about three days and nights while his agent was taking care of business, during the 80's. Anyway, I got to know Doug, his wife and CCC through my employment. CCC is an animated kid that really hasn't grown up. Why do you think Brian James is with him? James was fortunate to have good players like CCC and Billy Donlon play for him and put GBN on the Illinois HS map for awhile. As a couple of my fellow board pals know, I have some good sources for our football and basketball teams. If I spilled too much, I would lose those sources. I keep it close to the vest PPD. All I can say to finish this is, I was excited when CCC got the position as our HC, but I quickly saw that the CCC I knew as a kid, hadn't changed all that much, if at all. I hope that gives you some clarity of my credentials at least.

PPD, I have other things going on. Sorry to leave you hanging. As I said in another post today, I worked very closely with the Bulls daily, in a sometimes direct and indirect manner. I encompass days from Orlando Woolridge, Charles, MJ, Horace, Scottie, Pax, BJ, Rodman, etc. I also spoke regularly with Tex, Bach, DC, Phil, Jerry Krause, Trainers like Chip and Equipment Managers. I was with all the sportswriters, NBA hosts and color commentators as well. I had a very cool career. I also had the privilege to work with soccer, hockey, minor league basketball, tennis stars, some professional football players too. Quick story. I was with an AWOL Bears player drinking beers, eating pizza and dancing with some pretty girls for about three days and nights while his agent was taking care of business, during the 80's. Anyway, I got to know Doug, his wife and CCC through my employment. CCC is an animated kid that really hasn't grown up. Why do you think Brian James is with him? James was fortunate to have good players like CCC and Billy Donlon play for him and put GBN on the Illinois HS map for awhile. As a couple of my fellow board pals know, I have some good sources for our football and basketball teams. If I spilled too much, I would lose those sources. I keep it close to the vest PPD. All I can say to finish this is, I was excited when CCC got the position as our HC, but I quickly saw that the CCC I knew as a kid, hadn't changed all that much, if at all. I hope that gives you some clarity of my credentials at least.
Sounds like a great time. I worked the scorer's table at Bulls games in the mid 80's. Maybe I saw you around.

Reactions: nu greek
Thanks. I don’t doubt your credibility. Just seemed like the timing was throwing gasoline on burning fire. I don’t know CCC at all. Although, I have been very outspoken on my belief that CCC is not the only reason or even the main reason NU basketball is where it is at, the situation is close to untenable going forward. I think Brumbaugh’s decommit was the nail in the coffin for CCC. Not the melt down against Rutgers or the 2 losses to PSU. Just can’t keep selling the future when you have so many consecutive losing seasons, If he makes it to next year, he’ll be gone after the season as making the tourney seems far fetched with this squad. Maybe a new guy can bring a couple of pieces ( a closer) when he comes here.

Sounds like a great time. I worked the scorer's table at Bulls games in the mid 80's. Maybe I saw you around.
You may have Willy. We were both much younger to be sure. I look a bit different from the guy you know!!!

Sounds like an awesome and interesting career! Let this board know if you ever do a podcast! I love the behind the scenes perspective.

Great thoughts.

There are tons of those mid major coaches. In my mind that's a start. And then you look deeper into how they became successful. Was it just hitting on a couple of players that were clearly more than mid major talent? What style do they play and how does that fit into a scenario where they will probably have to work with slightly below average talent

An example, based on very limited knowledge... The name of Dennis Gates really gets me excited. What he did at Cleveland State is remarkable. He has experience as an assistant at Florida State, giving him some good P6 background. He is from Chicago.

1) He completely changed the culture from the get go. I think only 1 player stayed after he laid down the rules for being part of the team
2) He recruited heavily in JuCo's. And for hussle. Reminding me of what Piekell or, going back, Brad Stevenson looked for. Hussle.
4) How does that translate to NU? Well, he did not try to be FL St. in Cleveland, he adapted to the environment. That's promising. He had no recruiting advantages, and probably had disadvantages, seeing the the program was a joke, compared to the rest of the league. That's promising. They play share the ball basketball, no Audige style of play. That's promising.

I don't know enough to comment any further. Saw a few of their games, but no big opinion on in game coaching. Truth is also his profile was hot last off season, it is bound to be hotter this off season. To the point that he can aim for a much more established program than NU. So the Gates train has probably left the station.

Lots to like about Gates. The more I hear, the more I like what I’m hearing…

“Gates played college basketball at California where he was a two-time first-team All-Academic selection in the PAC-10 having graduated in three years, playing his senior season as a master's degree candidate.Gates was also a member of Cal's 2002 NCAA Tourney team.”

Reactions: ubercat
Lots to like about Gates. The more I hear, the more I like what I’m hearing…

“Gates played college basketball at California where he was a two-time first-team All-Academic selection in the PAC-10 having graduated in three years, playing his senior season as a master's degree candidate.Gates was also a member of Cal's 2002 NCAA Tourney team.”
I REALLY like Gates. And he's not just from Chicago (the way Collins is from "Chicago") Gates went to Whitney Young which is one of the most prominent and well known schools in the City (Michelle Obama went there and on the basketball side Okafor from Duke). Gatees would be a really, really, solid pick.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I REALLY like Gates. And he's not just from Chicago (the way Collins is from "Chicago") Gates went to Whitney Young which is one of the most prominent and well known schools in the City (Michelle Obama went there and on the basketball side Okafor from Duke). Gatees would be a really, really, solid pick.

Pick for what?

Didn’t Gates go to Westinghouse?

He’s got kids in school, staying in the Chicago area might have tipped the scales in our favor. Also North Shore > Norman
Perhaps, I think we are stuck with Collins for next year as well so it was nice to speculate.....

Great thoughts.

Cleveland State season ticket holder here. Gates is awesome! As good of a coach as he is, he is an even better person.
His in game coaching for the most part is good. There have only been a couple of games where I thought he should have maybe changed to a zone down the stretch, as the other teams found mis-matches with the man to man and kept driving the ball to the rim.
I actually talked to him at a pre-season event before this season about him being quite a popular name after last season, and he said that the grass isn’t always greener somewhere else. CSU reworked his contract after last season, and he is now the highest paid coach in the Horizon League, and I’m hearing rumblings about a new arena being planned.
I don’t think he would leave CSU for just any high major job, and I have a feeling FSU may be in play for him when Leonard Hamilton retires. I think if he can get Florida State down the line, he’d never come to NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT