ADVERTISEMENT

NU 30th in AP Poll; 27th in Coaches'

It does mean that we’d have a good chance of being ranked in the coaches poll if we win. Would take 2 convincing wins probably to get into AP before Michigan.

Caveat that preseason and super early season polls shouldn't matter. That said:
  • So a team that finished 4-7 last year immediately vaults into the top 25 based on a victory over *checks notes* Charleston Southern?
  • A team that finished last year 7-6 (4-5), losing its bowl, is not only ranked in the preseason but moves up a spot based on beating Bowling Green (a team that finished 2-10 last year)?
  • A team that finished 7-6 (3-6) last year is getting more votes than us because of a win over *squints* Weber State?
  • Boston College, a team that hasn't finished better than 7-6 since 2009, finished 7-6 (4-4) last year, lost to a team we beat in their bowl, opens up with a win again UMass, and immediately gets more votes than us?
I'm sorry, but these rankings are a dick-slap across the face of this program. Quarterback uncertainty or not, not ranking a team coming off of a 10-3 (7-2) season with a bowl win, winning 8 in a row against P5 teams and then opening up the next season with a road, national TV, conference victory against another P5 team (whose bandwagon was PLENTY full...oh bow down to god-king Jeffrey Brohm and his disciple Brady, he of tender age but such astounding maturity) is absolutely ridiculous and a complete sign of disrespect.

Not even to mention the teams that fell out of the rankings this week who look like the Arlington Cowboys U14 squad could have handled.

I am mad online.

• So a team that finished 4-7 last year immediately vaults into the top 25 based on a victory over *checks notes* Charleston Southern?
  • A team that finished last year 7-6 (4-5), losing its bowl, is not only ranked in the preseason but moves up a spot based on beating Bowling Green (a team that finished 2-10 last year)?
  • A team that finished 7-6 (3-6) last year is getting more votes than us because of a win over *squints* Weber State?
  • Boston College, a team that hasn't finished better than 7-6 since 2009, finished 7-6 (4-4) last year, lost to a team we beat in their bowl, opens up with a win again UMass, and immediately gets more votes than us?
I'm sorry, but these rankings are a dick-slap across the face of this program. Quarterback uncertainty or not, not ranking a team coming off of a 10-3 (7-2) season with a bowl win, winning 8 in a row against P5 teams and then opening up the next season with a road, national TV, conference victory against another P5 team (whose bandwagon was PLENTY full...oh bow down to god-king Jeffrey Brohm and his disciple Brady, he of tender age but such astounding maturity) is absolutely ridiculous and a complete sign of disrespect.

Not even to mention the teams that fell out of the rankings this week who look like the Arlington Cowboys U14 squad could have handled.

I am mad online.
Nicely done!

I am mad online.
That's how this sport is; unless you loudly change public perception (as programs like Boise State, Stanford, and TCU have done), you don't get the benefit of the doubt in the early polls.

We've had historic success for our program the past couple of years, but to get early poll respect, you need more than that. You have to do what we did in the mid-90s when we were the talk of the nation. NY6 bowls, multiple double digit win season, conference/division crowns.

CT's injury came at the best time and worst time. Best time because he had the whole season to recuperate..., worst time because it meant we got left off all the preseason polls which matter for recruiting and public perception. It is what it is; just keep winning until nobody can ignore you; that's how Boise State got to where they are. It's what we have to do too...

I am mad online.

Screw Turk and Gocatsgo! You are my new hero with this astute, poignant,and hilariously funny post! I got a man crush on you and am following your every written word. “So it is written, So it shall be done!!”

Reactions: NUCat320
That's how this sport is; unless you loudly change public perception (as programs like Boise State, Stanford, and TCU have done), you don't get the benefit of the doubt in the early polls.

We've had historic success for our program the past couple of years, but to get early poll respect, you need more than that. You have to do what we did in the mid-90s when we were the talk of the nation. NY6 bowls, multiple double digit win season, conference/division crowns.

CT's injury came at the best time and worst time. Best time because he had the whole season to recuperate..., worst time because it meant we got left off all the preseason polls which matter for recruiting and public perception. It is what it is; just keep winning until nobody can ignore you; that's how Boise State got to where they are. It's what we have to do too...
They look at returning production, recruiting rankings, and tradition. They tend to over emphasis the losses. How can NU survive the loss of JJTBC etc. win and it takes care of itself.

I agree it doesn't matter much. But with any other name than Northwestern - not necessarily a blue blood - an Iowa, a Georgia Tech, Arizona State, whoever. If those teams had won 9 straight against P5 opponents they would rank at or near the top 10. This is a very good football team and the average AP voter hasn't caught on yet.

I agree it doesn't matter much. But with any other name than Northwestern - not necessarily a blue blood - an Iowa, a Georgia Tech, Arizona State, whoever. If those teams had won 9 straight against P5 opponents they would rank at or near the top 10. This is a very good football team and the average AP voter hasn't caught on yet.

Well, we will see how good they are during the next few weeks. For now, I'd just settle for avenging the 41-17 pounding Duke gave the Cats last year.

Slight correction. We had ONE double digit win team in 90s.

I think we are under the radar due to lack of big game wins and also melting under the hot lights. Our win was on Thursday night. Our bowl was like December 29th. Our 3 overtime wins were against ok teams (at the time) after we had already lost three games.

Other notables

Three excruciating losses to Mich
Crushed by Tenn
Late collapse against OSU
Crushed Ped State but went 5-7 that year.
Won a cage match against Wisconsin but went 7-6 that year.
Beat ND in a year we were both down.
I love winning 9 or 10 games and winning bowls, but we won't see that prerennial early/over ranking until we are consistently successful in highly visible situations. We have 4+ statement games this year. Good opportunity

Manziel is a college legend based on about 5 games, for instance

Duke has some votes in the Coaches but nothing in AP. Not that any of this matters a whole lot at this point, but its still fun to follow.
disrespect. Appy St drops 40 pts on psu and they stay at #10. We win on the road against a bowl winner that was pumped for this game and we arent a fart in the wind.

Honestly, this is right where we want to be.

Another way of looking at this:

There are 64 teams in the power 5 conferences, and Notre Dame is considered a de facto member, making 65 power teams.

Since October 7 of last year, 64 of those teams have lost to another Power team.

In one poll or the other, 23 teams (35%) of the Power teams are ranked.

The one team that has not lost since October 7 is not one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT