ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Futility

Catdude

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
This is how many TDs we have scored in regulation of each Big 10 game this year.

Rutgers: 1 (garbage TD with 17 seconds left in game)
Minnesota: 4 (three in 4th Quarter)
Penn St: 1
Nebraska: 0
Maryland: 3
Iowa: 1 (TD with 1:55 left in game)

The fact that Braun has the team playing so hard and competing so well with essentially no offense in 2/3 of the games is really impressive. I’d love to see him get the opportunity to lead this program with a decent offense that can consistently score 20+. Right now the defense has to be almost perfect to keep us in most of these games.

I think our defense can do really well the last three games of the season so we’ll see if the offense can put any points on the board to get a win or two.

This is how many TDs we have scored in regulation of each Big 10 game this year.

The fact that Braun has the team playing so hard and competing so well with essentially no offense in 2/3 of the games is really impressive. I’d love to see him get the opportunity to lead this program with a decent offense that can consistently score 20+. Right now the defense has to be almost perfect to keep us in most of these games.

I think our defense can do really well the last three games of the season so we’ll see if the offense can put any points on the board to get a win or two.
Iowa's D is the best we will face all year (also worst O). Illinois and PU are clearly worse Ds. Wisc is about the same as Neb for full season but they seem to be reeling on O with loss of QB and RB. Really wanted that Iowa game to get win 5 behind us.

Iowa's D is the best we will face all year (also worst O). Illinois and PU are clearly worse Ds. Wisc is about the same as Neb for full season but they seem to be reeling on O with loss of QB and RB. Really wanted that Iowa game to get win 5 behind us.
Do you even watch the games before making these claims or do you just go by the very deceiving stats? I thought Iowa's D was very pedestrian and was significantly less talented than units they have fielded in the past. Penn State's defense was BY FAR The best defense we will face all year. Illinois' defense has some really solid talent, particularly up front.

Reactions: julescat
Do you even watch the games before making these claims or do you just go by the very deceiving stats? I thought Iowa's D was very pedestrian and was significantly less talented than units they have fielded in the past. Penn State's defense was BY FAR The best defense we will face all year. Illinois' defense has some really solid talent, particularly up front.
Just to be clear, you’re not suggesting that the Illinois defense is anywhere close to being as good as Iowa’s, correct?

I would agree that this Iowa defense has less talent and star power than some of their past defenses but they are extremely solid. Well coached and some very very good individual talents.

They haven’t faced great offenses, just like everyone in the west, but they are good. Agree that Penn State’s defense is better though. No doubt about that.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you’re not suggesting that the Illinois defense is anywhere close to being as good as Iowa’s, correct?

I would agree that this Iowa defense has less talent and star power than some of their past defenses but they are extremely solid. Well coached and some very very good individual talents.

They haven’t faced great offenses, just like everyone in the west, but they are good. Agree that Penn State’s defense is better though. No doubt about that.
Illinois is way more talented but much more inconsistent. No one on Iowa kept our coaches up at night. I have no idea how we are going to block Newton, Illinois stud DT.

I think we have been wishing for simply an average O for about a decade. Braun, PF, Tom, Dick, Harry … or kingdom for an offense

Reactions: drewjin

Illinois is way more talented but much more inconsistent. No one on Iowa kept our coaches up at night. I have no idea how we are going to block Newton, Illinois stud DT.

We would really suck if defense were played on talent alone.

And yet we lost the game because our punt team back line keeps backing into the punter. If the punt isn’t blocked I don’t think the Iowa O scores on us.

Maryland came close to blocking a punt the same way last week.

Is the problem coaching or talent?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
And yet we lost the game because our punt team back line keeps backing into the punter. If the punt isn’t blocked I don’t think the Iowa O scores on us.

Serious question - Was it the back line getting pushed back into the punter or was it the punter taking too many steps forward during his release and punt. I only saw one replay and expected to see an iowa player breaking through the back line to get a hand on the punt. Instead i saw the DL hold his position and saw the punter literally run up into the back line during his release. A rugby style punt with a long running start. Seems like this one is both on the special teams coaching and the punter. If he needs that much of a running start to make the punt, then maybe start 1 or 2 yards deeper?

So in this case both coaching and talent. Just not the back line blocking (which may be suspect, but not against iowa on this play in question).

At any rate, a seemingly slow release combined with the running start makes for a lot of close calls on getting that punt blocked and/or shanking the punt.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we got another punt blocked this season.

Serious question - Was it the back line getting pushed back into the punter or was it the punter taking too many steps forward during his release and punt. I only saw one replay and expected to see an iowa player breaking through the back line to get a hand on the punt. Instead i saw the DL hold his position and saw the punter literally run up into the back line during his release. A rugby style punt with a long running start. Seems like this one is both on the special teams coaching and the punter. If he needs that much of a running start to make the punt, then maybe start 1 or 2 yards deeper?

So in this case both coaching and talent. Just not the back line blocking (which may be suspect, but not against iowa on this play in question).

At any rate, a seemingly slow release combined with the running start makes for a lot of close calls on getting that punt blocked and/or shanking the punt.
Thanks for the insight. I didn’t tape either game since I haven’t rewatched the plays.

It is hard to fault either our offense or defense for Saturday's loss when our touchdown came from a well executed offensive drive compared to the opponent's gifted one due to a special teams miscue, and the game was then won by their near miracle field goal.

If there was ever a game that Special Teams for both teams won and lost, that was it.

It looked like he was intentionally doing low line drive punts somewhat rugby style where you run to the side. Those seem to have a slightly longer run-up and the lower trajectory led to the block.

The Iowa player's hand did touch the punt, but it looked like it would hit the NU blocker anyway.

Reactions: No Chores
Bajakian
Genyk
Anderson

Three dudes that kept their job for reasons other than ‘quality performance’
Which leads to the question, what was Fitz all about? And what could have been if he actually went for the best available coaches for both coordinators and position coaches. I mean his coaching tree is virtually non existent. Hankwitz really doesn't count as NU was his swan song gig.

Which leads to the question, what was Fitz all about? And what could have been if he actually went for the best available coaches for both coordinators and position coaches. I mean his coaching tree is virtually non existent. Hankwitz really doesn't count as NU was his swan song gig.
Fitz was about being and feeling like the man. He wasn’t into hiring assistants that could potentially outshine him.

Peaty... disagree with you on this. I think Fitz suffered from an extra loyalty gene....as well as using a consistent coaching staff as a recruiting tool...which was appropriate when we were winning.....and when we showed signs of snowballing down the hill he started pulling the plug on guys...and made some good hires this year. Braun and Bennis as evidence

Fitz was about being and feeling like the man. He wasn’t into hiring assistants that could potentially outshine him.

Interesting observation. I don't know about that but it has struck me that NU football is a particularly insular organization. I don't think, for example, I have ever heard Tim McGarigle speak. Of course, I haven't heard Coach Braun's new coaches speak either so there's that. Other than Coach Hankwitz' and Alex Spanos' brief periods of fame, Fitz has been the sole face of the organization. Now that I think of it, my impression is he rarely referred to individuals, coaches or players (at least in the heat of the season), always falling into coach speak. I always contrast his approach to that of Coach Fleck and Coach Ferentz who are quick to mention players and coaches. I suppose if he was at heart a ego-centric person, he would not have such a large devoted following. No matter now.

made some good hires this year. Braun and Bennis as evidence
Counterpoint, see: Bajakian, Genyk, Anderson, and JON. Can probably throw Spanos in there as well as we’ve been behind on our S&C for years. Lucking out on Braun is just that, when Fitz’s record of hiring assistants is so atrocious.

Counterpoint, see: Bajakian, Genyk, Anderson, and JON. Can probably throw Spanos in there as well as we’ve been behind on our S&C for years. Lucking out on Braun is just that, when Fitz’s record of hiring assistants is so atrocious.
Not fielding Hank level D yet. Let’s wait and see how it plays out before anointing a new hire to be any good. Hasn’t sucked is not same is pretty good.

Top 10? 25? Top quartile?

I’ve seen some top half, barely. Guess definition of suck is relevant. Good enough for participation trophies all around.

You can pick whatever metric you like, I guess… my eyeballs tell me 1) we are much-improved on defense with the same or arguably worse personnel and 2) the defense has been doing enough to keep us in most games.

As of right now, we are:
* #29 in Total Defense (331 YPG)
* #54 in Scoring Defense (24 PPG)
* #51 in Red Zone Defense (81.2%)

So… yeah, top half in the most pertinent statistics, top quartile in Total Defense. Not elite, but definitely doesn’t “suck,” especially as compared to the last two seasons.

How the heck is Braun “lucking out”? If you are eager to criticize the bad hires you might want to acknowledgment the good hires.

Iowa is winning games with their terrible offense, no? A ball control style can still win games.

Iowa is winning games with their terrible offense, no? A ball control style can still win games.
But will never win championships. That is why Wisconsin and Iowa, even when they were 10+ win teams, could not beat OSU or Mich in the CG or beat teams like Oregon and Florida in NYD bowls.

But will never win championships. That is why Wisconsin and Iowa, even when they were 10+ win teams, could not beat OSU or Mich in the CG or beat teams like Oregon and Florida in NYD bowls.

And why Iowa looked utterly helpless this year in a 31-0 loss to Penn State.

Next year, the divisions go away, so everyone is going to see at least a couple of OSU/PSU/Michigan/USC/Oregon/Washington on their schedule every year, and Iowa won't beat those teams by scoring 18.4 ppg no matter how good their defense is.

I think there might be some truth to that. He was given the job as a result of an out of the blue tragedy, no real coaching search if I remember correctly. He did well enough to keep the job, but maybe he was worried about being out done by a really hot up and comer. His best coordinators record wise were McCall and Hankwitz and once lost both, the bottom fell out. Bajakian ran a decent system at BC, even though they had a losing record. The JON hire still is a mystery. Fitz never went for a young up and comer type, that might have really amped up the program. He might have been too self conscious due to how he landed the job.

Pat Fitzgerald could string together a bunch of awful seasons yet still — as he reminded us in a press conference last year — receive fawning letters from admiring fans.

He was arguably the best Wildcat player since Otto. He broke the bowl drought and won division championships. He was bigger than the university in the eyes of the public. No hot shot candidate could come into Northwestern and outshine Fitz. That seems impossible.

And why Iowa looked utterly helpless this year in a 31-0 loss to Penn State.

Next year, the divisions go away, so everyone is going to see at least a couple of OSU/PSU/Michigan/USC/Oregon/Washington on their schedule every year, and Iowa won't beat those teams by scoring 18.4 ppg no matter how good their defense is.
Every team that isn't on that list will be fighting tooth and nail just to become bowl eligible. Next season we get Washington, OSU and Michigan back to back. 3 automatic losses. This setup will destroy most of the legacy programs from the original Western Conference, if not all of them. I can see the B1G splitting up in the not too distant future. Seriously, NU already has a small fan base, with somewhat mediocre student support, etc. Why would anyone bother coming to games or even caring if the chances of winning a title or even making a bowl appearance is very slim. I hope I am wrong, but after a few seasons of this I can see fans of various teams opting out altogether.

Reactions: 2388bb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT