ADVERTISEMENT

NU still in hunt for 2021 5-star Patrick Baldwin Jr.

That would be great and with the core that we have could put us in top 20-25 area. Could be enticing

I'd be shocked if he ends up in Evanston. Hope I'm wrong.

That's hardly going on a limb, there.

We've got to keep selling him on being NU's version of Christian Laettner or Michael Jordan. The guy who becomes synonymous with a university's entire athletic program for years to come.

Reactions: BarefootCat
I think the article was telling. His relationship with other players in his class and the ability to be with some other high-profile players in the same class seems like what he's looking for which we cannot offer. Schools like Kentucky and Duke probably have the best shot at him.

That's hardly going on a limb, there.

We've got to keep selling him on being NU's version of Christian Laettner or Michael Jordan. The guy who becomes synonymous with a university's entire athletic program for years to come.
Except that those guys weren't "one and dones". How many one year players have that kind of lasting impact on a school? Melo brought Syracuse its first championship, but they were already a top-tier program. Durant played a year at Texas but didn't really change the perception of the program.

He says he is into development now - ie playing with other similarly skilled players - and that academics can follow later in life. Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of going the NU route.

Reactions: runawayCat
I think the article was telling. His relationship with other players in his class and the ability to be with some other high-profile players in the same class seems like what he's looking for which we cannot offer. Schools like Kentucky and Duke probably have the best shot at him.
If Coach K retires, I wonder if Duke will lose its luster. He’ll turn 75 during PBJ’s freshman season and I don’t know what else he has to prove.

If Coach Cal at Kentucky is what appeals to him then we never had a chance.

So never say never... especially if CCC regains his mojo next year. I agree that it’s a looooongshot at this point.

Yeah, I think probably the biggest helper here would be if Max Christie decided to stay home and go with the Cats. Being able to play with another top ten player would help immensely.

But realistically they both end up at Duke.

Baldwin makes it pretty clear in this interview that he's not interested in putting a lot of effort into academics right now. Why not go to one of the traditional powers, play in front of far more fans with much better players and coaches, easy classes and enjoy your six or seven months of playing "college basketball?"

Baldwin makes it pretty clear in this interview that he's not interested in putting a lot of effort into academics right now. Why not go to one of the traditional powers, play in front of far more fans with much better players and coaches, easy classes and enjoy your six or seven months of playing "college basketball?"
I had the same takeaways.

Why not, I thought we had at least two other top 25 players including another top 10 recruit in the mix with the sell that they could come in together and do something truly special. A 4th top 50 kid too. I read here that CCC got the other three on campus at the same time, and PBJ unfortunately couldn't make it after originally planning on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT