ADVERTISEMENT

NU QB Peyton Ramsey working to build bonds with new teammates

One thing that will be interesting to watch is how the wide receivers are used in a redesigned offense. I remember an article last year that asked B1G assistant coaches to anonymously comment on what they saw when reviewing other teams, and several commented on how the Cats relied heavily on mesh routes by the wideouts. I wondered for years which was the chicken and which was the egg under McCall: did the Cats rely on mesh routes because their receiver’s couldn’t get separation without picks, or did the routes limit the ability of the receivers to make plays on their own. I guess we will see.

Reactions: ricko654321
One thing that will be interesting to watch is how the wide receivers are used in a redesigned offense. I remember an article last year that asked B1G assistant coaches to anonymously comment on what they saw when reviewing other teams, and several commented on how the Cats relied heavily on mesh routes by the wideouts. I wondered for years which was the chicken and which was the egg under McCall: did the Cats rely on mesh routes because their receiver’s couldn’t get separation without picks, or did the routes limit the ability of the receivers to make plays on their own. I guess we will see.

I think you also need to factor in that mesh routes allow the QB to get rid of the ball fairly quickly, which has been a necessity with the play of our OL over the last decade.

I think you also need to factor in that mesh routes allow the QB to get rid of the ball fairly quickly, which has been a necessity with the play of our OL over the last decade.

In general the strategy also allowed DBs to disregard downfield passes and therefore they could press coverage at the LOS. I agree that the OL often broke down, but on those plays when it didn’t, the wide re rivers were usually constrained to a narrow, crowded range of operation.

Reactions: BarefootCat
In general the strategy also allowed DBs to disregard downfield passes and therefore they could press coverage at the LOS. I agree that the OL often broke down, but on those plays when it didn’t, the wide re rivers were usually constrained to a narrow, crowded range of operation.

Yes there is absolutely a tradeoff to that approach. But it’s what the staff felt needed to be done to scheme around the recurring problem with the OL. Cushing should have been launched at least five years before he ended up leaving.

Reactions: rogerkim
Yes there is absolutely a tradeoff to that approach. But it’s what the staff felt needed to be done to scheme around the recurring problem with the OL. Cushing should have been launched at least five years before he ended up leaving.
True with respect to Cushing, but at least he was well liked by the players and even some recruits. Mick, however, was around way to long and was loathed by virtually all of the skill position players on offense. Thankfully, for us, Clayton, JJTBC, Austin Carr, and lots of others bailed Mick out. Under Coach Jake and Coach Anderson, I predict we will shine like never before.

Last edited:
Mick, however, was around way to long and was loathed by virtually all of the skill position players on offense. Thankfully, for us, Clayton, JJTBC, Austin Carr, and lots of others bailed Mick out.

They bailed Mick out by running his offense effectively? Jimmies and Joes overcame X's and O's. Amazing.

True with respect to Cushing, but at least he was well liked by the players and even some recruits. Mick, however, was around way to long and was loathed by virtually all of the skill position players on offense. Thankfully, for us, Clayton, JJTBC, Austin Carr, and lots of others bailed Mick out. Under Coach Jake and Coach Anderson, I predict we will shine like never before.

No disrespect to Lou, but that’s the best “ I predict “ we’ve had in a long time No Chores.

Can we put a crystal ball on that?

GOUNUII

I don't want to rehash the whole McCall issue but in my book disliked coach does not necessarily equal bad coach. I obviously felt differently about McCall than many on here but I have no hesitation in saying that in comparison to Cushing, McCall should be considered for a coach of the century award.

Last edited:
X’s and O’s Don’t overcome the Jimmy and Joe’s especially in our previous scheme.

But JJ, Thorson, and Carr did just that. They set offensive records within Mick's offense. The proof is in the record books and in our trophy case.

Recruit more players like JJ, CT, and AC.

Last edited:
But JJ, Thorson, and Carr did just that. They set offensive records within Mick's offense. The proof is in the record books and in our trophy case.

Dang! You woke up at 3:13 am to type that? All those guys are in the NFL! I would have coached them to records from my couch! LOL

It took some of the best players in NU history for the offense to *just be mediocre.*

Anyone notice they don't mention Hunter on those player only zoom meetings?

You got a link for us?
It mentions it in the article... there are team-led calls by TJ Aidan and Marty. There’s no mention of Hunter.

If Hunter is 3rd and 4th string this season - assuming it happens - I have to imagine he’d transfer for his 5th graduate year. Bajakian was pretty clear that the players who perform the best will get the most snaps.

It mentions it in the article... there are team-led calls by TJ Aidan and Marty. There’s no mention of Hunter.

If Hunter is 3rd and 4th string this season - assuming it happens - I have to imagine he’d transfer for his 5th graduate year. Bajakian was pretty clear that the players who perform the best will get the most snaps.

We’re gonna make a mountain out of every molehill now?

Best case scenario this year is for Ramsey to start wire-to-wire with HuJo taking the reins next season. Kid has all the physical talent in the world, hopefully Bajakian can rebuild his confidence and a better scheme to set him up for a successful fifth year spent in Evanston.

Best case scenario this year is for Ramsey to start wire-to-wire with HuJo taking the reins next season. Kid has all the physical talent in the world, hopefully Bajakian can rebuild his confidence and a better scheme to set him up for a successful fifth year spent in Evanston.
Hopefully it’s nothing. But the article makes it a point to call out the other four QBs and not Hunter. It sounds like he’s more of an introvert so maybe that carries over to Zoom.

I posited this on the Rock months ago and was not taken seriously so I’ll ask it on the free board: does Hunter have good hips and hands? He has the speed and athleticism to be a B1G WR, and we could run some sick trick plays with him split out wide.

Plus several of our best WRs have been converted QBs...

Hopefully it’s nothing. But the article makes it a point to call out the other four QBs and not Hunter. It sounds like he’s more of an introvert so maybe that carries over to Zoom.

I posited this on the Rock months ago and was not taken seriously so I’ll ask it on the free board: does Hunter have good hips and hands? He has the speed and athleticism to be a B1G WR, and we could run some sick trick plays with him split out wide.

Plus several of our best WRs have been converted QBs...

It’s a single quote from Ramsey, nothing else.

No he’s not a good enough athlete to be a difference maker at WR. His greatest attribute is a truly great arm, hopefully everything else required for elite QB play comes along with it over time.

This. 100% this.

It’s a single quote from Ramsey, nothing else.

No he’s not a good enough athlete to be a difference maker at WR. His greatest attribute is a truly great arm, hopefully everything else required for elite QB play comes along with it over time.

Agreed that Hunter would not be a Power 5 level receiver.

There are plenty of doubts that Hunter needs to dispel after his dismal performance last year, but one of them is not his arm - which we know is elite. He gets a new start with Coach Jake and the new offense. I'm a huge fan of Hunter and wish him success at NU, but at the moment, in my mind he is 4th on the QB depth chart until he proves otherwise.

I love Hunter! I hope he starts. I also like Green! With Ramsey or either of those guys,we win 9 games! Minimum

Could it be that the leaders of the Zoom are based on program seniority, not merit based on last season's play? Nothing on the field suggested that Johnson deserves to be behind Smith and Marty.

Reactions: DaCat and willycat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT