ADVERTISEMENT

NU suspends workouts due to positive test

Pretty much every college football team in the power five will have the same problem within two weeks. Plus,every public elementary and middle School and high school will deal with this same issue once school starts in the fall. Ditto for every major University! So what is the solution? If we shut down the economy,we are facing an unmitigated disaster by May or June of next year,with a global currency collapse,which would be catostrophic..

NU had more than a handful of football guys show up to campus and test poitive last month.

On si.com there's an article about an o lineman from Indiana who's having some serious struggles with the virus. A young, healthy guy who is now having serious complications with a disease we know very little about. Why are these kids, and bottom line that's what they are, bein exposed to the dangers? Can't see any answer other than the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

On si.com there's an article about an o lineman from Indiana who's having some serious struggles with the virus. A young, healthy guy who is now having serious complications with a disease we know very little about. Why are these kids, and bottom line that's what they are, bein exposed to the dangers? Can't see any answer other than the pursuit of the almighty dollar.
How else will these programs pay millions of dollars to the coaches.

Agreed. WR, running backs,and defensive backs are in great shape . But offensive and defensive lineman,and their families and loved ones, some coaches, some fans,band members,all at risk ,for something we are not yet sure if. I did here of a positive treatment coming out of Isreal. Solid results.

Agreed. WR, running backs,and defensive backs are in great shape . But offensive and defensive lineman,and their families and loved ones, some coaches, some fans,band members,all at risk ,for something we are not yet sure if. I did here of a positive treatment coming out of Isreal. Solid results.
The coaches are at risk too.

A 31 year-old coach from Louisiana died of a heart attack on the field over the weekend. There’s no mention of coronavirus yet, but with emerging evidence that COVID causes heart complications I don’t know if there’s any connection.

He played college ball at Mississippi State but before we played them in the Gator Bowl. RIP.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...r-suffering-heart-attack-during-team-workout/

Reactions: Titanium999

his mom's social media post suggests that it could be heart issues. one of the starting pitchers for the red sox is out for the season with covid related myocarditis. i guess we'll see if they develop chronic heart problems from their acute heart issues.

Reactions: Gladeskat
his mom's social media post suggests that it could be heart issues. one of the starting pitchers for the red sox is out for the season with covid related myocarditis. i guess we'll see if they develop chronic heart problems from their acute heart issues.
Wow! Serious!

What are they practicing for? 2021?
I agree! Just wait till November 15 the. The real problem is what to do with the millions of children in public schools and their parents who have to find day care! Just like my recently retired golf game. Nobody really gives a crappolla about sports when the economy and families and loved ones are at risk!

I've gone from hoping there is a season to hoping there isn't
I don’t see how it happens. Players will get the virus, just like the overall student body. If the protocol is to shut down when anyone associated with the team tests positive, then every team will be shutting down.

If they proceed they better have a plan for WHEN they get positive results. If it is quarantine the entire team for two weeks, why bother?

I really really want football because I'm a selfish jerk, but yeah, I hope they don't try to do it. It just doesn't seem possible.
Don't feel like you are the only selfish jerk. But, yeah, based on what's going on, football doesn't seem feasible at this point.

Don't feel like you are the only selfish jerk. But, yeah, based on what's going on, football doesn't seem feasible at this point.
I love Big Ten Football! Just don't see it happening with the state mandated as they are currently.

This is a pretty good write up of the competing interests. I expect the Big Ten will play, and that we’ll see in-season cancellations.
https://www.theringer.com/2020/8/3/...wer-five-conferences-college-football-playoff
https://www.theringer.com/2020/8/3/...wer-five-conferences-college-football-playoff
Great article and it hit a lot of the points that I’ve espoused on here. The NCAA’s current structure appears to be on fumes.

While I’m now of the opinion that this season shouldn’t be played, I found this quote particular compelling - although it doesn’t feel like the MLB and NFL seasons will complete without a bubble:

“This level of disarray is unseen anywhere else in the American sports landscape. In the NBA, WNBA, NHL, NWSL, and MLS, the owners and players decided to play the seasons in contained bubbles. The owners and players in the NFL and MLB had more contentious negotiations, but both sides eventually came to agreements on health and financial protocols. It’s easy to see why these sports were better suited to reach such agreements than the NCAA. The richest and poorest NBA team owners are both billionaires who make huge sums of money off their teams; the richest and poorest NBA players are both pro athletes who have accepted the physical risks of sport in exchange for a paycheck. When the sides met to determine how to play games in a pandemic, the goals of both were clear, and a deal was struck.

College football has no such clarity.”

Great article and it hit a lot of the points that I’ve espoused on here. The NCAA’s current structure appears to be on fumes.

While I’m now of the opinion that this season shouldn’t be played, I found this quote particular compelling - although it doesn’t feel like the MLB and NFL seasons will complete without a bubble:

“This level of disarray is unseen anywhere else in the American sports landscape. In the NBA, WNBA, NHL, NWSL, and MLS, the owners and players decided to play the seasons in contained bubbles. The owners and players in the NFL and MLB had more contentious negotiations, but both sides eventually came to agreements on health and financial protocols. It’s easy to see why these sports were better suited to reach such agreements than the NCAA. The richest and poorest NBA team owners are both billionaires who make huge sums of money off their teams; the richest and poorest NBA players are both pro athletes who have accepted the physical risks of sport in exchange for a paycheck. When the sides met to determine how to play games in a pandemic, the goals of both were clear, and a deal was struck.

College football has no such clarity.”
Royal Caribbean just cancelled all travel to October 31st! Dang! I need a break!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT